“We had a wonderful experience. The room was super and the food could not have been better unless he did 3 meals per day” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1875 A Charters Inn

and 1 more site!
You added 1875 A Charters Inn to your Saves list
1875 A Charters Inn
290 Second Street, Midland, Ontario L4R 3R1, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Midland B&B and Inns
Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Vidalia onion tart was the best I have ever tasted. Coming from Georgia, I have had my share of Vidalia onions. The wild blueberry pancakes were good too! Great host and we did not lack for anything we needed. He even provided a deck of cards so we could play our evening games. We will stay again when we are in the area. Thanks Gerry! The Todds

Room Tip: Room off the courtyard was very romantic. We had breakfast there the first morning. Parking was ri...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

5 stars because booking earlier I could have gotten a better room and the room I did get is as it was described when booking. Our room is not listed on the website like the others and was a basic bed to crash with a TV and A/C in the room. Not a lot of space or electrical outlets but comfortable for sleeping. Location is right in the middle of everything so you can walk to dinner or the harbor. Breakfast was excellent and creative. Bathroom was shared, but available when I needed it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Gerry is a great host, entertaining, with a smile on his face all the time. The breakfast was extraordinary. Rooms are very clean.Great view from the porch. I would highly recommend the inn to everyone.

Vlad & Ana

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We had a really great stay at Gerry's guesthouse.
The rooms are clean and tidy.
The back patio is really nice with a hammack, a barbecue and a frieplace where you can enjoy your cold beer.
The breakfast was excellent and is a good start for your day.
Lucky enough for us their private boat was available and we went for a day trip in the 30000 islands !!!
The fact that the owner speak severall languages ( French for us ) and knows the area so well is a big big plus.
We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place.

Thanks a lot Gerry !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Orangeville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We loved our stay so much the first time, we recently went back to experience another round of Gerry's hospitality.

The main street of Midland and all of the little boutiques and shopping are only steps away from this small town gem. Amazing restaurants and lively pubs make this a very special weekend getaway with beautiful waterfront close by.

Midland is the gateway to fabulous Georgian Bay boating. We rented a slip for our boat at the town docks and parked our truck and trailer in Gerry's driveway with no issue for the entire weekend. (There is a free public launch a few minutes away.)

Gerry is the most laid back, easy going and hospitable host. Breakfast was served on the sprawling Victorian porch every morning. The first day featured a lovely egg dish with a Hollandaise style sauce, lots of fresh fruit, bagels, coffee and juices. The second morning we had Gerry's famous blueberry pancakes, with more fresh fruit and yogurt. Very delicious.

Gerry has a lovely home, you can choose the type of accommodation that suits you. We are also very impressed by his lovely gardens and spacious backyard where you can enjoy a cocktail before going out for the evening.

For top notch hospitality and service we will be returning to see Gerry again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ontario, cda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

The 1875 Charters Inn B&B I found highly recommended via Trip Advisor reviews. In addition to negotiating a nice price in my booking (even on a weekend!) Gerry even upgraded me to a room with a king -sized bed – what a treat – where I slept like a baby. The room was very spacious and comfortable and had a fireplace - though I didn't use it. The pic represented it's appearance accurately, though nothing could have described the comfie bed. Although downtown, the area is very quiet. Downtown Midland is extremely navigable and I had no problem finding it or anything else that I was looking for. I had dinner at The Library, right around the corner, so was able to walk there and enjoy those few drinks, while tapping my toes to the (live) tunes of Carey Worrod, downstairs at The Study. While having a menu of it’s own, patrons are able to order from either. I thoroughly enjoyed a well presented liver and onions with baby roasted potatoes and a vegetable medley all of which clearly spoke “fresh not frozen or pre-fab”.

Breakfast was wonderful. 1875 Charters Inn, having been voted “Best Gourmet Breakfast” did not disappoint. Gerry is enthusiastic about his craft and I really appreciated the real-life demonstration that “simple” can result in “special”

Conversation was also very nice, both with other guests over breakfast, and also with Gerry and his wife. I stayed at 1875 Charters Inn as a stop over on my way to the Bala Cranberry Festival but have since considered that Midland is worthy as a destination in itself and not just as the summer haven many of us think of it to be. Having been to most of the “sights” as a child it occurs to me, they warrant a revisiting and consideration through adult eyes. The downtown mural walk – 30 (plus) murals on the outsides of buildings over a relatively small area, depicting life in Midland past and present – also beckons to me. I will be back and I will definitely be looking to stay at 1875 Charters Inn.

We have so many wonderful things to explore right here in Ontario – perfect for a fall or spring weekend, or three or four day getaway. Right in our own backyards! Thank you Trip Advisor reporters, for sharing your experiences. The information totally removes any apprehension one might have as a solo traveller

Room Tip: Gerry loves to negotiate esp. off season.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

This is a boutique priced B&B but the finished off decor in the room we had was poorly done. The bed was a small English type double with side tables either side that you would turn over and bang into! Only had a bath in our room, it did have a shower attachment on the tap, but that could get messy! The bottom of the bath was rough and needed to be re enameled. The breakfasts are lovely though and he can advise you on most things,a very friendly and affabl chap,it's just that the rooms in themselves didn't live up to the price we had to pay. At the moment there is considerable road works and tree felling going on outside this B&B, no fault of the host,but it looks like an asteroid hit this road,the front of the B&B is tatty,stairs to front door uprooted and cracked,not a good first impression. It's hard when you liked the hot but the accommodation doesn't live up to the price you are asked to py and quite honestly it comes down to value for money and comfort.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. When we arrived people did just that after failing to negotiate a better price or...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Chartersinn, Owner at 1875 A Charters Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for your review. Some of your concerns have now been handled and we are striving to perfect anything we can. I do hope you will visit us again. Gerry.

Been to 1875 A Charters Inn? Share your experiences!