“Mixed Review” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Midland
Carling Township RR 1 Nobel ON CA
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My wife and I requested a room in a quiet location. We were given 306. At 2 a.m. there was a lot of yelling outside our door as well as people cursing and swearing at each other. I waited until 2:30 a.m. and called for security to resolve the situation. The desk clerk told me she was security and she would handle it. Not too successfully. The yelling stopped outside our door but continued next door in 308 until 3:30 a.m..At check out the clerk asked me how things went and I told her. She checked to see who was in 308 and said she knew who they were and was not surprised at the noise! My question is if the staff knows we want a quiet room; and the staff knows there are thoughtless people booked next to us; why put us in that room? Breakfast was fine for the most part; room was clean and comfortable. Hotel is being renovated.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room in a quiet location away from known night life.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
MidlandOn, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Highland Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for your detailed feedback on Trip advisor.
We are sorry to hear that you were disturbed due to noise by some guests during your stay.
We appreciate your comments which help us improve our services.
Asst. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Tillsonburg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were very happy with our stay. The beds were very comfortable and we slept very well. I would stay here again. Our daughter loved swimming in the pool and she couldn't wait to go in. In the morning after breakfast, she wanted to go in again. The hotel is very clean and the staff was very friendly. It is easy to find and it was convenient that there were other restaurants close by.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

MidlandOn, Manager at BEST WESTERN Plus Highland Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
We were delighted to read your comments on your recent stay with us.
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback of your recent stay with us. .

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Woodbridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Located in a quiet spot and just off the road. Walls and wood furniture in lobby and breakfast area tend to make everything look dark. Close to lake and town center. Front-desk Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were clean, spacious, quiet and comfortable. Internet service was good. Breakfast area was spacious and kept clean by attendants. Plenty of parking.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the pool area, some rooms have a view of the outside.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us,
It is a great pleasure to see that you enjoyed our hotel and services.
Thank you as well for complimenting our staff, this is a wonderful source of motivation for them.

Kind regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

This hotel is an excellent place to stay especially if you have children or in our case grandchildren. Our granddaughter just loves this place because of the big warm pool, and the morning buffet breakfast. On this occasion, we booked two rooms one for our daughter & granddaughter and one for our selves. They were side by side which made it easy to go back and forth between rooms. The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable, and quiet. It was also nice to be able to open a window, and not have the air conditioner on. We will definitely be back.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip advisor regarding your stay with us.

The entire team of the Best Western joins me to thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip advisor and highlighting the areas you and your family enjoyed during your stay with us.

Yours sincerely,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed here with my boyfriend after a wedding. I read the reviews on-line and was very impressed over all. I have family living in the area and their comments about this hotel have always been positive.

The hotel was nice enough: it is clearly a place where people with money go to be pampered. This is not a place for people pinching pennies. If my parents hadn't helped us to cover the cost, I would not have been able to stay there.

The grounds were nice; well taken care of with a planted flower garden. The main doors are automated (sliding), and this is it for the rest of the building. The main entrance is covered, and you can drive right up to it if you need to.

There are no other door openers/automated systems in place. All the rest of the doorways have heavy metal doors (with closers that are very fast). You will either need someone to help you or basically be Superman in a wheelchair. Front desk staff did not offer to help (I assume they thought my boyfriend would take care of it - which he did - but the offer would have been nice.

The hotel is HUGE. Walking from the check-in desk to our room (I was on crutches that day) exhausted me. I would have used a transfer chair just to get there (had they offered one). By the time we reached our room, I was drenched in sweat and my very elaborate up-do was falling apart from the exertion (and sweat) of the walk. All of the hallways are carpeted. I assume that this is to assist with noise reduction, but I can say that it definitely made my trek a lot harder.

There are no elevators to speak of (which I find odd for a "high-end" hotel like this) so they moved us to a room on the main floor. I have also been to this hotel for other occasions (using their party rooms). We have had to have my wheelchair carried down the stairs (neither occasion with me in it) and back up again due to a lack of elevator access. Be sure when you book, to ask for a room on the main floor, if you require access.

Walking to the room, you could smell the pool from down the hall. The smell of chlorine is very, very strong. If you have scent sensitivities, be aware.

Bathrooms in the hotel rooms are small, with extremely high bath tubs. You will need someone to help you in and out if you do not manage to book a wheelchair accessible suite (there is only *one* and it was already booked when we got there, according to desk clerk.

Bathrooms allocated to event spaces indicate that they are wheelchair accessible, but actually are not. They don't even come close. The doorways are extremely narrow. It took some precision turning, (plus assistance from an attendant) just to get in the door. And all the while, my chair is rubbing on the door frame - both sides - that is how narrow it is! Once inside, the "wheelchair" stalls are not big enough for wheelchair plus person plus attendant. It was barely big enough for wheelchair plus person and even then I couldn't close the door and had to pee for an audience.

Beds in the room are *very* high off of the ground. Chair to bed transfers are next to impossible. I basically had to throw myself into bed and have my attendant lift my legs while "wheelbarrowing" into bed. Extremely undignified and potentially disastrous if you need to get up in the middle of the night to pee. It means that someone has to get up with you and you get to do some middle of the night aerobics to get into bed.

There is space between the two beds for a wheelchair (it will be tight), but it is narrower on the sides.

When checking out, we were asked about our stay. Clerk seemed sympathetic to accessibility challenges, but didn't seem particularly interested in changing the situation or offering solutions to us.

For the money we paid to stay, I was disappointed. I have stayed at other hotels in the Midland area (less expensive than this) with better accessibility. If I absolutely had to, I would stay here again. But I can't see a situation where that would be necessary.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the main floor if you require wheelchair access; this building has NO public eleva...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed feedback on Trip advisor.
We are sorry to hear that due to the building structure you had difficulty and limited movement around the hotel.
We appreciate your comments which help us improve our services.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Great facility, friendly staff, great included facility and close to all tourist attractions. The Best Western Plus Highland Inn and Conference Centre very well equipped to have a large party and equally great for a couples. Five minutes away from the very famous Martyrs Shrine. A must to visit.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us,
It is a great pleasure to see that you enjoyed our hotel and services.

Kind regards,
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Great accommodation. We had a family suite. Very large and spacious. The bathroom and room was clean and comfortable. Even better was the service. The only issue were the stairs otherwise all good. Pool and hot tub was a plus.

• Stayed July 2014

The entire team of the Best Western joins me to thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip advisor and highlighting the areas you liked during your stay.

Yours sincerely,
Asst. General Manager

Been to BEST WESTERN Plus Highland Inn & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!