“Good Motel in Midland” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SilverStar Motel

You added SilverStar Motel to your Saves list
SilverStar Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   748 Yonge Street, Midland, Ontario L4R2E5, Canada (Formerly Chalet Motel)   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Midland
Toronto, Canada
“Good Motel in Midland”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

My pals and I stayed for a couple of nights this July at the Ashgrove Inn whilst on a golfing trip in the area; glad we did, as it is in a very good location, friendly management, clean and well appointed. Nothing too fancy, moderately priced and has everything one needs for a small town motel. Midland has good pubs and restaurants, all close to hand.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms best for quiet, set back from the road.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels. Some great, some not so great. This one is definitely among the top 3 of the absolute worst hotels that I have ever stayed in. First off, the owner asked me a million questions. Not security related but about myself, why I was staying there, if I would have any guests come to the room...etc. I found it to be none of his business regarding the purpose of my visit or if I was going to have a visitor in the room. As well, for me to change from a king bed to two doubles, he charged me $30 more than was quoted to me on hotels.com.

Now for the room. He told me that he had two rooms available with double beds. One smoking and one non-smoking. I am not a smoker so I wanted the non-smoking. He then insisted I take the smoking room since he said it was the “nicer of the two.” When I walked in, I was greeted by the rich smell of stale tobacco and mould. There were stains all over the carpet and I felt like I could not walk barefoot because I really didn’t know how clean the room was. As well, there was a weird, tiny black sphere in front of the TV. It looked out of place and to my horror, I am pretty sure that it was a camera. This made me completely uncomfortable and felt my privacy was being violated. I covered the sphere for fear that we were being watched. The fan in the bathroom was so loud that it was almost ear piercing when I would turn on the light. There was no drain in the bathtub and toiletries were seriously lacking. The beds were very uncomfortable and the pillows may as well have been made from paper. They were so thin that it felt like you were just lying on the mattress.

It doesn’t end there. I had two good friends who were attending the same event the next day and they had a problem with their hotel reservation at another hotel. Their room was not secured and they did not have anywhere else to go. Naturally, I told the owner when I first got there that I wouldn’t have visitors because that was originally the plan. However, the plans changed…at 3 in the morning. Completely unexpected. My friend left from his job at midnight and came down to get his hotel. They gave away his reservation due to how long he took to arrive. So I got the call around 3 and didn’t want my friends to be put out. I figured I could bunk with my friend and the two girls could share the other bed. I figured since it was 3 am, I did not want to disturb the owners and figured I would square up additional costs in the morning.

As soon as my friends came through my door to my room. The phone rang at 3am with the owner accusing me of lying and telling me that they had to pay to stay there. I found this to be highly irritating and just downright rude. I then was told to make sure that I was quiet for the other guests, despite me having been sleeping til 3am and quiet. I had a marathon run the next day and didn’t have any intention of partying, so not sure what that was all about. The next day I came into the office with my friends and he made them pay for staying 4 hours in the room. Then he had the audacity to start questioning my friend about the problem with his hotel. My thanks goes out to Silverstar Motel for absolutely awful customer service and truly one of the worst accommodations that I have ever stayed in.

Stayed July 2014
jitendra_solanki, Manager at SilverStar Motel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Hello Micheal S,

Thank-you for your response and concern.
To begin, as the manager, it is my job to ask questions relating to the the information of my customer. This is necessary for it is my responsibility to know about each and every customer staying at SilverStar motel. Furthermore, some questions I may ask are just to carry conversation and be friendly. If you took offense to my "asking questions", I apologise.
Secondly, you had originally asked for a room with 1 king size bed in the beginning, which we had booked for you - you told me it was for 2 guests.You had later called me and said you wanted to change it for a room with 2 double beds instead, roughly at around 6pm check in date - I had mentioned this was THE LAST ROOM room we had that night and it was a SMOKING room for 2 people for $99, and you said that it didn't matter, you just wanted 2 beds for 2 people. During your check in, you didn't mention you had 2 more guests and if you remember, I had told you that we do not allow visitors in the night time, especially other guests into your room that plan to stay, for the respect of the other guests in other rooms (ie. noise complaints). After reading your review, I see that your plans had "changed" and it was unexpected. Nonetheless, I mention to every customer that our front desk is 24 hours and
as the manager, I should have been told at anytime if there are more guests because this is my job to know how many people are staying per room, and thus according to the policy (which you can read on Expedia.ca), I have to charge you extra for 2 people. You could have called me at 3am and told me and then I would have gone through and informed you once again of the policy procedure and there would have been no confusion on your part. However, when I am notified that other people are entering your room with luggage at 3am, without you telling me, it is my responsibility to make sure that you know those people entering, that they are not strangers for your safety, and to clear up with you that you will be charged. I would like to clarify that I did not use abusive and offensive language when I had called you at 3am. If you changed your room preference for 2 beds for more than 2 guests I should be notified right away/
Furthermore, to clear your confusion on the "camera" you thought was in the room, this was actually a Rogers Digital Box for cable TV. However, if you thought this was a "camera", you could have called me or asked me at the front desk right away if this was a concern. I would have came into your room and cleared up the confusion. Customer satisfaction is our main goal and we provide free cable TV with all the channels for our guests.
Last but not the least, if you thought the room was not comfortable, again, you could have called me or come to the front desk and told me your concerns. May at the time, I may have been able to helped you out and thought of another solution if you really thought you couldn't stay there. I'm sure if they were that uncomfortable, you wouldn't have slept that night nor planned to stay until your checkout the next day at 11am. However, without hearing any complaints from you personally, I am sure our rooms were clean and comfortable as they always are for all of our guests (not to mention that you had asked to change your room from king non smoking to double bed smoking room)
If you had asked us these questions in the time being or cleared up your concerns at the time, I'm sure you wouldn't have had any further problems.
Again, thank-you for your review,

Manager
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We went for a Saturday/Sunday weekend in Midland to explore for a weekend. The price was reasonable, room was clean. Air Conditioner good, television was old (no flat screen) bathroom was adequate. If you want a clean little room in a nice area, this is for you. The owners or managers at the front desk are awesome. They are very friendly and helpful with information and directions. This made a nice difference for us!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Booked a Friday night to visit the local parks and city attractions, this was done easily online, we enjoyed the area and its offerings that Saturday morning we went to the front desk and booked a second night. Room has had updates since we last stayed here a few years back. New paint and carpet were part of the updates, along with management. Very polite helpful staff that you can see they care about your stay. Bottom line clean, safe and reasonably priced

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We were planning for a bicycle outing at the end of the summer and through Tripadvisor we located a number of motels in the Midland area. On personal inspection we settled on The SilverStar. We had a pleasant stay, the location was excellent for our planned rides. The owners were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

we stayed at the Silver Star motel for three nights and had a wonderful time. What makes this place so special, in addition to its great location and facilities, is that owners Mr and Mrs Jay. They helped us in many ways during our stay. The Room is very well equipped for a couple or a family. The room is ultra clean. Everything has been as promised and as pictured on their web site. I would certainly recommend this motel to anyone vising Midland. Thanks Mr and Mrs. Jay !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We arranged to visit Midland on a whim and decided to give the Silverstar a try as we were only there one night .The gentleman at the counter was very pleasant and helpful. He showed me the room before we decided to book and when we did; he spent a few minutes showing me a map of the town. He explained were the best places to eat were and gave me a few pamphlets on the tourist attractions in the area. He also suggested a possible walking route around the lake. At no point did I feel pestered or put upon, in fact I was extremely grateful for the advice.
The room was very spacious and clean, the AC was great and the bathroom was immaculate. The place is a little basic but this is well reflected in the price and as far as motels go I have stayed in far less impressive hotels.
All told, I was really impressed with the Silverstar the staff were great the room was lovely and the price was very affordable for independent travellers. Well done you guys!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midland
Kings Inn
4.5 of 5 stars 115 reviews
BEST WESTERN Highland Inn & Conference Centre
Super 8 Midland Ontario
Knights Inn Park Villa Motel

Been to SilverStar Motel? Share your experiences!