“A Hidden Gem!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Aurora, Canada
“A Hidden Gem!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have been to Spero on three occasions and have been very satisfied with each visit. Our dinner last night was exceptional, prompting me to finally write a review and spread the good word. Each time we visit, we start with the bruschetta, as Spero makes one of our all-time favourites. A layer of hot, bubbly cheese covers a thin pizza crust, which is then topped with freshly diced tomato, onion, basil and garlic. The dish is substantial: between three people, we still left two slices uneaten. For the main entrée, I had the Insalata di Funghi (warm mixed mushrooms, arugula, sweet balsamic vinaigrette, panko crusted goat cheese)…normally I wouldn’t expect to have an overwhelmingly positive reaction to a salad, but I’m still thinking about it (and salivating) a day later. My husband had the short-rib stuffed ravioli, which was one of the evening’s specials, but a dish so good that it is a crime not to include it on the regular menu. Our dinner companion is celiac and was pleased to learn that Spero carries two gluten-free pasta options. Nevertheless, she chose the Osso Buco Brasato (braised veal shank served with seasonal vegetables and a parmigiano risotto) and was thrilled with her meal. For dessert, my husband and I shared the crust-less Nutella cheesecake. We really enjoyed the delicate flavour and mousse-like texture (we didn’t even miss the crust – which tends to be our favourite part). Our guest had the flourless chocolate cake (again, she appreciated that there was a gluten-free option), and said that it was good (just not great). All of the desserts are made-in-house, however, we felt the portions were smaller than the $9 price tag warranted. Altogether though, we were deeply satisfied with our meal from start to finish and look forward to introducing additional friends to this local gem.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Newmarket, Canada
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Started well, the person on the phone taking the reservation was very helpful, promised they could cater for children although no seperate menu, Downhill from there! On arrival, we were the only customers - not a good sign. Ordered drinks, Beer was warm - yuck! Tried to explain to the server we wanted plain pasta and chicken for our son, she replied it would have to be 2 meals - not the same helpful person who was on the phone. After ordering, some bread was put on the table - 3 pieces for a table of 5??? We asked for more and was told our appertisers would be out soon were we sure? Like GDM171, staff were rude. The food is good but portions are small. I would advise anyone to stay clear - many at work asked me what I thought - there will not be many customers from there! This was supposed to be a birthday outing for my wife - we will never return!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newmarket, Canada
“Hidden Gem !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

It's a little out of the way but well worth the " hunt. " My wife and I have been there numerous times and have never been disappointed. Without question this is the best Italian restaurant in the area and believe me, we've tried them all. Great food, nice decor and always friendly staff.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Aurora, Canada
“Not Recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I had dinner here recently and found the staff to be disorganized and the management downright rude. We waited close to 2 hours for our entrees and once they arrived they were cold and unimpressive. When this was brought to the attention of the owner, she was ignorant and argumentative. I would never attend this restaurant again. It wouldn't surprise me if Spero were to close it's doors soon.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“This restaurant is top notch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I frequent spero whenever we are looking to go out for a great meal or special occasion .

We have taken the members of our family there and they have started to frequent the restaurant as well .

This is a great place that is great everytime we go , I can't say enough about the food and the service except that it is top notch

We are headed back twice this weekend for two different family birthdays, if you look forward to the same restaurant twice in two days they are definitely doing something right I would say.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere