“Nice décor, ends there. Boring food, bad service.” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Toronto, Ontario
“Nice décor, ends there. Boring food, bad service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had high hopes for the Goulash House, but were unfortunately disappointed. I had hoped to have a nice pleasant meal with my wife, but it wasn't a romantic dinner by any means. The décor of the restaurant is quite nice, looks great.. but it kind of ends there. We were not greeted when we arrived, and had to stand awkwardly at the front of the restaurant for several minutes while employees who were chatting at the bad just glared at us instead of coming over to greet and seat us. Finally a busy server directed us to a table and slapped down a couple menu's. When our waiter came over he did not introduce himself, did not greet us, and simply asked 'what did you want'. I am not sure if it was a problem with english, or just being rude, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and ordered wine for us. I was surprised to get an italian red wine as the house wine at a hungarian restaurant, but it was ok. We ordered the chefs recommendation meal for two, which I expected would be a good introduction to their menu. It came with a large cabbage roll appetizer for both of us, and then a platter of various meats, potato wedges, and what they said were three salad sides. The cabbage rolls were enormous, and fairly good.. the rest of the meal was a complete let down though. The 'chefs recommendation' was simply pieces of grilled meat, no sauces, no condiments, no taste. Sure the meat was grilled great, but plain grilled meat without any kind of sauce, condiment, or compliment is just boring. These were not cured meats like I had expected from a Hungarian restaurant either, just lightly seasoned grilled meat. The three sides were jarred pickled beats, some pickled cucumber, and jarred pickled cabbage... The restaurant itself is small, and the tables were organized in a very poor way that did not provide a pathway to walk anywhere in the restaurant, so the servers were dodging around people the entire night, usually bumping into either my wife or myself in the process. It was fairly busy with large groups, which is fine but I think they took away from the atmosphere. It was an unpleasant and loud room, and the servers were overloaded trying to accommodate large tables rather than asking us how our meal was, or neglecting to notice we finished our wine and had nothing to drink infront of us for most of the meal. Our server said all of 15 words to us the entire night, never thanked us once. When we left the manager? owner? literally shut the door on us as we left... we won't be back, to say the least. I would not recommend this place unless you want to be disappointed, or really enjoy massive quantities of boring food with surly service at best.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Toronto
“Huge Servings!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The food is well prepared and schnitzel fans can rejoice at the selection. The decor is stylish and comfortable and the service is friendly and quick.

Visited August 2013
Newmarket, Canada
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

It is a small place and very comfortable, excellent service, hot and delicious food. You always get a good plate full that is very tasty. Reservations are suggested.

Visited May 2013
Newmarket, Canada
“Outstanding Food & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This quaint restaurant may be one of the best finds in the area for authentic Hungarian dishes. The food selection is quite extensive & the staff are always delighted to help the customer understand what ingredients are in any dish. They also are excellent at explaining terms that are familiar in their culture but may not be in another culture. The food is always hot coming out of their kitchen which is something that I certainly appreciate. The staff are very attentive and engaging but are respectful not to interrupt when their guests appear entrenched in conversation. The atmosphere is old world charm & for those who enjoy people watching, there are two tables nestled in their front bay windows overlooking Main Street. I've been to this restaurant a few times now & every experience has been a positive one. Great food, awesome people who own &/or work there.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Queensville, Ontario
“I love schnitzle!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I love schnitzle and red cabbage. I've been here twice now for lunch and have plans to meet friends here again this week. The cabbage rolls are pretty good too!

• Visited March 2013