“Poorly cleaned & maintained rooms and overused sheets” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Owen Sound

You added Travelodge Owen Sound to your Saves list
Travelodge Owen Sound
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   880 10th Street East, Owen Sound, Ontario N4K 1T4, Canada   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Owen Sound
Toronto
“Poorly cleaned & maintained rooms and overused sheets”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I thought Travelodge was supposed to offer clean basic rooms, but what we got was dirty and run down.

First of all: the room wasn't clean. We found stale food on the counter from an earlier guest and what looked like someone's snot smeared on the bathtub and toilet. Best of all were the bedsheets which had crumbs in them. I thought washing sheets between guests was the law!

The room was well worn and in need of some repairs. The cocking in the bathroom was old and brown with mold and the laminate counter was water damaged and peeling. Also: the air conditioner sounded like a jet engine when you turned it on.

The worst thing was the beds. Besides the crumbs, the sheets hadn't been replaced in forever. They were all balled up like they'd been used since the place opened.

The lousy sheets and the cleanlyness got me paranoid about bedbugs and I couldn't get any sleep at all.

I should have just spent the extra $10 and gone to one of the other hotels in town.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Guelph, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Stayed one night for a local family gathering. Thought the room rate of $119 meant the hotel had perhaps been updated, but quickly found that it was not the case.

Check in was interesting to say the least. The clerk made sure I knew she was frazzled. At least it was swift -- see my notes on checkout below.

Lobby and hallways are dated in decor. There are exposed wires (phone, cable and electrical) running around the reception desk and stairwells. Surely not to code.

The room was a dark, dingy first-floor room with patio doors to the back parking lot (as we had our dog with us, this was our only option). First impression as soon as I walked in was that the room was smoky. An air freshener on top of the closet confirmed that the hotel is well aware of the stink.

The room has a microwave and fridge. There is NOT a remote for the TV, and there's no way to get fresh air in the room (the fresh air dial is removed from the antiquated HVAC unit, which was so grungy and dirty we hardly wanted to touch it). Air conditioning did not work. No screen on the door, so it had to stay closed.

Ceiling, walls, light switches, and doors are filthy, marked up and scraped. Furniture in the room was worn out and filthy. The covers on the beds had a lot of easily visible stains, and blankets had cigarette burns. There were a whopping two tiny pillows on each queen bed.

The bathroom was no better. The bathroom fan made the room MORE smoky when it was on. Tub is filthy and stained, and the towel rack of thin worn out towels is rusty. The water control was falling off the wall.

Checkout took -- no exaggeration -- 15 minutes. "New system", said the clerk. I was in a hurry and would have appreciated a simple apology for the delay, as would the 6 other people in line, but no dice.

Frankly, the place is a dive, disguised by its moderately high pricing (for motels) and its affiliation with the Travelodge name. Hotel management needs to re-invest some money into updating rooms and the ventilation system, as well as a few other things. There are certainly nicer options available in Owen Sound at comparable prices.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Booked three nights here and within 15 minutes of arrival had booked my next two nights elsewhere.
My first room STUNK of stale smoke, and didn't have the pre-promised fridge. So I requested another "non-smoking" room with with a fridge, hoping that the stink of the first room was an anomaly. Sadly, my hopes were dashed. The second room also stunk of stale smoke - clearly they don't, and haven't ever, enforced the non-smoking rule.
Aside from that, there was brown goo smeared on the alarm clock which I can only pray was chocolate, there was a pubic hair in the fridge, and one of my towels was stained with brown... something. Needless to say, I waited to shower until I got into the new hotel. ::shudder::
Overall I felt the place was terribly unclean and I can't even say I felt very safe there (lots of rubbie-dub people hanging around drinking, inside and out). For less than $10 extra per night I moved half a block down the street into a much, much better establishment.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel.
I went on a business trip to Owen Sound and as soon as I arrived in town I found this hotel in a very appealing location.
Front desk staff was friendly and helpful with my questions about the city.
Wireless internet connection is a must have service for me with work and their connection was superb.
The room was clean and the bed was comfortable.
Overall, this is the best accomodation in town for its value and I'm looking forward to my next visit

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I recently stayed at the Travelodge in Owen Sound and I had a fantastic time. Great town with polite people. The rate was the cheapest in town. The location was perfect with a Tim Hortons just right across the street. The restaurants and mall were of walking distance. The rooms were clean and comfortable setting. My favourite part of my stay was the continential breakfast. I love the smell of fresh waffles in the morning. The staff were friendly and informative. The wireless internet worked perfectly I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Owen Sound

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
southern ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Hubby and I stayed at this Travelodge during a mini vacation we took to enjoy the fall colors.
I was quite satisifed with the service, and the room and amenities until I took a shower the following morning.
There was disappointingly low water pressure.

When hubby took his shower the water stopped completely! I called the front desk and told them I had a soapy husband in a shower with no water running.
The lady at the desk said "Our maintenance man doesn't come until 9 a.m. Maybe your husband could go across the hall to finish his shower?"
I told her that wasn't going over well with my husband. And that was the end of it. No adjustment to our bill, no apology, no nothing.

We are amazed, and not in a good way!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

I stayed there one night. Person who checked us in was nice. Upon entering the room I noticed a 9mm bullet and a pen on the bed, which I thought was weird to say the least. The toilet seat wasn't clean, but besides that I thought the room was ok.I had a good night's rest, the bed was comfy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Been to Travelodge Owen Sound? Share your experiences!