“Beautiful setting of a chain hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay

You added BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1800 2nd Avenue East | P O Box 516, Owen Sound, Ontario N4K 5RI, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Owen Sound
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful setting of a chain hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a pretty good branch of the Best Western chain, with all the usual hotel amenities and services. Staff are friendly, rooms are pretty clean, and there is free (but rather unstable) wifi as well as a computer in the lobby. Pillows are of the poofy variety (we prefer the flatter, firmer kind) so none of us slept well.

Free continental breakfast was alright... toast, cereal, yogurt, juice, pastries, French toast... the only unacceptably gross part were the boiled eggs which, instead of being hot, were ice cold (who eats cold eggs in the morning??) and the tongs that were being used for the eggs were also being used for the fruit... ack.

There is also a restaurant on site called Bishop's Landing which is pretty pricey but convenient. The location on the bay is fantastic, and makes for a great evening walk.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jason H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hi xjynx,

Thank you for providing such an insightful review of your experience in our hotel. I am glad that you were able to enjoy our beautiful location and experience some of the services that we have to offer.

Our internet has had some trouble, but it seems we have been able to resolve this once and for all. Our new IT support seems to be an excellent addition to the hotel and has been able to help us improve our system immediately. I apologize if you were inconvenienced by our internet services during your stay.

I should mention that we have pillows available at the front desk for anyone preferring a different style. We understand that everyone has their own preferences and look to satisfy all needs during a guests stay. The hard boiled eggs are a prime example of this. Many guests prefer a protein with their breakfast before a workout where others may find this disgusting. It is necessary to have this item on a continental buffet in the Best Western chain because of the demand. I will; however, be changing the tong placement on the breakfast buffet as soon as possible.

Operating a beautiful hotel with such wonderful staff leaves me with a lot to be proud of, but I can never stop working to improve upon what we have. Your review has given some great insight on what can be done while showing appreciation for what is offered.

I thank you again for taking the time to write such a response.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Owen Sound, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Located in a bizarre area of town but beautiful area to stroll along the water. The staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Had dinner in the restaurant, my husband had the pickerel which he loved and I had chicken with spinach and brie....very good and great price. Would stay here again for sure and would recommend for anyone going.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Jason H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Hi Lillian K,

It is true that we are in a unique location here in Owen Sound. I often hear guests saying that they thought they were lost until they saw the hotel. Some of the old industrial buildings along the road before you reach the hotel are in tired shape and are slowly being cleaned up. It is well worth being located at this end of town because of the beautiful waterfront properties and new developments in the immediate area. There are no signs of the old buildings once you reach the hotel in this quiet and beautiful location.

Our restaurant is also the only one located in Owen Sound with a view over Georgian Bay and it comes complete with a beautiful view of the sunset each night. Our menu options and prices often leave many guests pleasantly surprised by their experience here. I am glad that you had the opportunity to enjoy it.

I will look forward to your return to this hotel on your next visit to Owen Sound.

Thank you so much for your kind review.
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

A friend and I stayed here on 24 July. It was a great experience, from check-in to check-out. Rooms comfortable and extremely clean, staff excellent, breakfast well presented and tasty, with very pleasant wait staff. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, for both business & leisure travellers.

• Stayed July 2013
Hi Lilpen24052005,

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our hotel. We work very hard to create a culture here were all employees genuinely care about our guests and their experience in Owen Sound. I believe a hotel is only as good as its employees and we are very fortunate to have the ones we do.

We shall look forward to welcoming you back to Owen Sound someday in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Owen Sound, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Nice clean place to stay. Wi-fi in every room! The continental breakfast needs more healthy options but what do you expect for a free breakfast. It has all the amenities that you are looking for while away on business. Access to computer and printer in the lobby was very useful. The staff were knowledgeable about local restaurants and locals and were very accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Hi Beverley P,

I am glad that you were able to enjoy your experience at our hotel so much. I always feel great after reading a nice review like yours.

We have recently updated our wireless internet and are continuing to improve its speed and reliability moving forward. The computer in our lobby is less than two months old and should be completely up to date for our guests to use. We recognize the importance of technology and do our very best to keep up!

I would also like to mention that we have recently added skim and soy milk to our continental breakfast in addition to the gluten free breads and health conscious cereals we now offer. We understand how important healthy eating is and are working this into our continental breakfast despite the fact that we do not make any money on it.

I hope to see you again on your next visit to Owen Sound.

Thank you again for your kind review.
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

clean, good service, centrally located, would have appreciated more use of seasonal fruit in continental breakfast. did not think to ask for a room viewing the water (as we had last stay) so would have appreciated the offer for that, if available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Hi Deborah And Dan,

I would like to thank you for returning to this hotel when you visit Owen Sound. Your business is very much appreciated!

We often offer upgrades to suites that provide a beautiful view over Georgian Bay so I must assume that there were none available. We are very busy at this time of year after all. I hope that you will be able to enjoy one on your next stay with us.

Our continental breakfast should offer more variety with fruit. I have asked our Chef to start changing it daily to keep fresh options available to guests that are staying for multiple nights. You may have caught us when there were fewer options than normal. I will be sure to follow up and ensure a proper variety is offered each day.

Thank you for your feedback.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have stayed at this Best Western on several occasions for business. The rooms are adequate - quick and reasonably reliable Internet, quiet and clean. There is complimentary continental breakfast and the menu at the restaurant is ok. The location, right on the water, is beautiful. One drawback is that there is no elevator.
Based on my experiences I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Jason H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Hi Jane P,

I would like to thank you for your patronage with our hotel. It is great to hear that we are adequately meeting all of your needs for business travel and that you will continue to stay here. I did want to clarify that we do have an elevator inside the hotel. There are two main sections of the hotel that were built in different years. The original section of the hotel only has two floors and does have an elevator. The newer section has four floors and has always had an elevator with connecting hallways to the original section. I would assume that you have not had to stay in the newer section of the hotel and have not seen this elevator as a result. I would like to apologize if this has caused you any inconvenience during your stay. Someone should have informed that we had an elevator when you checked in. I will reinforce that with our front office staff.

Thank you again for your continued patronage.
Meaford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great view, nice room. This was the same room we booked 5 years ago, we decided to return for our 5th wedding anniversary. Resturant staff was awesome aswell!Breakfast was served quickly and hot, beutiful patio to sit and eat on. Room #465.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Mark J,

I am glad that you decided to return to our hotel for your anniversary. It is stories like your that make me happy to work at this hotel. The Jacuzzi suite you stayed in is certainly one of our best rooms and I am glad that you were able to enjoy your stay here once again. We hope to see you here again in the future.

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay? Share your experiences!