“A hidden jewel at excellent value!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: Acclaimed with awards from Golf Digest, Travel + Leisure Golf, Ontario Golf, Fairways and SCOREGolf magazines, Cobble Beach calls to mind the game's legendary seaside locations. Here is golf as it's been played for centuries: links-style, over fairways that run and tumble, to greens sited as though by Nature herself.
Toronto, Canada
“A hidden jewel at excellent value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

My husband and I recently spent 2 days @ Cobble Beach Inn on their "stay and play" golf package. The property (built in 2007) is part of a waterfront housing development in Owen Sound and approx 3 hours' drive from Toronto. The inn has 11 guest rooms, spa and fitness facilities and an excellent restaurant called "Sweetwater". We found everything to be tasteful and cosy. Our room had a comfortable queen bed, soft comforter and beddings. The golf course was challenging but scenic. What impressed us the most was the service both at the inn and pro shop, every staff member that we encountered was very friendly, helpful and accommodating.

The resort is still new and clearly trying to establish itself as a destination so rates are reasonable especially Sunday through Thursday. We will definitely go back.

Toronto, Ont.
“Cobble Beach was an absolute find - my new favourite spot.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

I arrived at Cobble Beach and stepped into another world. The gracious buildings are set on a huge lake that gives the place an authentic outdoorsy and otherwordly quality. I'm not a golfer - I was with golfers - but found plenty to do, both walking the property and luxuriating in the Spa. The glorious Rose Clay Wrap treatment nearly put me to sleep and I felt the good effects for day aferwards. The real corker was the food, which is superb and affordable! The chef, who has great imagination and skill, uses local ingredients that we appreciated. Delicious!! This is a top notch resort - very impressive.

Toronto
“Gem of Southern Ontario - Cobble Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

Cobble Beach is one of those places which has combined location and experience to create a gem in southern Ontario. The choice to build a links course fits perfectly with the winds coming off of Georgian Bay into Owen Sound. It's a feel that golfers can rarely feel outside of Scotland. The course is challenging, but variable tee boxes give beginners a shot at the beast. All holes overlook Owen Sound/ G-Bay and both finishing holes run alongside the water (put that driver back in the bag).

The Inn was a perfect compliment to the golf. The food services could cater to 100 when the Inn can only hold 50 (roughly) so you were never without good service. The food was excellent and willing to cater to special requests. The wine was good, but I only drink cheap stuff anyways, which they had. The high ceilings in the rooms make for a 'grand lodge' feel. The jacuzzi, sauna and spa (women) also make for great relaxing. Overall, the Inn felt more like a lodge and made for the most comfortable get-away.

Toronto
“Beautiful course & perfect scenery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

I visited Cobble Beach this past summer with my boyfriend and we had a wonderful experience.

The course itself is gorgeous and in outstanding condition to say the least. The best part is that the back nine has a spectacular view of the lake and the last few holes in particular are just breath-taking. Another perk was that the golf carts have sensors that let you know if you are running late and where the group in front and behind you are... Yes the holes are pretty long and it was extremely helpful. Quick reco - Bring a wind breaker because it got a bit windy in the late afternoon on the back holes. The front nine backs onto the clubhouse and it was fun after our round to sit out in the Muskoka chairs having a drink and watch the other players come in.

In terms of the club/hotel, it was beautiful and the service was amazing. Soft beds, huge bath tub, lots of tv channels, comp newspaper etc. The spa was booked when we checked in so next time I would consider booking ahead of time but there is a great Jacuzzi that was a nice treat.

For dinner the Saturday night I was there we ate in the restaurant in a small veranda off the main bar. It was intimate and the food was delicious. Breakfast was also a treat.

The highlight in my opinion was 100% the service. I booked the trip as a gift to my boyfriend and the woman Trish who I spoke with (numerous times) couldn't have been more helpful or accommodating. She gave me ideas of things to do en route to Cobble Beach (ie. We had a picnic at Inglis Falls on our way there and went to the Thompson gallery) and when an emergency meant we may have to change the dates of our trip she was helpful in sorting a solution. From the moment we arrived to when we left, every person we met was helpful and positive. This includes the staff who checked us in early, the young girl who took our golf bags, the starter who gave us apples for a snack, the waitress at dinner etc. I highly recommend a trip to CB and there is no doubt I will be heading back.

Ontario, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“Beauty is only skin deep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2008

Just got back from a friend's wedding that was held at Cobble Beach Inn. We stayed in the Manitou room and it was very beautiful. The whole resort is quite attractive and the course looks to be in very good condition but I didn't have a chance to play it.

However despite the pretty facade this resort still has a lot of maturing to do. There were just too many little things that added up to the point where I wouldn't return unless I had heard that things have improved. When you pay 5 star prices you expect 5 star value and Cobble Beach just isn't delivering that right now.

- the wait staff was very slow during our breakfast. It took almost two hours to have a very simple breakfast

- the bar during the wedding had a tip jar which was fine....but finding a 15% gratuity charge on the drinks we bought on our room bill the next day was unaccepable. It's not like they were bringing the drinks to our tables either.

- toilet paper that felt like brown industrial strength paper towel

- the only mirror in our suite was the one in the bathroom

- no mini fridge or coffee maker in our suite

- only 1 garbage can that was located in the bathroom

- one of the phones was sitting on the floor as if there was a piece of furniture missing in our room

- no soundproofing. I felt bad for the other guests of the Inn because you could hear every beat of bass from the loud music of the wedding until 2am. And the next morning I was awoken by loud clicking of the door locks as every door opened and closed by the other guests moving around.

- air conditioning was also an issue both during the wedding reception and also during breakfast the next morning. One of my friends father came away from his breakfast soaked in sweat because the breakfast atrium is kept like a sauna

- as mentioned above by the previous review the property is still under construction and probably will be for atleast another two years

I won't even go into the issues that took place during the wedding since they aren't something that will be encountered by the normal visitor, but needless to say that their were multiple issues.

None of these points above are particularly serious when taken as an isolated incident or if they happen at lower class establishment. But when Cobble Beach Inn is charging their very expensive full rates then I expect that they should be providing the 5 star service that they allude to having.

Hopefully Cobble Beach will see this review and fix the things listed above. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be a great resort in the future. But right now they need to improve their customer service and add all the little details that separate the good from the great. Until that happens though they shouldn't be charging their current room rates. It's just not worth it and I won't be recommending this place to anyone I know.