“Pet Owners Beware” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Pembroke
Aurora, Canada
“Pet Owners Beware”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Although this hotel advertises itself as "Pet Friendly" it really isn't. We reserved a pet friendly room at this hotel for two nights. There was an additional charge for our dog which we were aware of and found the additional charge to be reasonable. No problem at this point.

After a day long drive we arrived at the Comfort Inn in Pembroke only to be told when we registered that although our dog was allowed to stay in the room with us, we COULD NOT LEAVE THE DOG ALONE in the room! This was not mentioned at the time of our reservation and is not indicated anywhere on their website. When we mentioned this to the proprietor we were informed that this is a standard policy for 'pet friendly' hotels. This is the first time we've encountered this and we've been travelling with dogs for the last 17 years.

What is the point of this Comfort Inn calling itself pet friendly when you can't even go out for a meal or shopping without bringing your pet with you. During warm weather this is impossible since it can be deadly to leave a pet in a car on a warm day even for 5 minutes!

The proprietor contacted other 'pet friendly' hotels in Pembroke and we were able to find alternate accommodations that allowed us to leave our dog alone. Strange thing is that one of the hotels is part of the same chain that includes Comfort Inns. So much for being a standard policy when 2 out of 3 pet friendly hotels allow pets to be left alone.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Jody H, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear LJM Aurora,

Thank you for writing in and sharing your concerns. Since our conversation we have taken the steps to make sure that it is on our Choice site so that pet owners travelling are aware that their animal is not to be left unattended. I know myself as a dog owner that my pet is well behaved in my presence but they are nervous in a surrounding not familiar to them especially that of a hotel setting. This is the main reason we have asked that they are always with their owner.
When we made this decision it wasn't to punish the pet owner but allow the family to visit our hotel and be able to stay all in the room.
You are right each hotel does have a different policy but with being newly refreshed we are excited to share the new rooms with our guests.
To all those travelling with pets we definately welcome you to the Comfort Inn Pembroke. Have an amazing summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Simcoe, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I have stayed here several times and been quite content.
This trip finished me for this hotel. I booked a smoking queen room - same as all the other times. When I arrived they told me they had become a non-smoking hotel. That is fine - the hotel has the right to do that. However, they did not bother to let me know this ahead of time so that I could have the choice to either stay here or choose a different "non-smoking" hotel that was not as dumpy as a Comfort Inn. To top it off - they told me the "smoking wing" was now closed yet I saw six rooms occupied. Maybe they were no longer smoking but they certainly were occupied.
They did "upgrade" me to a king. Not that I care as I am only one person traveling on business. All a "king" means is that there is more bed and less space in the room! I also paid extra for a drive-up room to be told that I was not allowed to drive up to my room as it was now a construction site.
The room was nicely re-decorated however it is still the size of a closet and still has the nasty Comfort Inn standard bathroom. They told me the "back section" was the premium part of the hotel. As it did not have parking or a view I do have to wonder what was so "premium" about it. If they could not give me what it was that I had booked I should have been told that ahead of time - not at the end of an 8 hour drive to get there!
It is not a "cheap" hotel to stay in. Pay an extra $10 to stay in one of the better hotels in town - that is what I intend to do next time. To top it off - for $143.39 (CAA rate) they don't include breakfast.
They are renovating which is wonderful - but it is still a Comfort Inn - the same as all the other Comfort Inn's out there that I no longer stay in except this one has never given you breakfast.
I am so not impressed and will not be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Jody H, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear The kitty likes it here-

Thank you for writing and sharing your thoughts and i do hope that you will allow us to have a second chance to make a first impression. We have gone non smoking and by the end of May will have a breakfast room with refreshed rooms on property. I apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to park at your drive up as renovations are now in full swing but I would love to offer you you a rate to try us again once renovated. Please feel free to email me at cn289@whg.com
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel is perfect, the price is sheap! We have stay for one night. The room was very clean. The room is simple but for the price it was good. The location is great, close to the restaurant ans shopping mall.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jody H, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Julie,

Thank you so much for writing such a nice review. We hope that you will come back to stay with us soon as we will be refreshed in May and will have a breakfast room on property!

Have an amazing week and I hope the sun is shining where you are!
Redbridge, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Terrific basic hotel. Clean, looks recently redecorated, well equipped. I have travelled a lot on business, and my basic requirements are good beds, great pillows, good strong shower, fresh air available. All of those were here, and just fine. Staff were very pleasant, friendly, and helpful. Lobby very nicely decorated for Christmas. Lots of thoughtful lobby additions, like paperback books to borrow, board games to use--shows that someone's really invested some thought and care, above and beyond the basics. We'd go back in a minute!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jody H, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear KK from Redbridge,

Thank you so much for the review. As a team we are happy that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to your return and would like to share that we are getting renovated in 2014 with a breakfast room on property.
The summer would be a perfect time to have a return visit as you would see the renovation and more games out back with a beautiful view of the Ottawa river.

Have a Merry Christmas and all the Best in 2014!

Jody Higgins
Cobourg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here 3 times. The first two times was wonderful. The staff friendly, helpful. They had no problem giving you more coffee or cream if you wanted it in your room. The last time - I will NEVER stay there again. I had the misfortune of going to ask for more coffee, just as a large group on a bus had finished checking in. The staff looked at me like "what do YOU want?" I meekly asked for some more coffee and was told that if I had not drank the decaf in my room I could trade it in for regular. WHAT??????????? Last time we stayed, no problem, here is two more no big deal.

Breakfast also switched to restaurant next door. Closer yes but bad food.

The one good thing I can say is the property out back is nice and it is pleasant to sit out there in the evening.

I was so sad about the rude staff. My husband will not return again. So now you have lost a loyal customer and a choice hotels member.

Room Tip: One in the back with a view toward the river is a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jody H, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear lovesgirl01,

My apologies for the disappointment you had with our location your last stay. I'm really glad the other two stays met your satisfaction. Our backyard that overlooks the Ottawa River is loved by many -thank you for sharing that as a room tip. Know that we appreciate all comments as they are used to monitor future improvements needed.

In 2014,we are excited to share that the rooms will be renovated as well as we will have a breakfast room on property. Til that time there is $5 off breakfast coupons at both FInnigans and Frescos for those that have a preference.

It is my hope that you both will come and visit us real soon-

Belleville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I am a platinum level member of choice hotels group, which only means that I am well aware of what to expect in a Comfort Inn; ie both the good and the bad.
BUT this particular location is the absolute worst!!!
I had stayed here before and wasn't happy, but thought it was an aberration as the property supposedly has won awards from the choice group, but second time was NOT the charm.
The people that work at the front desk are some of the rudest and most arrogant hotel employees it has ever been my misfortune to have to deal with.
The hotel does not provide breakfast, and when I asked, I was told...oh we have a coupon for the restaurant next door. If I didn't ask?? I declined, so I do not know if it was a discount or a free meal, either way I was not happy. All I wanted was a muffin and a coffee; especially considering this property is priced higher than most Comfort INN
I was driving a medium duty truck and was directed to park behind the restaurant next door, even though their lot only had a handful of cars. This leads me to believe the two businesses are jointly owned and the motel is driving business to the restaurant for breakfast.
No newspaper was provided.
Express checkout was not handled properly and when I asked to have it corrected the snooty manager at the front desk told me I was already checked out and nothing could be done to help me. I guess my displeasure was obvious and she said "have an amazing day"
Last but not least the wifi is so slow here it is unbelievable..think dial-up 1997
literally McDonalds free service is way way way better

Room Tip: stay at the Best Western or Holiday Inn or Travelodge if you are in Pembroke
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jody H, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
On behalf of my entire team I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectation your last 2 stays. Your satisfaction is important to us and most importantly with your Platinum status as hotels, especially Choice Hotels are your home.

In 2014, our hotel will go through a major renovation with an addition of a breakfast room on property. It is my hope that you will re-consider staying with us again when you visit Pembroke so that we have a chance to make a first impression.
Waterloo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel has everything you could need - great location, affordable, friendly staff, clean, comfortable rooms, and a $5 voucher for breakfast each morning you are there. I stayed at this hotel with 10 people and we all agreed that we would return!

Stayed October 2013
CustomerServiceLove, General Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I will definately share this with our team- Next year we are excited to share that we will be renovated and for the first time have a breakfast on property. We hope to see you back to share in our excitement!

Jody

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!