“2nd time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grey Gables Inn Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pembroke
Grey Gables Inn Bed and Breakfast
You added Grey Gables Inn Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
353 Mackay Street, Pembroke, Ontario K8A 1C8, Canada   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Pembroke B&B and Inns
Hermantown, Minnesota, United States
“2nd time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed one night on our trip out east again. Stayed in the Library room. Very nice & comfortable room. Had refrig, microwave, tub & shower, coffee maker, tv. We enjoyed sitting outside on the front patio that evening. Breakfast was excellent and relaxing. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Holden, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Unfortunately 4 of our family stayed here to attend a funeral. I believe that all of the units have more than one room. I would have preferred to have not been on the third floor because of personal physical limitations and an octogenarian in our party. We had what was really a 2 bedroom fully furnished apartment! This was perfect for our family as it allowed us to spend time together. The rooms on the lower floors were fancier and we probably stayed in what would have been the servants area but is was wonderful! The bathroom had an original claw foot tub with shower and a small chandelier light fixture. These problems not withstanding, we really enjoyed the décor, architecture and the lovely couple who runs the B&B. The breakfasts were excellent!!
If I visit Pembroke again, I will definitely stay at Grey Gables! I highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Brockville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

My partner and I are regular clients for the past 2 yrs, and we think the experience has been excellent in every way. This is a gorgeous mansion, beautifully and tastefully decorated. We have come to know the owners and feel like it's our second home. There is no better place to stay in Pembroke. Breakfast is always amazing. The review from "Canada Day" is shocking in every way: first it's written by a rude person, and someone I'm glad I don't know, and secondly, even if your experience was not the best, there are more appropriate words to use, to get your point across. How shameful to write something like that!

My only criticism is that you should double check your booking, as we have had a few misunderstandings in this regard over the years.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My partner and I stayed at Grey Gables Manor B&B and it was the most beautiful bed and breakfast I have ever stayed at. The decor is beautiful, the owners are so friendly and accommodating they make you feel like family. We will definitely be going back. I. Give this place an A++

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

An overdue review that I wanted to post, as I travelled here last summer, but it is one that deserves my full attention, because as a foreign service officer who has travelled dozens of cities in dozens of countries, this B&B was a unique experience, to say the least. Grey Gables is an old mansion that has been converted into a B&B. The hosts were kind and accommodating for an early check-in and late check out. I stayed in the library room and will definitely be back. It seemed more like a five-star boutique hotel than a B&B. Art & Shirley Nugent, the proprietors, strike the perfect balance between guest attention and privacy. Very charming couple with impeccable taste. Breakfast was delicious, although more plentiful than I am used to for breakfast. Great coffee. Here's the kicker, though: when I wanted to extend my stay but they were fully booked, I was able to rent their cottage in nearby Round Lake. If I thought that the furnishings and decor at Grey Gables were impeccable, their cozy & elegant cottage blew me away. To put things in perspective financially, 3 nights at this first class establishment cost me lest than 3 nights at a crummy Holiday Inn in Ottawa! I think they could easily raise their room rates, but I'm not complaining...Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Try the Library Room!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

I was immediately charmed by the building, its history and hosts. The carved walls and ceilings as you enter and throughout are impressive. My partner and I stayed in the Library over the weekend, and while I am not the biggest fan of sleigh beds, I slept wonderfully. Breakfast was well considered and delicious.

Room Tip: The Library is spacious and is the only room on the ground level.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is one of those B&Bs that was sold as is to the current owner. It was purchased about ten years ago by a interior designer from Ottawa who renovated it and decorated it and created what is left of the ambience and décor. Unfortunately it was sold to a local from Pembroke who doesn't have the class or sophistication to make it as good as it once was. She added quite a few tacky décor items that were not there with the more sophisticated and much more creative and friendly previous owner. So, I can assure you that what you see of a beautiful reno was not chosen by "Shirley." A B&B is sometimes only as good as the host(ess) and this one ruins the house. If you like small minded, fussy, cheap and small town hostess, you will love this place. I was there alone along with a gay couple who she clearly did not feel comfortable around! The rooms are perfectly fine and given the lack of selection in Pembroke, you cannot go wrong staying here. One often wonders why certain people decide to run a B&B. However, I have discovered small towns often have small town minded people running B&Bs. Too bad because the people of Pembroke are down to earth and friendly and the area is gorgeous.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grey Gables Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!