“The worst restaurant experience for me ever. Especially the service.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Akasaka Japanese Restaurant

Ranked #31 of 347 Restaurants in Richmond Hill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Toronto
“The worst restaurant experience for me ever. Especially the service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We came for tapaniyaki with a group of 4 adults and 2 children. Mostly we wanted kids to be entertained by chef's tricks.
Basically you choose your base which is miso soup, garden salad, fried rice and fried veggies for $8 and you choose your meat for additional price. I chose shrimps for $10 and my husband chose scallops for $12. So the total for each dish is around $20. Our friends had different kinds of meat and there total for each meal was over $30 which is kind of pricey for such place.
Miso soup and salad came first. All four of us noticed that it tasted like tap water with chlorine and we decided to let them know about it. Immediately the waitress changed from happy to unhappy and took the soups away. 2 min later they bring another soups and start telling us that there is no chlorine in the soup and they didn't have a single complain throughout the day and that miso is suppose to taste like it (like its the first time we had miso). It was very unpleasant already that they blamed us. The second soup was not better then the first but we ate it. Salad was also tasteless. Lettuce was watery and the dressing tasted like nothing.
Then the chef started making tapaniyaki, he was actually nice and tried to interact with the table. I don't know why but they cooked meats first and put it on our plates to eat. My 6 shrimps and my husband's 4 scallops looked very lonely on a plate. We ate it like a tiny appetizer when it supposed to be a main dish. At that point I already knew I would leave that place hungry. Then a chef started frying veggies, again, he put it in everyone's plate, a tiny amount less then a palm of a hand, plus the veggies were not salty enough, we had to add soy souse. And again 10 min later he was frying the rice. All of a sudden he added meat into the rice. It wasn't mentioned in the menu, since me and my husband don't eat meat. First we thought it might be for other people, but then he divided it into small bowls (like miso soup bowls) and handed it to everyone. The bowl wasn't even full, there were literally 4 tbsps of rice in it.
I called the waitress and told her about the meat. She started giving me attitude right away saying that we didn't warn them about it. I said that it didn't say in the menu. She tried to convince me that it did and then nervously took a menu book just to find out that is said nothing about the meat. And she asked if we want the chef to make a new one for us.
At that point I was too devastated to pay $8 for crappy miso and salad and 4 tbsps of rice. And of course with their attitude. I said that we want to cancel $8 base, only because it was horrible. She immediately went to a manager and came back telling us that they will cancel it.
So there were 2 additional bowls of rice on the table what we didn't touch and she started taking it away from the table. My friend said to leave it because she and her child eat meat. The waitress said that they didn't pay for that rice. God, so unprofessional. They didn't even try to save the situation.
When we got the bill, there were $10 for 6 shrimps, $12 for 4 scallops and they included $5 for 2 salads. When I started telling her about the salads that we cancelled she told me that we ate them regardless of the fact that they were pretty bad. We paid $31 in total and left absolutely hungry.
I've been in bad places before, but at least after paying $30 I was more or less full.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

King City, Canada
“Great lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The chefs are attentive and talented. Fantastic lunch special, the price can't be beat. The chefs will make special arrangements if requested and the teppanyaki is tasty.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Excellent experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Akasaka has one of the best Sashimi, ambiance and even sake. Hard to decide which one is better in the neighborhood, Akasaka or Tomo, both great experience each time. I'd say Tomo is a bit smaller in size but very convenient right at Yonge street so always busy; Akasaka is a bit tucked away from Hwy 7 but its reputation still draws lots of returned customers.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Service Below Par”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've been to Teppanyaki here at Akasaka several times this year. Each and every time I have experienced the same below par service. Food is good. But service is terrible.

One time, the waitress drops a menu onto my plate after taking orders. After dinner, she drops spoons and bowls in front of us while collecting our dishes. Fine, inexperience.

But what gets me the most is that they hire 4-5 waitresses for the Teppanyaki room and they are all standing around waiting for something to happen. What's worse is that they're standing behind me while I'm eating. This happened the past three times. One time the waiter was chit-chatting with the chef while he's cooking for us. Anyway, I don't like the feeling of having someone/people hovering above me while I'm eating. GO AWAY!!!! Stand somewhere else.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent place to eat and have gathering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Great tapenjaki, excellent food quality, nice ambience. I go there all the time.

I would recommend the lunch special.

It is family friendly.