“Try the butcher burger” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bauer Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 305 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Allen St.
Transit: On the main 7 line heading to Conestoga Mall.
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
“Try the butcher burger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This a well run restaurant ... a nice mix of casual and dressy ! A very diverse wine list and a simple but good menu. If you're going for brunch, the eggs benedict is awesome.

Visited September 2012

Guelph
“First Time - Great Impression”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Bauer is located in a trendy little area of Waterloo. The ambiance inside the restaurant is very cool, as it is decorated in the style of the old factory that was one there. Draught beer list is impressive with some imports and craft Canadian brews. I had a pasta with veal ragu and it was one of the best things I've had in a while. Wine list was well appointed and not too expensive.

Visited August 2012
Waterloo, Canada
“Good food and service for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Good place for a casual, nice dinner. Old, open building has a nice feel. The food is good considering the price and the service is pretty good. I've been here a few times and always been impressed. They know what is in the food and are willing to make adjustments for food allergies. I continue to be impressed with the creme brulee.

We tried to get a table for 10 but were informed we'd have to split into tables of 4 and 6. There was another table next to ours which could have fit the other people but claimed that it would be awkward for the other guests if we could move the table 2 feet to connect it with ours. Whatever, no biggie. One of my friends at another table did not get her meal for a LONG time but they compensated with free dessert and I believe her meal was complementary. Much better than one would receive at other establishments.

Visited September 2012
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Two weeks ago my friends and I went to The Bauer Kitchen. I loved the ambiance and the wait staff were great. Awesome menu with a great variety including bacon, eggs and toast, one of my favourite meals.

Because of food allergies, I asked for nothing else on the plate other than the bacon, eggs (over medium-no jelly, soft yolk) and toast. It took a third try for the 'cook' to get it correct as the first time it came back with some green stuff underneath the eggs and stuck up in the yolk. I felt nauseated just looking at that; second try at least there was only toast, bacon and eggs - ALL JELLY - on my plate; third try they kind of got it right but I couldn't dip my toast in my yolk-the reason I ordered over medium!

I was not really impressed with the number of times it took me to get such a simple meal cooked the way I wanted it. I can go to the little 50s restaurant two minutes from my place and get the exact same meal, with the turkey bacon done perfect every time. So guess this review is about the 'cook' (I'd rather not call him/her a chef).

Waitresses, please make sure that your customers are getting from the 'cook' what they asked for as it is always reflected in your tip. Our waitress was awesome and understood, thank heaven. The 'cook' not so much!

Anonymous.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Near Perfect & Witty Menus”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Went for a late lunch with a friend while in the area, which has a wonderful Mennonite farming community and was once Canada's industrial heartland. Had the giant duck wings appetizer and burgers for the main. Also had a couple of perfect martinis and the coldest (Mill Street) draft ever. So many places - even well known restaurants - just use pre-packaged or pre-mixed sauces and foods. Not here: all fresh and a large, well-staffed open kitchen. The decor is original and even the wine menu is a blast to read (actually written by someone with wit - "imagine Johnny Cash smoking in a cellar"). If you're in the area, don't miss this - fantastic sandwiches as well.

• Visited September 2012