“TERRIBLE, AVOID THIS ESTABLISHMENT - NO QUALITY CONTROL” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bauer Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 305 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Allen St.
Transit: On the main 7 line heading to Conestoga Mall.
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
“TERRIBLE, AVOID THIS ESTABLISHMENT - NO QUALITY CONTROL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I would like to voice my concerns of the quality of service and care that your restaurant provides.

My family and I had reserved a table at your establishment for 8:30pm for Friday night, after arriving at the restaurant we were told that the table wasn't ready yet and we would have to wait - I would assume that under "normal" conditions you would have your front of house accommodate for the time it takes to sit and enjoy a meal - so why were we offered this time slot when it clearly wasn't a possibility to be sat? We would have been just fine with a later reservation - but were told to wait, and wait we did. It was 9:15 pm before we were offered a table - through the 45 minutes of waiting, thankfully my grandfather was offered a chair.

Drinks and appetizers were offered, compliments of the front of house and we were actually starting to overlook the long wait. Our server was courteous and aware of our misfortunes - we know she did her best in keeping us happy.

However, your restaurant knows no limits of dissatisfying a patron. I ordered a steak - your bacon wrapped filet 7oz at 30 some odd dollars - expecting a damn good steak, cooked to my liking of Medium Rare... After all, while I am not a Chef - I had spent my teenage years apprenticing and my brother who sat to my right is a Red Seal Chef, needless to say - we have standards; we don't feel your kitchen has any...

My steak was delivered undercooked - blue rare to be exact - still cold in the middle... If any self respecting Chef had an opinion of himself they would call it raw and lash the incompetent idiot who did it wrong - I however, trying not to lash out advised my server it was underdone - she agreed and swiftly took the dish back to the kitchen to be fixed.

No more than a few minutes passed and my plate had come back - steak still raw. I refused to eat the plate and sent it back - I had told the server I would prefer not to order anything as the rest of the table was nearly finished eating. I was encouraged to order at least something; I finally agreed to a soup - why I bothered entertaining this idea I'll never know...

The soup was delivered by a floor manager - an incompetent one no less, he offered the soup and advised that my meal would be at no charge and left. I had a few spoon fulls of the soup and decided this could be the only saving grace to my evening... Until I pulled the spoon from my soup to find a strand of hair - not some eye lash, but rather a strand which seemed to continue for more than I wanted to entertain.

You can imagine that this was the final straw - I summoned the manager from the bar where he was more concerned with socializing with the waitresses than checking to see if I was satisfied with the soup...

I cannot believe how a restaurant that operates under your management could do so poorly in executing on our experience. I am positive you have a firm grasp of how impressions are formed and how this experience will make me seriously think before I return to a Charcoal group restaurant... I used to regard your establishments quite highly - now, I have no remorse telling every person I know, of my experience last night.

The manager offered for us to come back and eat at the restaurant's compliments - I can't imagine how we would EVER entertain this idea.

• Visited January 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Vancouver, Canada
“Great brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent Christmas with his family in Kitchener and needed to 'escape' for a little one-on-one time, so we went out for brunch here. Beautiful interior, great service, great menu. Best omelette I've ever had in my entire brunching life, hands down. Can't complain about this one.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Nice atmosphere...okay food (skip the seafood)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

A group of four of us went to Bauer on a Saturday night. The staff was very friendly and the place had a nice...but the food was rather disappointing. Three of us had seafood, and everyone's fish was overcooked (my salmon was hard!). It was quite obvious that they don't know how to cook seafood, so I don't know why they bother to have it on the menu. One is our group had a steak, which he said was okay. The place was full, but none of us thought that Bauer was anything special. Go for the atmosphere...not the food.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Canada
“Good job Wideman's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

The latest effort by Tim Wideman and company. More casual than Wildcraft but same great quality. Love going especially for lunch. A restaurant for the whole family but definitely upscale from your typical family restaurant. Even the kids will like it.

Waterloo, Canada
“nice atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Pleasant is how I would describe this place, and the food was tasty.