“Come to downtown Welland!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Welland
“Come to downtown Welland!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

With great restaurants like this perhaps downtown if worth a visit. The service was excellent and the Alfredo Pizza was amazing!!! And the Ceaser salad was delicious and enough to share. The chef came to our table to ask for our opinion on the Alfredo sauce. He really cared about our response. Obviously a man who loves his craft and the food he prepares.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Welland, Ontario
“An Excellent Italian Restaurant in Downtown Welland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We finally got to eat at this restaurant tonight. You really need reservations to eat here on the weekend. We were very pleased with our dinner tonight. My husband had the fettucine alfredo which he said was very tasty. I had the special penne alla vodtka with chicken & sausage - excellent - and I brought home enough to have for lunch tomorrow. This restaurant is small, a bit noisy but excellent food & friendly service. I urge Wellanders to give this place a try -I don't think you'll be disappointed. We've travelled extensively and we rate this restaurant as being very good.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Welland, Canada
“Extremely disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

After having my husbands parents (His father is 'right off the boat' Italian) rave about this restaurant, we went with high expectations. What an excruciating experience to say the least!
We were told that we MUST have reservations, so we followed that recommendation...to our ONLY benefit! We arrived to a packed restaurant. We were sat at a quaint table in the back. Before we could sit, we had to move our table, because, what we later realized was one of the owners, was sitting at the other table and left us no room to get into our chairs, and even after trying to excuse ourselves, wouldn't move....I could go on an on, but I think I'll run over the alloted characters so I will stick to the nuts and bolts...
-The restaurant was uncomfortably hot, and smokey (from the wood fired ovens)
-Our water glasses were dirty, and the water was warm
-Our wine/beer glasses were filthy...and warm (most restaurants serve chilled glasses with beer typically?!)
-Pizza was ok, but the outter edge of the crust wasn't even edible, or we'd break a tooth! And it took an hour and a half JUST for 2 pizzas!
-Service was soooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooow
-We weren't offered dessert menus, and upon asking for them, waited 20 minutes to see them
-Waited 40 minutes for our bill...and this was after ASKING for it....we literally had stand by our table with our coats on waiting
-Our beginning to end experience lasted a painful THREE HOURS...and we didn't even end up getting dessert because the waiter never came back to take our order!
Needless to say, we will NEVER go back...I'd rather eat Little Ceasars!
Oh, and on a side not: the owners clearly have 'regulars' that are favoured...we saw City officials come, eat and leave before we had even been served our meal.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Niagara Falls, Canada
“If you think this place is good ...you haven't eaten out much”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

maybe OK for Welland...but a complete disappointment on a national or world stage...food marginal at best...their version of Pizza Margherita was the worst I've ever been served...anywhere on planet Earth (and I use this as a standard rating pizza)...the pizza crust was inedible...would have broken a tooth had I tried to bite into the outer edge... personally I think they don't know how to make pizza...period...Salmon with Penne (actually served with linguine) was passable ...on a scale of 1-10...'5"...basically "just OK"...we sat in the corner by the bathroom (not a big deal) but we were right next to the wood used for the cooking in the pizza oven...the wood was completely covered with mould...unfortunately we noticed this after eating what we could of our pizza...the wait staff was OK ...but...will never entertain going back...complete lack of value...a bit of a funny note ...the waiter kept asking if we would like to take our leftover portions home...

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Welland, Canada
“Amazing Ethnic Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Welland is known for its multicultural population and Il Fornetto is an amazing showcase of how ethnic cuisine can be appealing to everyone.

The restaurant is one of the few in downtown Welland that had a full lunch menu. I tried a Panini made with Focaccia and fresh peppers and mushroom.

This restaurant would be even better with a group - there are plenty of new food options that cannot be found in Welland. (That alone normally guarantees a "Best X in Welland" post) The variety is limited only by the time of day. Some lunch menu items are not available for dinner. Try the lunch menu first though.

The restaurant seems to have a strong local following. Check it out.

• Visited March 2013