“Good food, too pricey” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Montreal, Canada
“Good food, too pricey”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

PortoVino, as its name indicates, is a bring your own wine restaurant. So, how do they make up for the loss of markup for not having a liquor license? Over priced food. Surf and Turf = small filtet mignon (less than 6 ozs) with 1 large shrimp (You know the Thai steroid ones). One! Want a second shrimp? $8 The meal itself, with veggies, is already $52.

It is well prepared, presented and the service is exellent. But this is rather pricey for a no liquor place, and if the portions relfected the price.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Montreal
“AMAZING SUNDAY BRUNCH!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

A little pricey at $33ea plus tax and tip, but absolutely delicious with so many choices. Great for a special occasion. You need reservation, which i had but to my surprised the parking lot was full at 1030am. Maybe 100cars already there at 1030am. That says how popular and how good it really is. For three people with tax and tip all in, it was $125. So go hungry and get your money s worth like i did. Best to go for a workout before going to this brunch so your stomach can keep up with your eyes.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hudson, Canada
“o.k but pricey for what you get.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was a celebratory dinner of about 15 people and we all apreciated their BYOW policy. We had reservations and our table was ready when we got there. They have 2 seatings 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. We had the earlier seating and that was fine. Table service was good but the food took over and hour to arrive ( I guess that is what happens when everyone orders at once). I had the gnocchi with gorgonzola which was tasty and rich ,but the gnocchi were just a tad tough. A friend had a pricey steak and , although it was cooked well, was somewhat tasteless . I was told that the lamb shank too was unimpressive. desserts were all $10.00 which too seemed a bit excessive.
All in all, it was a pleasant meal, a good atmosphere but left us somewhat unimpressed.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Montreal
“Birthday gone wrong !!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Firstly, my boyfriend made a reservation for 25+, and stated that we would be bringing a cake. We were told numerous times about 3.00$ extra for bringing our own desert, which was not a problem. Once I arrived, the seating area was not put together. My boyfriend and I , had to rearrange the tables, since clearly this was to difficult for them. Not only were the tables not put together, when we did have a reservation, but they only gave us one waiter!! Our reservation was for 9:00 and once everyone arrived it was around 10:00. We were a large group, an obviously taking our orders for 30 people will take with just one waiter. To make matters worse, the waiter kept pulling everyone aside telling us that the restaurant closes at 11:00. All our meals were cold, I did not enjoy my pasta rosé at all, the waiter also messed up my friends order twice, and asked him to just eat it since it was already made. Once it was time to pay, disaster hit! He didn't know who had what, he messed up everyone's bills, and my guests had to wait 15 mins for their bill! I really did not enjoy the service, not did I appreciate the fact that my reservation was not taken seriously. We went back to complain later to the manager, which we were told to come back since he wasn't there. We went the next day to find out that the manager has not been there for a week since he was going I for an operation. Clearly we were getting the run around. Overall I would never go back again!

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Good but not inexpensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Once upon a time when taking out business associates I may have found this kind of food and price "the going rate" but now that I am retired I found it a bit overpriced.
I enjoyed the food we had but I dont drink so the " bring your own bottle concept " did not do much for me and I do think everyone is paying for that wine service.
My friends did bring something along with them but since they live in Montreal they appear to do that to most of the restaurants they frequent...in fact it was their suggestion that we meet at this place.
Not a restaurant I could afford to bring the family to with any frequency.
The osso bucco was good.
service was good
atmosphere was good
Nothing was "great" so i found it all a bit expensive.

• Visited July 2012