“Fine Dinning” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Trough Dining Co.

The Trough Dining Co.
Ranked #2 of 103 Restaurants in Canmore
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Located just one block away from Main Street.
Canmore, Canada
“Fine Dinning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Very popular place to go for fine dinning. I have been there many times with my husband and recently with a group of ladies and the service and food was outstanding! Highly recommend making a reservation.

• Visited October 2012

Edmonton, Canada
“Mediocre Food, Great Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The service at the Trough was unmatched by any of the other restaurants I've ever been too. Ever. The staff (including the chefs) did an amazing job at making you feel right at home. The quaint setting and atmosphere were perfect as well.

Unfortunately though I had to take a point off because the food just didn't wow me. It didn't live up to the hype that I'd read from other TripAdvisor reviews.

Maybe my girlfriend and I didn't make the best selections...who knows? Still, I would recommend this restaraunt to anyone.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary
“Fantastic New Years Eve Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I have been to the Trough a couple of times before and have always been very happy with the service and the meals. We reserved the 6:30PM seating for the set 4 course meal for New Years Eve. As always the staff work as a team and no matter which table you are at, all take part in providing you with great service. We started off with a glass of wine (included in the meal) and then had an amuse bouche of Bison Carpaccio which was delicious. The first course was a Thai Lemongrass soup with shrimp, again an amazing. Second course was a choice of Duck Confit Salad or Bison Samosa's, we chose both and shared, the salad was a whole leg and thigh of duck, it was huge and both were again very good. The entree's we chose were the Lamb rack and Duck breast, now these were both fantastic. The three courses before led us to barely touching our deserts which was a trio of small deserts (tiramisu, a chocolate truffle and some sort of filo pastry) and a cheese plate (which we took home). It was a great dining experience....again!

We can honestly say that we think of the Trough as truly a fantastic restaurant to enjoy along with a handful of restaurants in Calgary. We will definitely return for the food and the service and highly recommend this restaurant always to our friends.

• Visited December 2012
Calgary
“Upset and Dissatisfied”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I went to this restaurant with a couple of friends on Dec. 30. I will never step foot in this place again as I have never been more upset and humiliated leaving a restaurant. I had made reservations for 2 a couple of days before as I had heard great reviews, and the 2 friends I was going with had eaten here before. When I found out, the day before our reso, that another friend was going to join us, I immediately called Trough to change or reso to 3 for 8:30pm. We were staying overnight in Canmore and were waiting for our taxi, which was a few minutes late. I called right away to inform the restaurant that we were on our way, and were 10 mins late at the most. When we entered we were told by the mother of the owner that our reso was for 2. I informed her that I had changed it to 3, but she just kept telling us that our reso was for 2, which I thought was very strange. It was as if she was telling us that we would have to leave as there wasn’t room for the 3 of us. She asked, in an accusatory manner, who it was that I spoke to when I changed the reso. I responded that I didn’t know as I didn’t think I would need to know the name of the person (I’m pretty sure it was the sister of the owner as she had a very strong English accent). Eventually the sister came by and changed tables around so that they could accommodate us, which we appreciated. We were told to wait at the bar while they got our table ready. We would have liked to have ordered a glass of wine, but were ignored by the bartender. After 15 mins of waiting we were seated. By the time our food order was taken and entered it was about 9:15. I’m focusing on the timing as the owner kept focusing on the time our food was ordered, like we were at least a half hr late for our reso, which wasn’t true. After over a half hour later I had to ask for some bread as our dinners still weren’t ready. Our server, who was the English sister, told us that one chef didn’t come to work and they had a party of 12, and that our food should be on the way. First of all, we didn’t want to hear excuses. Second of all, there was no communication. After waiting 45 mins! (it being 10pm by this time) our food came out. We were in the middle of the small restaurant, and quite a while had gone by before anyone came over to take our dirty dishes away. By this time the place was getting very empty and all we wanted was our bill, which we had to eventually ask for. We were extremely angry by this time at the service we had and were shocked to get a bill with the full amount! I worked in the serving industry for many years, and at an establishment like this, I would have automatically taken something off the bill, especially when it wasn’t our fault! When we explained why we were dissatisfied our server told us to ‘stop yelling at her’, which was very odd as we weren’t ‘yelling’ in the least. We were the only table left and I the entire staff was starring at us like we were common criminals looking for a free meal! I have NEVER been more humiliated in my life!! All 3 of us are fortunate enough to hold jobs that allow us to eat at places like this. All we were asking for was acknowledgment and maybe a ‘sorry for the mistakes’. After taking the bottle of wine off of the cost the owner threw the bill at us. I honestly couldn’t believe what was happening!! A customer should NEVER be treated like this!! If you are going to spend your hard earned money on a nice meal DO NOT go here!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Syracuse, NY
“Our best dining experience in Alberta, Canada!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Both the service and the food at this restaurant are exceptional, it was one of the highlights of our trip to the Canadian Rockies. My husband had the Scallops and Pork Belly and I had the Free Range Chicken. The ingredients are locally sourced when possible, and the staff is very knowledgeable about the menu items.

• Visited September 2012