“Nice getaway from our girls for Xmas” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Lodges at Canmore to your Saves list
The Lodges at Canmore
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   107 Montane Rd, Canmore, Alberta T1W 3J2, Canada   |
“Nice getaway from our girls for Xmas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We got the getaway as a Xmas gift from our 2 daughters for 4 nights at the Lodges at Canmore. Very hard to find at night in the dark. We enjoyed our stay and condo was clean, but did not need a 2 bedrooms as there was only myself, husband and small dog. My daughter booked a 1 bedroom suite thru Expedia and it said they accepted pets, so I phone to make sure they take dogs and the only condo's for small pets was to get a2 bedroom condo which had another $80.00 per night fee times 4 nights plus $20.00 per nite pet fee. I think that is terrible advertising on your behalf as I cannot believe 1 of the condo 1 bedroom owners did not allow pets. We really enjoyed the getaway but not impressed with having to pay additional $400.00 per night. I would stay again if I was not made to take 2 bedroom suite. Hopefully you will straitened this out as I do not believe your answer of only 2 bedroom condos only take small dogs. Also most hotels have a maximum of $50.00 for pet fees not just $20.00 per day a real money maker for condo owners. Information online sites said you took dogs, and really you do not . Not happy at all and will let everyone I know of the BAD advertising

Room Tip: Make sure you r not forced to pay for a 2 bedroom condo when on,y needed one bed And I had a small...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_FireMtnLodge, Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Hi Joyce B,

Good to see you had a nice getaway at the Lodges. We have removed pet frienldy from our expedia room description to avoid any future misunderstandings. (We have a limited number of pet friendly suites, all of which are 2 bedrooms). Our pet fee has a maximum of $100 ( 5 nights x $20), afterwhich there is no further charge. A portion of this fee supports the local SPCA.

I hope we can welcome you and your pet back to the Lodges at Canmore.

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family recently returned home after a stay at the Lodges at Canmore. We stayed in the Cougar Lodge.

Upon arrival everything appeared to be in order. However, after walking around the suite I noticed a few things that were not safe and/or clean.

First I noticed that there was a nail sticking out of the carpet in a high-traffic area. This would have potentially been a real hazard for my one-year old, two-year old, and four-year old. Thankfully my husband had some vice grips along and was able to remove it.

As I was getting ready to prepare supper I took out the cutting boards to discover that they were dirty! Not only was there food residue on them but there was hair stuck to them.

The carpets were filthy and stained and I didn't even want my kids playing on the floor. The batteries in the remote control for the DVD player were dead, but thankfully I had extra batteries along for one of my son's games.

As I was preparing my children for bed time, I pulled back the sheets to discover hair in my children's bed! Not only long hairs, but short hairs that appeared to be, well, you know... It seemed to be that the bed had simply been remade after the previous guests and the sheets never changed!

We then went into the master bedroom and pulled back the sheets on that bed and discovered more hair!

We called the front desk and asked them to come change the sheets, which, they did. However, it took over 30 minutes for them to finally come! My children should have long been in bed by then.

After the sheets were changed and the kids were in bed my husband and I double-checked our bed and once again there was hair on the underside of the pillowcase! The one that had just been changed.

My husband then called the front desk again and they literally asked him what we wanted them to do about it. The staff were very unhelpful.

After the first evening's debacle, we were able to settle in a little better. However, a major problem occurred when I went to use the stove. The oven itself was disgusting and dirty. It was obvious that it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. As soon as I started to bake in it, it started smoking and smelling like it was burning. The smoke detector even went off. I had to get out 2 fans and point them at the stove. The strangest thing to me is that even though the smoke detector went off, no one came to check. Wouldn't that be something to be concerned about?

A couple other things to point out were that the pool was very dirty and there were pigeons swimming in it! The hot tub was hot, but none of the jets worked and it was full of whatever was used to get rid of the snow on the pool deck (ice melt?).

We did have family staying in the Wolf Lodge and it was much nicer, but the Cougar Lodge was severely lacking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manager_FireMtnLodge, Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Good Afternoon Alli,

After reading this review, I cannot apologise enough for the service that you received during your stay at The Lodges at Canmore. I have notified all of the correct departments with the issues that you mentioned. We will be going through the process of deep cleaning in our suites in the near future.
I would like to welcome you back to The Lodges at Canmore in the near future, possibly we could book you into our premium suites as they are all in our newest building.

Kind Regards,
Tanya Whelan
Guest Services Supervisor
Lodges at Canmore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for a few days over New Years in the Wolf Lodge building. We had an end unit which was nice because we had views in more than one direction however it also meant that we had a fair bit of vehicle and pedestrian noise from the street right below us. The unit was well stocked and clean and it was nice being in the same building as the pool and hot tub. While it was nice to have the heated pool in the middle of winter, it certainly was on the cool side.

The front desk agents were very accommodating to our various requests and provided prompt service in spite of how busy they were at times.

Much like the previous reviews suggest, the WiFi here is terrible. Very slow and got disconnected multiple times. Unfortunately there's no hard-wired internet connection in the units either, just a pay station in the lobby. The parking garage is fairly tight and usually pretty full but the heated indoor parking is a very nice touch.

The location is excellent and is just a short walk into town. This is my second time staying here and I've enjoyed both stays but I would be curious explore other options next time. You'll enjoy the stay here but there might be better places out there too.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manager_FireMtnLodge, Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Hi Arlin,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Tripadvisor. Delighted to see you enjoyed our clean, well stocked suites with pool & hot tub facilities and heated parking. Great to see our front desk staff were prompt in responding to your requests. We do offer a variety of different accommodation options in Canmore. You can always choose our more upscale properties at Blackstone or our 5 * Solara

Guest Services Manager
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights over New Year's with my extended family. Even though it was New Year's the rooms were very well insulated from the noise outside. Had a great stay and would definitely go back! The only down side was our room was not ready at check-in (4 pm) and finally got into our room at 5:30 pm but we found things to occupy ourselves downtown.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manager_FireMtnLodge, Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Hi RF,

Great to see you enjoyed bringing in the New Year with us at the Lodges. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay with us. Its a very busy time of the year for us, but we do endeavor to get everyone in their room as soon as possible.

Wish you all the best for your travel adventures in 2013!

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Gathering at the Lodges at Canmore for celebrating my Mothers 100th Xmas [birthday March 6th 1923] was was a great choice .We had a 2 bedroom condo for 6 nights with good facilities and I was able to cook a complete Xmas dinner for 7[2 of the family stayed 2 nights in a premium 1 bedroom condo and were most impressed with their facilities] Our only complaint in the 2 bedroom was that the pillows were a bit hard.

Hi Jel225,

Delighted to see you and your family had such a great stay with us over the Christmas. Wonderful that everyone appreciated all the facilities at the resort, and that you were able to cook your family's Christmas dinner in the suite.

I wish your Mum a very Happy 100th Birthday.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My family and I stayed in the Cougar Lodge for 5 days for Christmas.
Let's start with the good:
- Great Location
- Reasonably Affordable
- Pet Friendly
- Decently nice rooms
- Underground parking
Now the bad:
- WiFi is absolutely horrendous. Barely works with any computers
- Pillows are very uncomfortable. Bring your own.
- Kitchenware is extremely poor quality
- Front desk staff is rude and unhelpful
- Gym was a little sparse
Overall, I would stay here again if they got the internet issues sorted out. For the price and location it is a pretty good place to stay. Just bring your own pillows and look over some smaller faults.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manager_FireMtnLodge, Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. Glad to see you enjoyed the location, value, rooms and heated parking. We are currently adding more access points to the wi-fi, which will enable the system to better handle peak usage.We endeavor to provide the best guest experience and appreciate your feedback in this regard. I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Canmore.

-Adrian,
Guest Services Manager
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed in Cougar Lodge from December 7-12. We had a discount rate and would have moved to a different hotel if we were paying full price.

The check-in process was quick and we were directed to a few good local restaurants. There were several bellhop carts available to take our bags up to our room.

Upon entering our unit, we were really happy with the 1 1/2 baths, the loft bedroom, ensuite laundry and full kitchen. While exploring the kitchen in preparation to make dinner, I noticed several of the dishes and glasses had food residue. The carpet also looked like it had been very hurriedly vacuumed. We also kept finding long dark hairs on the couch, on the bathroom towels and on the bathroom floors. The entry system to the garage seemed to only work only after inserting the card 5-10 times.

Note that the units are privately owned. This meant that we had 4 phone calls from people asking for who we presumed were the owners. The units are NOT cleaned/re-stocked until the 5th day of your stay, so only stay here if you're tidy! Extra supplies are available from the front desk for $5. We were provided a very tiny bottle of dish detergent and 2 units of dishwasher detergent. While only my husband and I were staying in the unit, we had to run the dishwasher more than twice because it didn't work very well and because several pieces of cutlery were missing from the 6 place settings.

Pros:
Washer/Dryer
Free underground parking
Full kitchen
Close to downtown Canmore
Gas Fireplace

Cons:
Shabby, rough towels
Needs a deep clean
Very small stock of kitchen supplies
Missing kitchen cutlery

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Manager_FireMtnLodge, Manager at The Lodges at Canmore, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Hi Natalie,

Thanks for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. I am happy to see you found the suites spacious and enjoyed our heated parking, in-suite laundry, full kitchen and gas fireplaces. I will address your housekeeping concerns with the head of the department. All our suites get periodic deep cleans. Your feedback is valued, as we endeavor to ensure each guest experience is the best it can be.

-Adrian,
Guest Services Manager.

Been to The Lodges at Canmore? Share your experiences!