“Tireless Effort by Staff brings off a Great Wedding Event” 5 of 5 stars

A Bear and Bison Canadian Country Inn
705 Benchlands Trail, Canmore, Alberta T1W 3C7, Canada   |
Ranked #3 of 34 Canmore B&B and Inns
Canmore, Canada
“Tireless Effort by Staff brings off a Great Wedding Event”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our daughter’s wedding and reception was booked for July 13 at the Bear and Bison. In late June Canmore was subject to severe flooding which caused Cougar Creek to wash out the roadway in front of the Inn and to destroy the sewer, water, electricity, natural gas, and telephone connections to the Inn. The tremendous force of the water eroded the material in front of the Inn right to the footing of the deck to a depth of about 12 feet.

Over the three weeks between the flooding and the wedding date, Lonny and his staff worked tirelessly to try to get the Inn back in operation. As the ability to get the Inn open was dependent upon the various services being reconnected, he paid particular attention to working with the utility companies and workmen and to lobbying local government to get businesses back in operation. Early in the week before the wedding, he hosted a lunch at the Inn for all the workers who were moving gravel, reconnecting lines and re-installing the washed out electrical transformer. By Thursday night, the day before guests were to arrive the Inn was back in operation!

In addition to his determination to get the Inn operational, Lonny was very accommodating with regard to contingency planning. He agreed to cater the reception in our backyard if it had been impossible to reopen the Inn. In addition, he was very accommodating with the room utilization requirements, as several guests had rebooked to alternative facilities.

The actual wedding and reception came off perfectly with all the guests enjoying themselves and the venue being excellent for the size of the group. Our thanks to Lonny and the staff for their efforts to make our daughter's and her new husband’s wedding a fine event.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BearandBisonInn, Owner at A Bear and Bison Canadian Country Inn, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your comment. We really appreciate it!
On June 20th 2013, Our area was hit by a massive flood, no one was hurt due to the efforts of the many local hero's,
We would like to pass along a great big thank you to all those involved in saving our town and our Inn,
A Bear and Bison Inn remained untouched and as according to this review,
has successfully reopened! Thanks for that!!!
I would like to thank all of the hard work by our dedicated staff, town workers, and many othes who have gotten everything back to normal.
The road is to be paved this week, and with it all traces of the flood damage will be gone!
As the owner I would also like to express my thanks to this reviewer and all of our guests who have supported us through these difficult times!
We really appreciate your support and your business, after being closed for 3 weeks and having to cancel 7 huge weddings and many other guest bookings, your kind words and thoughts have really helped us!
We would like to announce that Canmore is open for business, and so are we!
Please come and support the local economy!
Lonny and Fiona Middleton

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We got married here in February, and packed the place with friends and family staying either here or at the conveniently located Creekside Inn (within easy staggering distance). The staff were extremely welcoming, and their expertise hosting weddings is priceless; they took care of everything we could think of so my wife and I could just enjoy ourselves, confident that the staff could deal with any hitch that might come up. You're putting your wedding in the hands of friendly, experienced and accommodating professionals who love what they do, in a location you'll not soon forget. The plentiful and phenomenal food warrants a mention of its own!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

After experiencing Bear and Bison for six days, I am convinced that when you pick the right B&B, it can be truly special and a real treat. (I once stayed in a B&B on Toronto Island and was so put off by the lack of professionalism and cleanliness, I have been wary since). With the Bear and Bison, even the website doesn't quite capture the charm and quaintness of this place, which I could feel was made with love and care by the owners at first sight. And, it is managed and run with real people aiming to make other people happy. All staff I have encountered have been so friendly and genuine: Jacob, Jessica, Marc, Dave, Charlotte. Thank you all!

This visit to Bear and Bison has been relaxing, non intrusive and comfortable, exactly what any vacation 'home' should be like. And, it reflects western hospitality that is sincere, personal and unpretentious. Come in your jeans, hiking boots and fleece, and just chill ... or come here to get married, or to celebrate some other occasion. I noticed a token of appreciation from a former guest who must have been so blown away by the service and her memories here that she had a crystal plaque made for the staff and owners to express appreciation.

As for pricing, this is a great value when compared to what other Canmore, Banff and Lake Louise accommodations have to offer. Pricing is even more incredible when compared to that of city hotels, for what you are getting: a very comfortable room, a great breakfast, extremely personalized service and a view that constantly takes your breath away. And, compared to similar mountainous places in Australia, New Zealand, Switerland, China and so on, this place would be at least $500/night without breakfast! I have no doubt that once internationally traveled tourists find out about Canmore's Bear and Bison, demand will go up, and the prices will catch up - so enjoy this place while it is still reasonably priced!

Location: The Inn is located inside Canmore beside a road, which was a surprise to me based on the website photo, however, there are no other accommodations that I have seen in Canmore that would be any quieter than at Bear and Bison, unless you go camping in the woods. These are the mountains; building is restricted to the town site from what I have seen. Bear and Bison is in a quieter corner of town just at the entrance to a newer subdivision of about 50 houses. All traffic would be from people going to and from work, not tourist traffic like downtown or along the main highway strips. If you are from a rural area, the traffic will seem like much. If you are from the city, you wouldn't notice the traffic as anything unusual. There is almost no traffic noise between 10 pm and 6 am which I would imagine is peak time for sleeping.

Accessability: Driving is required to take in the numerous hikes unless you have time to travel the big expansive distances in the mountains. Canmore is so much quieter and less crowded than Banff of Lake Louise. And Kananaskis Country during shoulder season is like having a massive playground almost all to yourself.

Facility: Of course, it is not a hotel and will not be laid out like a hotel where everything is predictable. I stayed in room 1 on the top level with a nice view of the Three Sisters mountain range. Bear and Bison is full of surprises and ways to mix things up a bit, including the location of the jacuzzi tub in the main bedroom and the various decorative items such as a wooden rocking horse next to giant semi-truck model which is across from a reclining Buddha, complete with hand made wooden frames, fireplace, drawers and bed. The designer has obviously traveled to Asia and you will find various Asian elements mixed in with country style goodness. Given the small size of the property and limited number of rooms, each room is different and can be better understood if you review the website and study the different features of each, BEFORE booking. European showers aren't for everyone (unless you are from Europe I guess), so be informed when you book. The different pricing reflects the different features. All of the photos make the rooms look bigger than they are, but the small cosy size of the rooms add to their charm. The toilet and sink are enclosed with a set of drawers inside, which is quirky but workable. Love the use of old railroad track spikes as the towel hooks. There is a piano on the second level landing accompanied by books, a bison's head and a bearskin draped over the railings to add to the charm. The hot tub is adjacent the road, but sufficiently enclosed with a fence so that when you are sitting in it, you can still gaze out at the Three Sisters. Comfortable bed too. Fireplace very comforting when chilled from the outdoors.

Breakfast: every meal is different and with some element of surprise. I didn't ever think to use balsamic vinegar in the way they use it here! I consider myself a big eater and I have been satisfied with the serving sizes and variety of flavors, along with the nutritional value of each meal as a whole. The breakfast dining area is small and bright. You also have the option of having breakfast delivered to your room if you prefer.

Overall, a special stay in a special place. I plan to return and bring friends and relatives!

Room Tip: Go ahead and spend the extra 20-40 dollars and book any of the rooms on the top level for the best v...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

stayed at the Inn recently and we had a great time there. Staff was great and friendly, breakfast was great. Location and the view of the mountains is stunning. The fact that we were the only guest that night added to the peace and quiet and we enjoyed the Inn to the fullest. The fact that there is nice restaurant - The Iron Goat- right next to the Inn with a great menu just rounds up the enjoyment of the stay.

Room Tip: the rooms on the top floor are of course the best ones. All rooms face the mountains
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We recently took over the whole inn for my nephews graduation. We arrived on Friday evening, and checked out on Sunday. I didn't want to leave!!
Everything about the Bear and Bison is wonderful. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, and uniquely decorated. The whole inn is filled with antiques and interesting pieces of furniture and décor. There is an air about the place that makes you feel like you are staying in an old country estate/getaway. It is very warm and welcoming, and you feel at home as soon as you walk in the door.
The staff there makes you feel very much at home, and looked after us very well. When we checked in, I asked Marc for some decaf coffee for my room and he brought it down to me right away, and also said if there was anything at all we needed to just ask. When I went down for breakfast the next morning, he had made sure to tell the rest of the staff that I was a decaf person, and as soon as I sat down they brought me a fresh pot!! Marc also did our silver platter supper service on Saturday evening, and it was done very well.....very classy. He fit in with our crowd and was such a pleasure to have there. He is definitely an asset to the B&B, and we enjoyed his company immensely.
The food there is also impressive. The breakfasts are amazing, and I would highly recommend the silver tray service for a group. We were served so many tasty dishes that I have never even seen before.
If you have a special occasion.....family reunion, wedding etc, I would definitely recommend checking this place out. It would also be a great romantic weekend getaway. You won't be disappointed, in fact they totally surpassed my expectations in every way this weekend!! I can't say enough good things about the Bear & Bison and I can't wait to go back.
Again......thank you Marc and the rest of the staff for making this a very memorable and special weekend.
Kandis

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very large, and nicely decorated.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Away from the centre of Canmore with a stunning view of The Three Sisters, this B&B is very pretty and very comfortable. Our room came equipped with a Jacuzzi tub and bubble bath so I had a luxurious lie in the tub (and there is also an outdoor hot tub, if that's what you prefer). There is also a gas fireplace that makes the room feel even cosier as well as a small balcony.

It was a very romantic setting for our third wedding anniversary and our wedding night three years ago.

Room Tip: For our wedding three years ago, we had the top room on the north side of the building with views of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were looking for a quiet getaway for my husband and I. The Bear and Bison Country Inn in Canmore, Alberta, answered ALL our demands and exceeded them! Charming setting, friendly staff and beautiful breakfast (included in the price!) I will recommend to all our friends!
Thank you for such a nice relaxing stay!
Suzanne

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to A Bear and Bison Canadian Country Inn? Share your experiences!