“This is a hostel so don't expect a hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hostel Bear to your Saves list
Hostel Bear
Hostel Bear
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1002 Bow Valley Trail, Canmore, Alberta T1W 1N6, Canada (Formerly "Bear Country Lodge")   |
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
“This is a hostel so don't expect a hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

**REVIEW NOTES**
I travel a lot on business by
myself and being self employed very keen on price and keeping expenses low.

And so the following factors about where I stay in my reviews are the most important to me. I these mark out of 5: 0 = very poor / absent, to 5 = could not be better, n/a means not assessed.

I hope theses niche ratings will help other travellers with similar needs.
_____________________________________________________
**RATINGS**

Enough space in room to easily use as temporary office and sleeping space:

Desk or similar other surface to work at laptop: 3 (but in common area)

Value for money at price paid (stated in brackets): 5 (£GB22 per night one person)

Free wifi: 5

Mobile internet signal (on UK Vodafone): n/a

Checking in after midnight: 5

Helpfulness of staff: 3 (guy in evening good, woman in the morning poor)

Car parking value for money: 5

Access by public transport: n/a

Somewhere to go for a relaxing walk after work nearby: 3

**Other notes**
Stayed for two nights and asked for a new towel after the first night (rather than leave wet one in the dorm), but this was refused by young-ish woman on reception on the second morning - 13 July 2013. I felt this poor as you only get one towel (a small bath towel) and they were not having to provide new bed linen for the second night etc. Would have been more effective for me if I'd done two separate bookings - would have cost me no more and got a fresh towel, but 2 lots of admin for them.

Yes - disturbed in night by drunk / needy / confused girl looking for her bed, coming in leaving main light on at 2am and talking with her friend, but that's was you gamble with when you get a dorm bed.

If there's more that 3 of you probably a better deal at a motel, but as a single traveller in an expensive area, this saved lots of cash; all I wanted was somewhere to sleep.

Beds good for a hostel - didn't squeek and you could sleep with your valuables at your side as quite wide with wodden edgings

Things that my reviews don't consider (as they are not of value to me when working) are:
Breakfasts in a dining room
# Leisure facilities
# Storage space
# Romantic location / room etc
# Quietness - I sleep fine even if noisy outside

Room Tip: Rooms at back can be noisy with trains - rooms at front noisy with guests
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The facilities at the hostel were good. It has a big, new kitchen and a lovely sitting area. It is close to the highway and close to supermarkets. the staff were friendly and helpful.
The train line runs right behind the hostel, so bring your earplugs.It was very hot because there is not A/C

Room Tip: The train line runs right behind the hostel, so bring your earplugs
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I recently stayed at this hostel and can't say enough about my incredible experience. All the staff were very friendly and helpful in suggesting some awesome activities while in this beautiful town. I've stayed in many hostels across Canada and the cleanliness of the Hostel Bear's rooms and modern facilities far exceeded my expectations. Also, I found the nightly rates to be great value. I highly recommend this hostel and will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Came here for a weekend with the girls and this is a great hostel. I really liked the private room that we stayed in with the cool local phoography, wood bunkbeds and my OWN bathroom - hello!! The location was awesome - I was able to walk to the bar and grocery store. I would highly recommend staying here for the price, location and views. Gorgeous in comparison with the other hostels on my trip.

• Stayed May 2013
Kearl Lake Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Greeting fellow travelers. I've been staying at the Hostel Bear on and off for over 3 years. I work in Northern Alberta for three weeks and stay at the Bear on my week off. Its my home away from home. Having travelled extensively (Over 50 countries and territories) this is the best equipped Hostel I've ever been in. The large kitchen has everything you need to whip up a gourmet meal.
I've stayed in both the private rooms and the dorms. The large solid dorm beds are the most comfortable you will find on your travels. They have privacy curtains and a light for late night reading. Now I stay in a private room with beautiful log furniture, a fireplace and nice bathroom with a big bathtub. All the staff I've met over the years range from very good to awesome. The management and owners are caring and competent professionals. If your are travelling alone or a large group I would recommend The Hostel Bear as your home away from home. May you enjoy your stay as much as I have over the years.
I hope to see you here.
Brent

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Newmarket, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Hostel Bear... most amazing place i have ever stayed. I travel very frequently and have stayed in a number of B&Bs, hotels,motels,hostels ect...i have never felt more at "home" than with the Hostel Bear. The kind and generous staff are there for your every need and concern. Not only do they have fun activities that everyone can participate in on the regular, but they also celebrate every holiday and make you feel like a part of the family. Clean, friendly, fun and safe...what more can you ask for? its also conveniently located right by the downtown core of Canmore. I highly recommend this establishment. I made life long memories there and life long friends!!! Going back this summer!

Room Tip: Rooms facing Lady Mcdonald are the obvious choice, but any room is more than satisfactory!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
mpettis, General Manager at Hostel Bear, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for your review. It is very nice to hear that we have made such an impact with you. It is our pleasure to help make every ones stay as enjoyable as possible regardless of time of year. We encourage everyone to participate in any events we have and we are pleased to see you enjoyed them so much. Thank you for your review and we will see you again in the summer.
Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed at the hostel bear and after the 2nd night our group experienced bed bugs in our room, staff then moved us and ensured us it was going to be dealt with but the bugs came back, again asking the staff if the problem will be rectified they started treating the room themselves without professional help and did not did not inform us of the chemicals being used, our groups compliants were taken very negatively and when our group returned from a backcountry ski expedition 2 days ago we were told to leave the hostel.

• Stayed March 2013
Hello James,

I am sorry to hear you have been misinformed regarding your groups reservation with us. It was an unfortunate event that your room had to deal with an issue of bedbugs which we are certain was brought to us by a fellow traveler traveling within your group. Rest assured all of our staff are trained and certified to deal with any issues that may arise including issues of pest control. All pest control products are 100 percent safe to humans. It is unfortunate that your group leader did not inform you of what type of chemicals we used to treat rooms. We had worked very closely with your group leaders to help with this issue and after many times of treatment with the issue still there we had come to the conclusion that a member of your group was not fully compliant with what we had requested of your group in order to get rid of the pest in your room.

We approached your group leader and discussed the possibility of some students deciding to stay or to find other accommodation in which they informed us that there was a meeting with your group and you all decided to leave. We in no way requested everyone to leave the premises. It was the decision of the "group".

We have had every room as a precaution treated. We have also had every room inspected by a certified company with a highly trained dog and we have had a 100% clear. I apologize for any misinformation you may have been told and anyone is welcome to come to me directly for more information if you so see fit.

"Is it the actions of a few that can affect the many"

I apologize on behalf of those members of your group that made it hard to rid any issues in your room. I hope you truly do not take your experience as a negative and let us help to make any other stay of yours as enjoyable as possible.

Been to Hostel Bear? Share your experiences!