“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Canmore
ayrshire
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a two bedroom jacuzzi suite for two days and it was great. After traveling all over Canada it was nice to relax in the jacuzzi.we did have some noise from the air con which was right outside our room but as there was only two of us we slept in the other bedroom and it was nice and quiet. I will Definately be back here with friends when I visit again already been talking about it.

Room Tip: Watch out for rooms ne'er the air con as can be very noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dawn B, Manager at Sunset Resorts Canmore, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful feedback on your stay. We are happy that you were able to relax and enjoy your time here.

We are having the air conditioner looked at an appreciate you letting us know about it.

Hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Windsor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have stayed at Sunset Resorts on two occasions, most recently in September 2012 for a week. We stayed through Interval as a time share week. As we were not staying as a hotel guest, our services were limited. We were to receive daily garbage collection and only one mid week service. During the daily garbage collection, not all garbage was collected. I had to remind them that there was other garbage in the bathrooms to be collected. We had to go ask for a kleenex box to be replenished. We were entitled to mid week maid service. I am really not sure what they did. They do not clean or exchange towels (we washed all towels ourselves); they do not change linen and we kept the resort in good condition so this was confusing. Then we found it appalling that an envelope was left to give a tip.

If you used any extra towels or linen, there was a sign that indicated you would be charged $25. If you left any marks on the towels (ie. make up) you would be charged $25. The towels we received were old and with ragged edges so I found this interesting.

The resort itself is older, weathered and adequately maintained. There was a stairwell with boxes around, and generally dirty. Inside the resort, there are almost no services. There is an old gym, a small room with a pool table and another room with couches and a flat screen tv which I am not sure why it is necessary when you have a full living area and tv's in your own suite. If you want to use the pool/ hot tub, you need to pay $25. I was shocked by this.

In the suites, there is much renovation needed. The towel rack in the bathroom was falling off; an outlet in the kitchen was loose and as far as I'm concerned...dangerous. The carpets were stained; the linen and towels old; sparse supplies in kitchen and furniture was scratched and old in some rooms. The mattresses in some rooms were squeaky and needed replacement. Some rooms had no drawers at all which we could not understand. The master bedroom had only one night stand with two small drawers for your clothes. The third bedroom does not have a window and was stuffy and hot even with the air on.

I do love Canmore and this hotel is ideally located. This is truly a positive! On the other side of the street, hotels have to contend with the train rails behind them. This is not the case on the side this hotel is on. It is a quick walk to the main downtown area and easy access to highway to enter the provincial park.

Our room faced the balconies of another resort and a parking lot. The other side does give a better view and you will see some of the mountains. Make sure and ask for that view if you decide to stay there. The suites are fairly spacious despite they need cleaning, dusting and more furniture and newer furniture.

This resort has given up and does not seem to cater to their clients much anymore. Our experience in 2010 was more positive.

Room Tip: Ask to face the side with the mountain view. The higher up the better. I think there are only 3 or 4...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dawn B, Manager at Sunset Resorts Canmore, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for writing about your experience as we use it as a tool to grow. We are sorry you have not had your expectations met, we appreciate the opportunity to learn from it and to connect personally with you.

Sunset Resorts does not have a pool on site however, we are fortunate to have negotiated with the adjacent property allowing our guests access to their facilities for an additional fee.

A resort representative will be in touch with you privately to answer the remainder of your question's.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We rented a 2 bedroom jacuzzi suite for two days. No real issues, the condo unit was clean, the king size bed was fine, both washrooms had no issues, the jacuzzi was great. It has a full kitchen and a TV area with a couch and an electric fireplace. I liked the underground parking, the elevators make it easy to get to your room. I would stay here again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again!
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We rented a condo on line with sunset resorts and did not know that you are not included in the service the rest of the hotel guests will be privy to. The condo was lovely but dusty ++ we were given a dish cloth but no tea towel. Our garbage was getting full after the first day and we waited 5 hours for a tea towel and to have someone collect the garbage after 2 calls to the front desk. No maid service at all. The front desk was surprised when they heard no maid service had been that day but still no body showed up. I gave feed back when we checked out and told by the gentleman at the desk that "sunset resorts asks us to stay away from the condo guests and that my concerns should be brought to sunset resorts". How do you contact sunset resorts they are untouchable. If I owned a condo and had this type of service to the guests that were renting it I would not be happy. Advice to people booking ask questions as there may be weird rules like this and in other reviews about charging to use the pool. Having said that Canmore is such a beautiful town and we will be back but not thur sunset resorts but thru the hotel directly as per advice given by concierge due to the money we spent on 2 nights.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dawn B, Manager at Sunset Resorts Canmore, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
We are truly sorry to read about your disappointment on Trip Advisor! We did contract out services as we are located in two separate buildings. Since this review we have taken control of our own units in each building to ensure that all standards are being met and to avoid confusion in the future. We do appreciate your feedback as it has helped us reach that next step in providing great customer service for our guests.

We will be contacting you personally to follow up about it.
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

This is not a posh resort but we were perfectly satisfied. We stayed the last two weeks in June through Interval International and enjoyed the area immensely. The unit was clean and certainly adequate. The staff was accommodating and the service was sufficient. We only had minor issues, such as the kitchen could have been better equipped and desperately needed a new coffee pot and frying pan. Also, the blinds in the master bedroom were broken. We would go back if the opportunity arose.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for visiting our hotel! We are very pleased that you experienced great service. We have corrected the minor details you mentioned and thank you for letting us know. We do hope you will return again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

The people who work the front desk are not understanding and have ZERO patience or tolerance for any questions what so ever. Whoever owns this place should enroll thier staff in some serious customer service courses as they are rude and inefficient. They can't even get your Internet password right. Here's the kicker, you have to pay $25 a day to use the pool for a family when it is right on resort property. Never again. Stay away as there are many other properties in this area that WANT your business.

• Stayed July 2012
Dawn B, Manager at Sunset Resorts Canmore, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write on Trip Advisor. We have taken steps to ensure a higher level of Customer service.

You will be contacted personally to discuss further details by a hotel representative.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I had this room for the Canada day long weekend. It was a gift from my parents, and at the given time, was the cheapest available.

When I checked in, I was told that I had to pay to use the pool facilities. In any hotel I've ever stayed in, I've never had to pay. Never. Period. The fact that I had to pay at a resort kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. We were told there was underground parking, but our card didn't work, so we had to go back and get the password to get in. The fellow at the front desk didn't care, he just fed me some bullcrap and sent me on my way.

Our room was like any other room, so I can't fault them. That weekend, I had a horrible cold and I'd ended up using the entire box of kleenex the first night. I'd set the empty box ontop of the bathroom counter so they'd be able to put a new one in when they came that afternoon. Well, we came back that night, and nothing in the room had been touched except for the garbage and the 'tip envelope' on a counter. It almost seemed as if they looked for a tip, found none, and left without doing anything else. The towels weren't replaced (they were ripped and stained to begin with) either.

Now, whenever I'm at a hotel, I tip on the last night based on the service. I'm not going to tip to get service, that's just ludicrous. The next day, I headed down to let the front desk clerk know about it. Once again, he didn't seem like he really cared. He phoned the head of housekeeping who informed us that the towels were done every second day. He once again fed us some bullcrap riddled with apathy and sent us on our way.

That night, we came back, the bed was done, fresh towels, everything that you'd expect. They left a note saying that 'first day/everyday service was for garbage, general tidying, and making the bed. Second day was for replacing sheets and towels'. So she says that the first day was for making the bed, yet they clearly didn't?

For the amount that was being paid to stay there, the service was ridiculous. Nothing was touched the first day except for the trash bin, the clerk didn't seem to care at all, services that would normally come with the room had to be paid for, it was ridiculous.

I'll say this, don't bother with Sunset Resorts unless you plan on staying for a timeshare for an extended period of time. Go somewhere else, don't waste your money here. It's not worth it.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dawn B, Manager at Sunset Resorts Canmore, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your honest feedback. While we are sorry to have received it, we appreciate the opportunity to learn from it and to connect personally with you.

Been to Sunset Resorts Canmore? Share your experiences!