“Great deal...Thats it” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 32 hotels in Canmore
Calgary
“Great deal...Thats it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I booked two nights at the Mountain View Inn through a Groupon offer. I read the reviews prior to booking a reservation for my boyfriend and I but did notice that new management had recently taken over and decided to give them a chance. First impression, It is an old two story motel with green carpet and a vending machine in the lobby, not the fanciest place. I knew I was getting a good deal so the décor wasn’t that big of an issue, the place was clean and the carpets seemed to just be washed. Our room was on the second floor in the corner, the room is huge with a street view and mountain view. The furniture is from the 80s but I had a working tv, fridge and microwave. Within 20 minutes of being there two gentlemen opened the door noticed me on the bed and closed the door. I was a little weirded out but let it go as they looked like maintenance men, we had issues with the rooms air conditioner and had to sweat through our first night’s stay until the next day when a new air conditioner could be installed. The staff did try to accommodate with a fan but honestly it was not enough we had a miserable time sleeping. The maintenance men spent the better half of our second night in and out of the room installing the new air conditioner. I could have lived with the décor and air conditioning issues and been content with our stay but the staff seem to have no concept for privacy and barge into a room without even knocking. The front desk employee walked into the room and noticed us in the room and said “oh you’re here, sorry, I came to get the fan back” at that point I was peeved that was the second time she had allowed herself into the room. How could you be shocked that your guests are in their rooms? I didn’t mind the interprets just the fact that they don’t knock before unlocking the door became a problem. We started dressing I the bathroom just in case.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I can't complain too much, as we paid $82 + tax for a room with 2 queen beds in mid-July, while many other hotels were charging $130+. We just needed a decent, inexpensive place to sleep in for one night on our way to Vancouver.

Some issues we had:
- cigarette burn in the bedspread
- cigarette burn by the windowsill
- toilet was clogged when we got there
- room window closing mechanism was broken and had to be pushed shut from the outside
- toilet is at the weirdest possible angle imaginable, and your right leg will touch the wall when you sit down.

If you are willing to overlook these types of issues and just need a cheap place to stay, then this place is fine. However, I found myself looking wistfully at other hotel signs around town showing that they had vacancy. If you are vacationing and want a nice place to relax in the Rockies, this isn't it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Duchess Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I decided that it was time for my family to go on a getaway weekend for a hike to Lake Louise, but felt it more practical to stay overnight Friday in Canmore or Banff in order to get an early start the next morning. I left it up to my wife to book the hotel, and mainly for price she chose the Mountain View Inn in Canmore. We wanted a simple, inexpensive, no-frills place to spend the night, especially with no pool so that we would not wear our kids out, and this Inn fit these criteria for the best price that she could find.

Access from Highway 1 heading west was easy, as it is located right along Bow Valley Trail on the west side of the highway. It is also not far from downtown, so we drove the short distance and used the Friday afternoon to browse.

That said, I have listed the only benefits of staying at this Inn: price and location. As one saying goes, “You get what you pay for”, and this place is no exception. The only amenities they have are ice, vending, and coffee machines next to the lobby, plus a pay phone and a well-lighted little nook where you can sit and get a somewhat decent view of the mountains to the west (through some power lines). In the room, you get cable TV, free wireless internet, a clothing iron and board, hair dryer, a couple bars of soap, and sample bottles of shampoo and conditioner. No fridge, no coffee maker, no microwave, no extra pillows to choose from, just the afore mentioned items.

Although we specifically chose a no-frills place to stay, I was still hoping for what little was there to be satisfactory. Specifically, the wireless internet is atrocious, so much so that I decided to eat up some of my smartphone data plan by using it as a “personal hotspot” for my laptop. I couldn’t even load something as simple as a weather webpage. Even sitting in the nook/lobby didn’t help and plugging in an Ethernet cable in the room was not an option. Also, the volume on the small TV decided to decrease at random, but I’m not sure whether that was due to the TV or the cable reception.

We’re a gadget family with a smartphone, tablet, and laptop that needed charging. As we searched the room, we found one outlet behind the TV unit and another behind one of the beds. However, three of the four plugs were used for the TV, lamp, and clock radio, leaving one plug to charge three gadgets. After inquiring unsuccessfully at the front desk about borrowing an extension cord with multiple outlets, our only option was to unplug the TV then pull the mattress back a little and unplug the lamp, allowing us to charge up all three for the next day after a certain degree of hassle.

Our room was decently clean, though not meticulous (like some grit and lint on the carpeting along the walls), and the beds were sufficiently comfortable. However, if you don’t like the one choice of pillow, too bad; unlike an increasing number of other motels, you only have one option at this place. At least the room didn’t smell bad.

The bottom line is that this Inn is good for an overnight stay and being close to shopping and dining and nothing more. I would have rated it more fairly on this basis alone, being a place for people who want an inexpensive place to stay, but it did not deliver even on what little it had. It is certainly not designed for folks living in the digital age, or even those wanting to simply plug in the clothes iron. I personally would have paid an extra $50 per night even if it only meant a full continental breakfast and better internet. As another saying goes, “Better luck next time”.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have a view of the mountains, but rooms on the east side are quieter since th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
bc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Okay, this is not your top rate hotel but it is coming along. You don't get 5 star accommodation for 2-3 star priced rooms during peak tourist season. We got stuck in the floods for 4 nights; there was a state of emergency in town. This motel/hotel, without our asking, cut the rate for 3rd & 4th nights in half. Fair to be sure. Yes, the sheets didn't fit well, but the room was spacious, the bathroom clean, the staff were helpful given the circumstances. And it was priced for an average motel. Would we stay again ... Yes - it's fine for an overnight stay for those of us who have realistic expectations given our budget!

• Stayed June 2013
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here for 2 nights with a groupon deal we bought (2 nights for $89). For what we wanted, which was basically a place to store our things and to sleep, this place was fine.

If you are wanting to stay at a place with outstanding customer service and lots of frills and little extras then this place isn't for you - this is a cheap, no frills accommodation ideally situated within walking distance of restaurants and stumbling distance of the bars.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Clean room, 2 queen beds, coffee, tea & hot water available in the lobby 24/7. Clean sheets, blanket & bed spread. Fresh clean towels are available for exchange. Daily housekeeping available at an additional small cost but not necessary for us during our 3 day stay. Located conveniently close to a range of restaurants, the town centre, a recreation centre and shopping. Quiet location with quick access to the highway and main roads. Excellent value for Canmore. We would return here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was a bit worried about staying at Mountain View Inn after reading some of the negative reviews. But I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. My room was very clean and the price was excellent. The room was simple and nothing fancy, but, as I said, very clean. I would definitely stay at Mountain View Inn again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mountain View Inn? Share your experiences!