“Would definitely stay again” 4 of 5 stars

Mountain View Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Kananaskis Way, Canmore, Alberta T1W 2X2, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Canmore
Edmonton, Canada
“Would definitely stay again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I was a bit worried about staying at Mountain View Inn after reading some of the negative reviews. But I decided to give it a try and I'm glad I did. My room was very clean and the price was excellent. The room was simple and nothing fancy, but, as I said, very clean. I would definitely stay at Mountain View Inn again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Canmore, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My advice... pack a tent or sleep outside on the ground before you stay here. I have stayed in some dumps over my years of travel but this one wins the highest award.
I would give credit to the staff who try and they really do and I offer my praise to them. It is hard to make a silk purse from a sows ear.
I have been in the hotel and hospitality industry and understand there are things that get neglected but this is a total and complete outright and blatant excuse for neglect. The room appears clean at first until you start looking at the bathroom and carpet. Food crumbs, gravel and here beside me on the table something black and sticky. Dust balls in all the corners and under tables.
The lighting in the room is horrible, small 1970 televisions with only two electrical outlets which are overloaded already. The free wifi is very slow and keeps kicking you off. Certainly glad I have my own USB Internet stick.
The beds are disgusting, several people have mentioned a short bottom sheet. Well, they are right. The bottom one does not cover the last foot of the bed exposing you to the several previous guests. It is horrid. The beds are hard and the pillows thin and just as hard.
In closing I suspect the attitude of the owners is the people that come, will be here once and if the owners are lucky they may stay two nights only, never to be back. Tomorrow means a new batch of unsuspecting people so it is ok to offer sub standard conditions.
My advice for you fellow travellers is read the reviews before you book and too you Groupon shame on you for offering such a place to the public. Please look into what you are calling a wonderful experience. Your service will never be used again.

Room Tip: Filthy and a very poor experience.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in some bare bones rooms before and I have stayed in the most luxurious rooms before. I am pretty easy to please and don't set my expectations too high when the rooms are meant to be affordable. HOWEVER hygiene and cleanliness are important to me. I was really disgusted to discover that the bed sheets did not cover the lower quarter of the bed. Bed sheets can be washed, but mattresses? Not so much. The thought that thousands of guests before me had left their dead skin cells which had been shed off of their feet are now touching my feet was more than I could handle. I requested that house keeping put a larger or better fitting sheet on the bed for my next night, and if that wasn't possible then to please use two sheets to cover the entire bed. This request was ignored and I slept with socks on that night. The socks then went into the garbage as soon as I woke the next morning. I am not a tall person. 5 feet tall. I finally read some reviews online and was shocked to discover that I was not the only one who had complained about this. Why couldn't the just buy queen sized sheets to fit their queen bed? How are they still allowed to operate? This is seriously gross! I could handle the tv not working and I could handle there not being a fridge or coffee maker in the room, but no bed sheets protecting me from the thousands of previous guests biologically? Never again!!

• Stayed April 2013
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Very basic accomodations, no coffee maker in the room , no fridge, just hair drier and iron. If you stay 2 nights no maid service unless you pay extra. Rooms are very basic with no pictures, 20 inch tube type TV and a phone.
Cleanlyness was ok and there was coffee in the lobby. Rooms were a good size and they did supply shampoo and some glasses. If your on a budget its the place to stay. walking distance to A&W.

Room Tip: Choose side facing the back.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Over all, this is a very economical place to stay, if you are travelling on a tight budget, definitely a place to keep in mind. However, I feel they should tell you on their website, that they do NOT offer daily housekeeping service, nor coffee in room. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms are very plain, but neat and clean. We stayed for 3 nights, garbage were not emptied, beds not made up, bathrooms not cleaned, no towel exchange. When we inquired at the front desk, we were told this is how they keep their costs down. I do understand this concept, however, I feel they should make people aware of this at the time of booking so you can make an informed decision as to your hotel/room choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. There is only front desk service during the day and no amenities such as pool or restaurant. But the room was clean, the beds were fine and the location was good. If you're just going to be sleeping here, it's a very budget friendly choice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We ended up here through a GroupOn this weekend. After reading the reviews we approached the deal with some trepidation.

First off you have to keep things in perspective. You are paying $65 for a hotel room in Canmore. Not $200. If you need a chocolate on your pillow every night and your bed made, this is not the place for you.

Contrary to the many negative reviews here, we found our room to be relatively clean, the beds were ok, but certainly not top grade. The pillows need to go. The bathroom was clean & the water hot.

The biggest problem with this place is ownership. Apparently it is still owned by East Indians, but is managed by a Canmore company on a lease basis. It's a strange business relationship where no incentive for improvement exists for either party.

When a hotelier can't provide one pen or one drinking glass, but feels the need to provide an iron and ironing board, ownership clearly doesn't understand the hotel business.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mountain View Inn? Share your experiences!