“Not even worth the groupon price!” 1 of 5 stars

Mountain View Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Kananaskis Way, Canmore, Alberta T1W 2X2, Canada   |
Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in Canmore
Calgary Ab, Playa del Carmen MX
“Not even worth the groupon price!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was the WORST groupon experience I have every had, such a disappointment! The Hotel was TERRIBLE,

1.When I first called to book they told me I had to book by Dec first which was not listed anywhere on my groupon

2. When we arrived we had to pay 100.00 deposit for a key per room ( I now have a 200.00 hold on my card for 3 days)

3. The bathrooms were dirty!

4. No one came to clean or do anything in our room there were additional charges for cleaning making beds, vacuuming even taking out the garbage.When I asked about it apparently the lady who checked us in was suppose to have told us this. How about they tell you this BEFORE you book!

5.We couldn't get fresh towels unless we took our soiled towels to the front desk to exchange them
6. No coffee machines in room Lobby coffee machine was always empty and we were told they only make coffee at 7 am.

7. They state you get free wifi but if your lucky it only worked lobby area sometimes

8. Beds are hard as a rock!

I am sorry but this has made me very nervous of buying another groupon

This is what I also wrote to the groupon company today we just checked out this morning what a disapointment

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Well where to begin..A Total Disappointment. I just stayed their with my child this past Sat/Sun night on a Groupon Deal and we almost left after first night. We arrive to be told it's a $100 deposit per room key, overall hotel is in very poor condition. Room had no pictures on walls (maybe afraid someone would steal them? lol) stains on wall, chairs, carpet. Beds were hard as rock. If you wanted a fridge it was an extra $15 per night. No Coffee or anything in room that every other hotel I have stayed at had complimentary (low budget or highend). Lobby coffee machine was always empty and we were told they only make coffee at 7 am. Wifi if your lucky is only in lobby area. TV is a 20 inch 90's big boxstyle. No restaurant, gym, no amenities etc...
The Sat night other guests across hall were yelling slamming doors most of night, onsite security in building did nothing. Another guest had to ask them to be quiet finally.
If this wasn't a prepaid Groupon Voucher I would of left after first night. With the $21.60 in tax due upon arrival and the voucher cost it wasn't a deal at all for the accommodations you got.
I suggest anyone with a Groupon deal here that has used it and feels the same disgust I do, Call Groupon and complain. They will help and did redeem my confidence in using them again to purchase travel deals. Report this hotel so they do not keep offering this deal online to buy. This hotel needs to be shut down for complete renovations and needs new management to really put the guests needs first. This is my first Poor hotel experience finding deals online.
I have read many other complaints now for this hotel on here and wish I saw them before my trip!
Hope my review saves someone else this awful experience or buying this "not a deal" online!
Cheers

Room Tip: I was actually "upgraded" to the mountainview side when I booked the reservation. I laugh...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The Mountain View Inn is a very simple place to stay, and I mean that literally. Looks to me like it was built in the 1980s or so and the building is still of that era. Very little modernization or updating to be seen. Things have a tired and somewhat worn look but that said, the place is clean. Don't expect many amenities. WiFi? Wired internet? Certainly not in your room. There is free wifi in the lobby but even this basic modern travel convenience is not available to from the comfort of your room. Rooms also were old looking, with bulky fuzzy CRT television (no flat screens here). No breakfast, no making up of your room every day. But a clean with a reasonably comfortable bed. If that's what you want, then this place is for you. There are far better accommodations available around there area so I'll not be back.

Room Tip: If you want a really good room stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was passing through Canmore again and looking for a good deal - the Mtn View Inn was pretty hard to pass up with rates so much lower than the others in town. I was a little wary even though I'd been here before but everything was fine. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the people at reception were helpful, the TV was new, and the wifi worked just fine in my room. In general, it was a great value.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
St. Albert, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had to cancel just hours past the "deadline" due to legitimate bereavement issues. They were cold, unsympathetic and just to add insult to or suffering dinged us $63.00 to NOT stay at their dump in the mountains!!!!! If they are like this for the big issues how good will they be if you have a small complaint about towels or noise or room cleanliness?

Profoundly disappointed,
Bruce Mohacsy

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ephrata, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The rates are good, beats paying Banff hotel prices, but: Don't stay here if it's hot out! The A/C does not work. Fan clatters and there is no way to shut it off. It's an older hotel. Because i heard another room air conditioner sounding crazy like ours. We managed ok, but if it would have been any hotter, it would have been a lousy, sweaty stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Everything is average. A bit run down with the most basic of neccesities. No hair dryer. The front office staff at the time of check-in was not the most friendliest of people but did at least offer some directions to the restaurant we chose. The bed was hard as a rock. As always, you get what you pay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mountain View Inn? Share your experiences!