“This is the place for 2 bedroom suites” 5 of 5 stars

Windtower Lodge & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   160 Kananaskis Way, Canmore, Alberta T1W 3E2, Canada   |
Ranked #19 of 33 hotels in Canmore
Edmonton, Canada
“This is the place for 2 bedroom suites”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We have stayed at other places in the Bow Valley, AB and found many of them that claim to be "2 bedroom suites" are ridiculously small; however this place was perfect for our family of 5. We had a king bed in 1 room, 2 twins on the adjoining and a pull out couch in the living room next to the fireplace. The space was probably about 1600-1800 square feet, so a great size for the price we paid. We will definitely be back on our next ski trip.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Edmonton, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

The room was so dusty that my company sneezed most of the night. And although it is impossible to be conclusive, I became ill with flu-like symptoms later the next day as well, and I virtually never get sick.

The towels were in such an odd state that both of us spent an inordinate amount of time trying to pull the fibres from our face and body; for example, my face sported a white Santa Clause-like beard, and we never really felt like the webbing was removed.

In fact ‘all suites’ do not feature a fully-equipped kitchen, dining area, fireplace, sofa-bed, washer/dryer, and balcony the amenities as quoted on their website, which really is pushing the envelope towards false advertising.

I found that many areas were unclean. For example, both in the room and in the breakfast area (generally the only areas of the facility we visited), the dishes and utensils were not properly washed. I found this particularly unfavourable as we looked through many cups, glasses, plates, and silverware before we found items that were sufficiently free from debris.

The suite was extremely small, with most of the space wasted.

Then there’s the parking charge, which has been noted on other reviews

Finally, after more careful review of my bill from the stay, I see a 15% charge for a restaurant gratuity. I have not seen this charge before, and I am not fond of seeing it here. I appreciate the effort of the Windtower staff during this busy time of the day, but I resent any type of charge for something that is marketed as ‘included’. In such a market as the resort business, is it really that advantageous to nickel and dime the guests? I suggest that this fee is either disclosed to the guest in advance, or that the fee is not charged at all.

In conclusion, I understand that the Windtower may not be a full-fledged lodge/hotel, and is an arrangement for absentee investors and condo owners to obtain cash flow/recovery from a capital investment in the mountains, but I would expect better from a property that is billing itself as a seat of luxury in the beautiful mountain town of Canmore.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

Bathroom was quite small and dated. There was a washer and dryer but used clothing was left in both. No air conditioning was not an concern, but it was a cold night. There was no fan in our room. There was no restaurant and the free breakfast was poor. Street parking.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

we booked the hotel off of their website - when we got there they told us there was an additional charge for parking - this is not on their website, and we are in a small town parking is included in every hotel I have ever stayed at in Canmore. Street parking is available but not convienent and a lot of cars out there. Then when we were checking out another charge was added for their "going green initiative" - again not on their website nor were we told about it when we checked in. Small charges but annoying - put it on your website or include in price so I can decide if I want to stay there before I get there. For the price the room was very small - I think it is attached to a suite and gets closed off and rented separately. Just wasn't worth it - there are better hotels in Canmore.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Beware of Windtower as their contracted security company has staff who think that they're in charge of the entire complex and surrounding areas.

In addition to harassing guests, the High Mountain Protection Services staff now threaten to issue fines for anything which might offend them -- including having their staff leave the comfort of their idling vehicle in the parking lot to discuss these possible fines with customers.

Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

We stayed 3 nights at the Windtower in December. Warm welcome on arrival and all of the staff were happy to give touring advice. We stayed in a suite with a King Size bed in one room and a sofa bed in the combined lounge/dining room. Yes the bedroom was small, but I think thats because they use King Size beds. Underground parking was ideal especially given the snow and cold weather during our stay. Breakfast was cooked to order and the bar lounge is also open in the evenings for a drink and snacks after a day out and about.

Yes it may not have all the glitz of some of the resort hotels in Canmore and Banff, but It delivered on providing a comfortable and clean place to stay whilst exploring the Rockies and an ideal spot for touring Canmore and Banff. Highly recommend Grizzly Paws Brewing and the Iron Goat pub in Canmore.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Spruce Grove, Ab
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

We checked in today December 28 at 4:30pm, we were greeted by a very warm, welcoming and friendly young lady at the front desk.
We were given our key cards and room number, then wished a pleasant stay.
I was more than a little apprehensive about going to our room because of some of the reviews I have recently read.
To my surprise our room was very spacious, clean and bright, with a nice balcony and full kitchen.
As we have only been here for one night, so far my wife, daughter and myself are very pleased with our room and service.
I will update as our stay progresses

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Windtower Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!