“Our biggest disappointment yet” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 38 Activities in Canmore
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Canadian Rockies Rafting and Adventure Centre - Your one stop for year round mountain adventure in the Canadian Rockies! We offer many activities for individuals and large groups. please check out our website for more details!
Toronto, Canada
142 attraction reviews
“Our biggest disappointment yet”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I had my choice of 2 trips a short family cat 2 or a longer cat 3/4.
I booked the longer one.
We were told when we arrived that the water was lower right now.
The problems with this tour:
I'll be generous and say we were 1hr on the water. Totally misinformed.
No wow factor. The instructor made a big fuss but this is more of a lazy river ride.
There is no way this is even a 3.
I went white water raftjng on a 3 in BC my kids loved it. 4hr trip.$10 more.
We couldn't believe it was ending because we planned our day around this.
This felt like a rip off. Exagerated length and exagerated rapids.
3 little 10 second rapids that's it. 20-30 min jumping off a cliff.
I took my family on a family white rafting trip in Ottawa when my kids were little and it was 6hrs of fun with a BBQ lunch $125 each.
I do not recommend this unless you have really small kids and something else booked for the afternoon.

Visited July 2014
CanandianRockiesRaft, Manager at Canadian Rockies Rafting and Adventures, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Hi wasntme58,

We're very sorry about your disappointment in the rafting trip. When you went rafting with us the water levels had dropped significantly (disappointing for us too!) on the Bow River (usually a class 4) so it would seem more like a class 3. Unfortunately this is out of our control. Both trip durations are half day tours running between 3.5 and 4 hours with 2 hours or under on the river. This of course is depending on group factors (size, tardiness, special needs). When the water level is high, the experience is way better!

cochrane
5 attraction reviews
“dip your paddle into the High Wood River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

A river runs through this area south of Calgary!
The drive to the camp was sheer joy, through beautiful rolling hills , mountains and lovely vistas!
The rafts were ready , my nerves a little unsteady,but after a thorough safety talk and the expert maneuvering of our raft guide , the rafting of the very first rapid went smoothly .
We worked our paddles , had fun, got splashed ,rode the rapids and fear was a distant memory.
Sure , if you look for adrenalin surge class 4 rapids , this is not the place , but for average wild water adventure seekers like me , plenty of fun, good company , good people!
Yes, I would like to dip my paddle again next year !
The drive home was not shabby either , through Highwood Pass in Kananaskis Country,with more beautiful views and plenty of future side trip possibilities!
The day was one of my best days of stay- cation in Alberta!

Visited June 2014
Calgary, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Rafting was okay, but waiting hours for tardy arrivals unacceptable!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This trip down the Kanananskis River is a class 2 and really only for beginners or families. We have previously been rafting the kicking horse and many more aggressive overseas locations. No complaints about the rafting trip, guides were knowledgeable and safety minded and we were aware it was a class 2/3. Scenery was nice.

The problem was that we were told to be at Stoney Nakoda at a certain time, we arrived and spent 1 hour waiting and then found other individuals turning up at their leisure. We waited for 1.5 hours for 2 couples who were late. The last couple strolled in with coffee in hand, then took another 20 minutes to use the washrooms and get organised while a huge group waited for them. I say - "Don't wait for the inconsiderate stragglers in future". Their behaviour held everyone else up and then resulted in us all being 30-50 minutes later at the finishing line - and disrupting any further plans for that late afternoon.

Those people should have been left behind and re-organised another trip. Perhaps it would have taught them to consider others in future.

Visited September 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Great fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Went with husband and daughter and had a great morning ! Ideal way to experience white water rafting for the first time ! My daughter hates water normally and came reluctantly !but the guide was such good fun by the end off trip she had jumped of cliff into water twice and could not wait to go rafting again ! Was a great experience with great staff

Visited August 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Horseshoe Canyon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We booked the above rafting excursion and I have to say it was one of the worst rafting experiences we have had. We've rafted in New Zealand, Colorado and on the Red Deer River and I have never taken a more poorly conceived trip. The mosquitos were horrible and the company did nothing to provide repellent. Our raft guide chose to rescue dropped paddles at the expense of our chance to do the cliff jump so while the occupants of the other two rafts got to jump we waiting in the shallows for half and hour getting eaten alive by mosquitos. At the end of the trip you have to haul your raft up a significant hill. Really? We were a fit group and this wasn't a problem, but for anyone with physical limitations or excess weight, it could have been a very risky finale.

Visited July 2013
Hi Nikki V,

Terribly sorry about your experience. If you're saying that you didn't get a chance to do the cliff jumping because your guide didn't allow it, then we're happy to provide you a complimentary trip on your next return to the Canadian Rockies.

The mosquitos can be super annoying. Unfortunately it's up to the individual to bring repellant, sunscreen and other personal care products. Carrying the light weight raft up the hill is part of the team experience, however customers do not have to participate and we would never ask someone with health issues to participate.