“Uneven Experience” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Uneven Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

When we booked this condo we were expecting to find a different sort of place. The rooms were nice and well appointed, the beds comfortable (please give us a sheet and maybe a blanket instead of just a thick comforter!), but the building design felt more like a hotel than a condo. (We were also surprised to find that this part of town is condo-land with many, many condos in the area.) The spa facilities seem very nice, the gym had some great equipment and a pleasant layout. The parking situation was somewhat awkward but better than the 'maybe this time it will work' elevator situation. We had to contend with some noise from the hallway and the room above ours -- loud closet doors, furniture rearranging and noise from their open balcony. We enjoyed a beautiful mountain view but uncomfortable seating on the cramped balcony. The furniture in the living room area wasn't very comfortable and made for awkward television viewing. Aside from stained carpeting by the elevator/hallway, the room was clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-Francois B, Regional Director at Solara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Good day PJ P,

Thank you for your last review with Solara. Certainly that the style and range of accommodations in Canmore are all mainly based on condo type, especially for the size and luxury of the amenities.

From your comments, I am happy to let you know that our bi-annual full cleaning of the carpets was done since then and they look immaculate. I hope you'll have a chance to see it also by yourself soon. I am sorry to see that some of yours neighbors were loud as we are not known for being a loud type of clientele. But obviously there are many type of guest. I hope however we'll have the chance to see you back soon at Solara. Please let us know at the time as a repeat guest.

Sincere Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our stay at the Solara was so wonderful, we are already planning to do this again next year. We were two couples sharing a two bedroom condo and it was excellent. We were able to bring snacks and food to make our own breakfast and the kitchen had all we needed. Us ladies spent a good portion of a day at the spa and were treated extremely well there. Frederique at the front desk was excellent and helped us not only to find the restaurant we wanted to go to but she made a reservation and called a cab for us as well. Everything was very clean and set out nicely in the condo. We were very pleased with the value of the condo and the spa had mid-week prices that even though were went on the Monday of a long weekend made it quite affordable for the lovely treatment we received. The next time we're in Canmore, we will check for this property first.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-Francois B, Regional Director at Solara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Good day MollysMum661,

Such great to read your comments on having a great long week-end at Solara. I will make sure to pass on your comments to the One Wellness & Spa team since you kept such a royal souvenir from their treatments.

As for the hotel services, I will also ensure to let know all front desk team and most especially Frederique for the appreciation of their services. Frederique is actually with us since a very short period of time and has shown such great skills and professionalism with the guest.

I thank you for your visit and look forward that you come back visit us and please let us know ahead as a valued repeat guest.

Pembroke, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed at the Solara for 2 nights in September. We have stayed in many types of condos, B&Bs, vacation rentals & hotels over the years and were disappointed with our stay here. The room itself was beautiful, however, we had to keep our windows closed and could not use the balcony as we were located beside a large exhaust system of some type which was noisy and smelly. Our room was missing a few of the items it was supposed to have so we had to call to have them brought to us and to ensure that we weren't charged for them upon checkout. We tried to call the front desk several times and were unable to get through which was frustrating. The location is good and the one bedroom suite was beautiful but when you're paying top dollar, the expectations are higher for the full experience to be 5 star.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room away from the noise & smell of the ventilation system. Check the rooms...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-Francois B, Regional Director at Solara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Good day Ontariosunseeker1,

Especially coming from a far distance as Ontario, it certainly is very disappointing to read that you were not satisfied as you deserved, regardless of the price. I appreciate you loved the quality and luxury of the units, but truly apologize for the inconvenience you had. Basically, the disappointments you expressed can be put on two elements:

First the noise of the surrounding ventilation fan: We are already taking the necessary steps to ensure we can correct all the recent additional noise that the building ventilation system has been producing. The site is still made of 3 large buildings and necessity some complete systems, but certainly that it should not affect your stay as it did. We heard well your constructive comments and will ensure to correct it as much as possible. I thank you for this.

Secondly the calls at reception: Large occupancy means occasional large number of simultaneous calls. However, it definitely is unacceptable that we could not take your calls repeatedly. I assure you that this is not at all our usual efficiency and will ensure to put a strong focus with our team on-site.

Especially as a frequent guest of various types of accommodation, we would love to have you experience once again our property at its deserved level. From spring time (exact date to be confirmed), we’ll have a full complete new restaurant and bar at Solara which aim to be the warmest, most beautiful and most welcoming in Canmore. Please let us know if you consider visiting again the area as this would be a perfect time for us to impress you at your deserved level. I would be delighted to assist and welcome you as a valued repeat guest.

Thank you again for your constructive comments.

George Town, Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Seven of us stayed at Solara in the penthouse unit over Thanksgiving long weekend. It was a perfect fit for all of us, and we will likely be returning again.
The Penthouse was huge! I was shocked at how large it actually was. The master and ensuite (more like spa) was perfect for my husband, 1 year old and myself. We were able to set up the baby's crib in the walk in closet, and not have to worry about disturbing her while we were in the room. We loved the huge bathroom and especially the spa like shower and bath. Our other family members stayed in the other two rooms down the hall (which was located on the other side of the living area). They too had huge rooms and beautiful bathrooms. We loved how every room had it's own fireplace and seating area.
The kitchen had wonderful appliances, and was properly stocked. It was a bit challenging to serve a turkey dinner, as there were not a lot of serving dishes, but that is to be expected at a rental I suppose. The only disappointment in the kitchen was that there wasn't any hand soap to use at the sink.
As a whole, the condo was wonderful and I don't think we could have found anywhere as large, or as nice that would fit seven people with ample room. The location was great, and the building looked beautiful from the outside. I was not overly impressed with the hot tub/hot pools. I was hoping they would be larger, and that there would be at least one outside, as I know many other properties nearby do have outdoor hot tubs. I think that was the only real downside to this property.
Our family members did find it a little noisy at night, from the hallway and because our room was above a massive outdoor fan that was very loud. we travel with a small fan, that blocks out noise so we didn't notice this, but I have read from other reviews that the loud fan is a concern.
All in all it was a great trip, and we hope to make the Solara a regular yearly trip!

Room Tip: The Penthouse is huge and great for groups of 6 or more!
Good day jujiles94,

Thank you for your review, it certainly is well appreciated. We do have large and luxurious units that our guest are certainly very pleased with. I am happy that housekeeping has brought you anything that could have been missing; even if we do ensure at repeated time that any small items such as cutlery are being replaced and brought in sufficient quantity for the number of sleepers in the place.

We will pass on your excellent comments to the rest of the team and I look forward to see you back at Solara.

Okotoks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had a great weekend at Solara on Thanksgiving weekend. Accommodations worked very well for us as we brought along our small dogs. We had the 2 bedroom suite and the kitchen was well equipped with everything we needed. We found the room spacious and met our expectations. There were a few items missing as there were 5 in our party, but housekeeping promptly brought the items we needed. Staff was excellent, and we will definitely stay at Solara again.

Good day Freedomlover18,

Thank you for such a great review and appreciation on our property. Definitely that the penthouse you have is indeed a very large unit. Since we have from 1 to 3 bedrooms units, all of them are actually very large, ... but not to the extent of this one. I can easily imagine that this was a perfect set-up to have a great dinner and time with friends / family over the long week-end.

As for the fan, you are right that we are certainly working on this as it is an element not representing the comfort we have in all units. Certainly that only a few units are more affected by the noise, and really in warm days, but indeed we are having corrected.

I thank you again for your great comments and I look forward to welcome you once again at Solara.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at the Solara resort and spa on two occasions during late September early October. On the first occasion we were allocated a premium two bed suite as the suite we were first shown only had two queen beds and I had my son and daughter with me. They upgraded us so that we could have one king bed and two single beds in the second bedroom.

The condo itself was big and well set out. The only thing that let it down was the standard of the housekeeping. I had to wash everything in the kitchen area - I sanitized the work surfaces and the cupboards - put all the cups, plates, dishes, cutlery etc in the dishwasher upon arrival. I also cleaned the bathrooms.

The corridor carpets had not been cleaned in years. They were filthy to say the least and during my stay a piece of paper was not removed/cleaned up for 6 days (not sure if it is still there now)!

On several occasions I had to contact the front desk as the condo had not been cleaned (well I say cleaned all they did was change the towels and put out more dishwasher tablets etc). Even then this task was on certain days not undertaken upon our return late in the day. We would return to find dirty towels in the baths.

The condos were supposed to have a full clean every 4 days (again this was not undertaken) and I had to complain during both visits to the Solara. The front desk staff were excellent and got two chaps up to clean while we went out on the first occasion - I gave up the second time and cleaned it myself.

I decided to stay the second time we was in Canmore at the Solara only because of the size of the condo (I knew the housekeeping was terrible so I purchased my own cleaning products).

I believe the Solara should either replace or deep clean all carpets in the corridors and in the condos (the floor in the kitchen area also needed cleaning as it was a bit sticky) probably not seen water and detergent for a few months.

Also, they should provide daily cleaning of condos including making beds, removing trash, cleaning the bathrooms and kitchen area. I did notice that there were not many housekeeping staff at the solara perhaps that is why standards were so low. Although on the second occasion we stayed at the solara I understand that they were only 20% occupied.

If this was the case then the housekeeping should have been first class.

Again I must stress that the front desk staff were very helpful and I felt sorry for them having to deal with guests complaints with regards to housekeeping standards.

I hope my comments will help the solara resort to improve which I believe it must or guests will stop booking. I did visit two other resorts in canmore during my stay Falcon Crest (which had smaller condos) and Stoneridge mountain (which unfortunately could not offer me a top floor condo for the dates I wished to stay. Take note they both offered daily housekeeping.

Faye, Andrea and Shannon etc on the front desk are very efficient perhaps the housekeeping staff should be trained to the same standards.

Although it may help if there was a housekeeping manager who actually took time to go round all the condos to check that they are cleaned to a high standard which I believe occurs in most hotels. Also in most hotels they clean the corridors on a regular basis and deep clean the carpets.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor
Good day K w,

Truly painful as a hotelier to read your honest and very respectful comments, but I thank you for voicing them. These simply helped us to accelerate any changes already in motion since the summer. Unfortunately, we could not complete these in time for your stay for my sincere disappointment. Let me detail more on your examples and most especially on what has been put in place since:

The hallways: All hallways have been completely steam cleaned since then and are now seasonally scheduled the same way. The standards and time of execution are well in place and fully successful since then. I would actually love that you see it by yourself as a fresh and valid witness of the difference!

If you experienced some lack of daily service, this is first unacceptable and not at all our usual performance yearly. Without going in the reasons why we have been at some period this end of summer short of staff, we have since then taken agreements with solid sources of employees in order to always proactively have sufficient staff at peak period. We have unfortunately sometime failed to match our drastic growth of occupancy with the according need of recruitment at the end of the summer and from your comments, I can only come to the conclusion that you have been victim of this. However, our usual level of housekeeping upon arrival has always been of very high level, so I am certainly very disappointed to read how it was upon arrival. Frankly units are never given like this so I would think of a mistake on our understanding of the unit being ready and clean. Regardless, that is still unacceptable; I sincerely apologize for this and would insist that you can reach me please in order to easily welcome you back. I understand you are from Manchester UK, therefore not likely to come frequently, but if this is possible to you, please let me know directly. You may easily reach me by calling or e-mailing Solara. We will have completed all our magnificent restaurant and bar around spring time, which should just happen to be after the Red Devil season time… perfect timing to visit us.

In the meantime, I trust that you still appreciated the luxury of the units and truly hope to have the chance to hear from you at your earliest convenience. If you do accept to come back, you will by yourself realize the present constant service we have achieved on these points.

Red Deer, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had a beautiful room. We had a 2 bedroom suite which was very roomy equipped with everything from a kitchen to a washer & dryer. The king beds were very comfy. I really have not one bad thing to say about my stay here. The staff was great and the things to do here were awesome. They have a theatre, pools,a spa, or you can select a movie from the front desk. Great place I would for sure come back again! :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jean-Francois B, Regional Director at Solara Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Good day Boec944,

Thank you very much for your kind comments; we will be indeed honored to welcome you back. I trust that traveling from Red Deer, it was a nice feeling of home, a memorable quick escapade.

Thank you again and please let us know on your next visit as a valued repeat guest.

Sincere Regards

Been to Solara Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!