“Four nights in loft room” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Resort Chateau Canmore

Save Saved
You added Quality Resort Chateau Canmore to your Saves list
Quality Resort Chateau Canmore
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1720 Bow Valley Trail, Canmore, Alberta T1W 2X3, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #24 of 33 hotels in Canmore
Edmonton, Canada
“Four nights in loft room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Writing this review is a little different for me than the reviews I usually write. My husband was in Canmore for business and I got to tag along with him. Because of this, we did not choose the hotel and it was paid for by someone else (so I do not know the rate).

We arrived from Edmonton at about 9pm. The lobby looked cozy and pretty nice. Check in went smoothly. The elevator was fairly slow. Upon first glance our room was nice, with a kitchen/dining area and living room (with gas fireplace) on the main floor, and then a huge king size bed in the loft area. There was also a bathtub, which I always appreciate. As we settled in a bit we realized just how unclean the room actually was. Who knows when the last time the room was vacuumed was. There was a dead fly on the stairs and a lighter under a chair in the living room. There were stains on the carpet by the door and some water marks and other marks on the dining table, coffee table and kitchen counter. We settled into bed for the night and were rudely awoken about seven times by the train, as the tracks are just beside the hotel parking lot. When I looked out the window the next morning, yup, there they were. It would have been nice to have been notified of this as I am an extremely light sleeper and had an awful sleep. We went to the grocery store the next day to buy our own ear plugs. I think it would be a nice gesture if they just provided them at the hotel free of charge as they obviously know the tracks are there.

As part of the group we were staying with, we had meals provided to us by the hotel. Unfortunately, most of them were almost unedible to me. Note, this was not in the restaurant, but a buffet provided for our specific group. I'm not one to turn down free food, but we did go out and buy meals elsewhere a few times.

We interacted with a few staff members, at the dining area and at the front desk. Some seemed miserable and some were nice. My husband got in the elevator once and there were two staff inside cleaning it. Rather than wait until he left the elevator, they started fogging it with aerosol spray. Not only does that seem unprofessional, but it was burning his eyes as well.

I feel conflicted about this hotel. The room was large and had potential (fireplace, etc.), but the decor is old and rundown and the room wasn't clean. Lobby was much nicer. The location is fine, but it's where all of the other hotels in Canmore are so nothing about that really stands out. There is some parking available but it can get tight in the winter when people aren't parking inside the lines.

I wouldn't not stay here again if there were a good rate, but I would certainly look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: AVOID rooms on the South West side of the hotel. TRAIN TRACKS!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

132 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Chateau Canmore looks like a decent place to stay from the outside and even from the lobby. But once you make your way around the building, restaurant and rooms, you will find the hotel is absolutely awful. The rooms are outdated and still appear from the 90's. Sometimes small details make a huge difference, and with this hotel that is true. Dust in every corner of the room, dirty glassware, old TV's, you can guarantee your carpet has stains somewhere, and the amenities old and very unclean. You can easily find out these thing for yourself if you stay at the Chateau.

The overall service of the hotel is very weak. The front desk staff have very little knowledge of how the hotel operates and seem to do the bare minimum. If you get the right staff member, you may get great service. I suggest avoiding the General Manager at all costs. She is a very unprofessional, degrading, unhelpful and unpresentable person who will break the main rule in customer service of "the customer is always right", to the GM, she is the one who is right. The manager has no idea how to run a hotel, let alone manage her own personal duties at the hotel. Absolute garbage if you ask me.

*If you decide to use the pool, hot tub or fitness centre, be sure to wear flip flops, gloves and maybe even a hand sanitizer shower afterwards. The pool is about the size of a child's blow up pool and the change rooms are filthy. This property has had the Health and Safety board called numerous times, which is a fact.

This all may seem harsh, but if you listen to one review, please may it be this one. When you want to spend your time in such a beautiful place, you don't want it ruined by the disaster that is the Chateau Canmore. This over priced, outdated, poorly managed and low quality hotel is not where you want to spend your time.

Room Tip: Ask for road side room. Always make sure you are charged the correct amount and never ask to speak t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We took a midweek break on Canmore, and as usual we stayed at the Chateau Canmore, taking one of the regular rooms, which has a separate bedroom and sitting room. Clean room, clean bathroom, good wifi. Restaurant closed during our stay, but plenty of places close by.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper, ask for room on north side of hotel, away from the railway track.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

When we arrived, we were told we were "upgraded" due to overbooking. We had booked 2 queen beds since our 34 yr.old daughter was with us. They put us in a loft room with a king bed and a fold out couch on the main floor. The pull out sagged in the middle and was lumpy. Going downstairs 3x a night was difficult with knee problems. The unit was old and very outdated. The carpet was badly stained, very dirty and unsanitary. The tiny kichenette had a toaster, an old, old small microwave, coffeepot, and bar fridge. There was cups and glasses but no utensils, plates, dishsoap or teatowel. Our view was the parking lot. A train roared by several times just behind the parking lot. We had no controller for the TV upstairs and the controller on the main floor did not work. The air conditioner was ancient and very noisey.The lobby was nice and the sheets were clean otherwise this place was very disappointing. We didn't expect luxury for this price but this place was bad.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel was one of the best values on my recent trip to Canada. I was looking for an affordable hotel outside of Banff National Park since nothing in the park was affordable. This hotel filled the bill admirably. It had not only a bedroom area but also a small sitting room with its own TV. The room was nicely decorated and very clean. The value was excellent ($110 US) especially for the location. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There is a railroad line running by the south side of the hotel but the rooms were soundproofed enou...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Let me begin with a review of the hotel itself: decent view, good sized room, poor service, passable cleanliness, noisy rooms and ‘affordable rates’ IF they charge you correctly. Now onto my major problem with the hotel and why I will NEVER stay at it, or any Choice Hotel again for that matter. Upon returning from our stay at the hotel a month ago, I noticed that I’d been billed an additional $173.31 on my credit card. I called the hotel and spoke to a woman in HR who assured me that it was only a hold, not a real charge and would disappear from my credit card soon, which to this date has STILL NOT happened. I understand that mistakes happen and am not upset about the mistake but rather the complete lack of service from the hotel in regards to resolving this issue (which is ironic since on their website they claim to have a service guarantee - yeah right what service?). Several follow up phone calls to the hotel managers have not been returned and neither has an email to their head office. Unbelievable right? As a last resort I have contacted my credit card company who has kindly agreed to temporarily suspend the charges and will be launching an investigation into this fraudulent charge. You can rest assured that even if i never see my $173.31 again (which I'm hoping is not the case), it will cost the hotel a lot more than it will cost me as I am sharing my terrible and costly experience with family, friends, coworkers and other travellers in the hopes that they will never stay at a this or any Choice hotel and save themselves the headaches, hassles and extra charges.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cloyne, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. Even had a fireplace which would have been more useful during ski season rather than a warm day in Sept. A good deal for a nice clean room with mountain views. Highly recommended, even though it does not include any breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Resort Chateau Canmore? Share your experiences!