We stayed here for 2 nights using Choice Hotels points. In summary, it was a good choice for free nights with points, but I wouldn't have felt so happy if I had to pay the going rate for the room. As I said in the title; OK, but not great. (At the bottom of this review is an important comment about the railroad tracks right next to the hotel).
Firstly the positives; great view of the mountains from most of the rooms. Air conditioning was great (as it was mid August it was essential). The room was dated but clean. Free WiFi was good. Parking was OK (close to the hotel but it got full every night). There was no noise from adjoining rooms or the ones above. Good location less than 1 minute from the highway and in walking distance of the entire town. The pool (indoor) and hot tub (outdoor) was small for a hotel this large, but it was well maintained. The gym was fantastic, one of the best hotel gyms I have used in years.
The negatives: for a room that is supposed to sleep 6, the bathroom was tiny (and I mean tiny). Not enough room to swing a toothbrush, let alone a cat. This is the only Quality Inn / Choice Hotels property I have every stayed in with no free breakfast. There aren't enough power sockets in the room so be sure to bring a power bar with you. The layout is pretty confusing, with one slow elevator in the center of the hotel and no option of using stairs from the third or fourth floor, and a separate elevator to the restaurant that doesn't go to the lobby. Weird.
Now, on to the railroad tracks ... Yes the Canadian Pacific Railroad is immediately behind the hotel. There are a lot of reviews moaning about this. However we did have a room overlooking the railroad and we loved every minute of it. There is something magical about seeing large trains rolling through the mountains, they are part of Canada's (and Canmore's) history and there is nothing better than having a close-up view from your hotel window. About 4 or 5 trains rumbled on through in the middle of the night but it was part of the experience (very cozy to lie in bed listening to the trains making their way through the valley in the dead of night).
If you don't like trains, don't come to Canmore - period. If you choose Canmore and this hotel, enjoy the trains for what they are - a wonderful part of the history and of the mountains. Ask for a room facing the trains!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Quality Resort Chateau Canmore is an all suite property features 93 units, offering spectacular views of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. This full service hotel includes a family restaurant, sports lounge, and full fitness centre. You can enjoy a refreshing dip in the pool or soothe aching muscles in the outdoor hot tub or sauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Quality Resort Chateau Canmore reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quality Resort Chateau Canmore Hotel Canmore
- Quality Inn Canmore
- Quality Hotel Chateau Canmore
- Quality Resort Chateau Canmore Alberta