“Great food, crap service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wild Orchid Bistro

Wild Orchid Bistro
1818 Mountain Ave | 1818 Mt Ave, Canmore, Alberta T1W 3M3, Canada (Formerly Wild Orchid Asian Bistro and Lounge)
+1 403-679-2029
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 103 Restaurants in Canmore
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Asian fusion
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery
Description: The Wild Orchid Bistro is truly one of Canmore's best kept secrets. Chef Shogo has created a Gluten Free menu featuring some of the old favorites with a focus on fresh ingredients and traditional Pan - Asian flavors. Our patio offers panoramic Mountain views, full sun in the summer and our 10 seat table top fire place is always a favorite with savvy travelers and discerning local's alike. The Wild Orchid Bistro is the perfect place to spend the evening with friends & family, let our knowledgeable staff set the stage for an inspiring evening.
Canmore
“Great food, crap service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I have been to this restaurant several times, as the food is great. I think the 2 for 1 offer is a good idea to draw in local business. You have to allow several hours for this dining experience, my Grandma could serve faster! Very slow service, most times I could see the food sitting on the counter ready, I guess I should have went and got it myself. I don't think it would kill the servers to smile once in a while.

Visited December 2011

Banff, Canada
“Food is good. Service is horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have eaten at Wild Orchid a dozen times as the food is delicious. The summer staff was great.

Towards the end of summer they hired this one server (still currently working) who is certainly doing no favours for the dining room. She doesn't know how to smile, has yet to figure out that she should clear the plates first before bringing new plates out, will reach in front of you to push your plates over so she can lay down the new dish, then will walk away without clearing the empty plates. She really couldn't care about her guest as your always having to flag her down if you need something.

The part that really did it for me was last night and was the final straw was when we went and asked if the local's special was still on where you get 50% off the sushi rolls and she said yes. When she brought the bill I had advised her that it didn't look like the discount was taken off. Her response was "Sorry the special ended in December" I advised her that I clearly asked if the special was still on and that she said yes it was and that these rolls were also 50%off. Her response was "Oh I must not have been listening" and wouldn't offer any solutions.

She did comment to my husband who was looking at an advertisement that it was the owner’s newest restaurant and how nice it must be to have enough money to have 4 restaurants.

I guess I wasn't listening to her either when she hinted she wanted a tip after all that and left nothing.

Hopefully they get rid of the horrible waitress and can find someone who is passionate about the service industry again.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canmore
“Japanese fusion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

We dined here on a Saturday evening in early December, the local 'off'' season so the restaurant was only moderately busy. The menu offers the choice of tapas style or a la carte choices. Two of us chose tapas to share and 2 opted for mains. The tables are somewhat small to accommodate both styles of dining although they would be fine if everyone was consistent. Food varied from raves to adequate - the sable fish entree was outstanding while the tapas calamari batter was under seasoned and dry. Presentation & plating is very attractive. They make their own ice cream, so don't skip dessert.
Service was pleasant and efficient, and everyone including the kitchen staff thanked us for coming in. All in all a decent restaurant with interesting menu choices.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Canmore, Canada
“Modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

It has the unique funky dining experience you expect from Vancouver with fresh flavors and good cocktails.
The service is very good and the outside dining is really neat, a big table with fire in the middle.

Hamilton, Canada
“Anniversary Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Celebrating our fifth anniversary my wife and I stayed at Silver Creek Lodge and dined at their onsight restaurant. The food was superb, the atmosphere sublime and the service immpeccable!

Visited November 2011