“Had lots of potential!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 33 Hotels in Canmore
Calgary, Canada
“Had lots of potential!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We went to this hotel on Good Friday of the Easter weekend. We had booked a one bedroom with kitchenette. Unfortunately they were over sold. Staff was very helpful and did their best to accommodate and apologize for the mix up. Elyse was fantastic and did what ever she could to help us out.So we ended up getting a one bedroom executive suite in the boutique portion of the hotel! The boutique room was actually quite large and was nice and clean.

The biggest disappointment was that it was quite a beautiful hotel and recently updated but not maintained very well. Our shower did not drain properly so we had to cut showers short before it over flowed. Light bulbs were burnt out. There were no extra sheets in the bedroom for the pull out bed. No coffee in the room for the keurig. So details were over looked.

The pool area was not well maintained. The deck was dirty with hair and dirt. The pool itself had dirt in it. The outdoor portion of the hot tub was also dirty with an empty bottle of wine in the corner. There was a water cooler in the corner, but no water! At one point in the afternoon the kids pool was too cold for my son to go in and the hot tub was just warm!

The food in he habitat restaurant was very good!

Overall they were extremely short staffed...as well...especially on the Friday.

It's too bas the hotel seemed to have so much potential, it looks nice newly renovated, great for kids with the waterslide and kids pool but it just wasn't maintained!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We travel to Canmore once or twice a year for a family holiday. I will preface this by saying that we usually stay at another property in the area but we thought we'd try something different this time. We decided to stay at this resort specifically, because of the pool and water slide.

However, when we arrived the whole pool area was under maintenance. We were not informed of this when we checked in, my husband discovered it later that evening. Also, the elevator was broken on two out of the three days that we were there. Not exactly ideal when staying with an infant and a small child (and all of our belongings). I understand that these things happen, but it certainly but a damper on our stay.

As far as cleanliness, it was just okay. Our patio windows were full of handprints and there was a box of empty wine bottles on our patio. The walls are fairly dinged up, and the coffee table was very wobbly and not sturdy.

I don't know, but I've stayed in other properties that were better stocked, cleaner and maintained. I just feel that we didn't really get the value for what we paid. In the end, we did get a small discount because of the pool.

We left one of our items behind, and my husband talked to housekeeping and was told they they would return his call the next day. That was over a week ago.

Overall, it was just okay. It would be fine if we were travelling without our kids, but I think we will stay somewhere else next time.

Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We had a nice stay here. Overall good amenities, but I'd say something about the layout just generally felt off. Weirdly planned out. A big rabbit warren of condos. Had to drive around though condo maze to find parkade entrance . Pool had waterslide and indoor/ outdoor hot tub and kids area. Outdoor hot tub a bit weird as surrounded very closely by balconies from units. Viewing area for pool from hotel bar overlooking giant frog kids area. Suites nicely decorated but tiny kitchens, living rooms. Good bedding and comfy beds. Underground parking good. Barbecues on balconies. Laundry in unit which was good but strangely crammed beside shower in main bathroom. The thing that stood out in my mind about this place was the bizarre automated showers! They talked, had all kinds of features, very weird! If you go to Canmore a lot I would stay here once just to experience them. The kids loved them! Laughed their heads off and played with them for ages! Husband hated, as took a long time to figure out how to just turn on regular shower.

Stayed April 2015
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

There were seven of us going to a wedding in B.C. We stayed two nights at the Grande Rockie Resort. We were pleased with our accommodation The beds were comfortable and the suites clean and well equipped. The elevator was not working for part of Friday but we just used the stairs. The pool was great, especially enjoyed the indoor/outdoor hot tub. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
GrandeRockiesResort, General Manager at Grande Rockies Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Heather,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm pleased to hear of your experience with us. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to the Canmore area.

St Albert, Ab
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our family has been to this resort multiple times in the past. This will most likely be our last. Not sure what has happened here as it use to be a great spot but not anymore. We showed up at 4 on our check in day which is right on time for check in. They asked for an extra 25 to 30 minutes to finish the room We had no issue with this and went and did some last minute grocery shopping that we planned to do there anyway. we got back 45 minutes later and were told the room still wasn't ready and that they required about 25 minutes. They did offer us our key so we could use the pool while we wait. we went for a walk instead. We were finally able to check in at 5:30. An hour and a half after the posted check in times. Upon check in we did notice that the room was lacking the usual attention to detail we were use to with this resort. It looked like the cleaning was VERY rushed!! We made the best of it. The very next morning our toilet overflowed. We called the front desk and they sent maintenance right away. The maintenance guy fixed it right away. He actually found that 3 bars of soap had been flushed down the toilet and he had to remove the toilet to fix it. This made quite a mess. He was great about it though and cleaned up what he could. He also said that he would contact the front desk and let them know it needed a cleaning and should be prioritized. We left shortly after. After going in to town to walk around and have lunch we came back about 4.5 hours later to find that nothing had been done. I went to the front desk to inquire and they said it had been cleaned according to their list. I told them it still had to be done but our daughter was down for a nap. We agreed that I would let them know as soon as she woke up and that it would then be prioritized. When my daughter woke up we went down and informed them we were leaving for Banff. The promised it would be clean when we got back. We spent a few hours in Banff and came back. This time we found that the towels had been picked up off the floor but the floor was still covered in dried toilet paper and who knows what else. As well as the shower since this is where he put the toilet when he removed it. Again I went back down and they swore it was cleaned. They finally sent somebody up to inspect while we were there. The guy that came up was quite embarrassed with what he saw. He went and got stuff to clean it himself. After this the biggest issue was just having to call to even have your garbage changed. it sure is too bad! This was a great place before!! Overall it has slipped all across the board!!!!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Brad G,
Thanks for sharing your feedback and concerns with us, I'm certainly disappointed to hear about your experience as that is not the standard we strive for at the Grande Rockies.. I'd love the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail and would sincerely appreciate you giving me a call directly at 587-222-0700 or via email at brentb@bellstar.ca.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The resort is at an excellent location, just about 20 minutes from Banff. Each room had a well stocked kitchen, an open balcony with furniture and a barbeque, clean rooms and bathrooms with spa-style showers. The pool is quite nice as well. All of this made this a lovely place to stay.

There were some downers though. The underground parking was probably built on the assumption that everyone drives a Ford Fiesta or smaller. The spots are really cramped and it is next to impossible to fit two SUVs in a twin space, let alone trucks.

The rooms are not well ventilated and despite being April and +2C outside, we felt quite suffocated.

The barbeque ignition did not work and they could not help with it, and we never got the extra bed we were promised, so we made do with the sofa bed. The bartender only swings by the bar every 15 minutes. The food was OK but nothing special. The TV did not have a USB port which seemed a little dated to us.

All in all despite all this we would go again. If you are not picky, the room amenities and the location are fantastic and whether you spend a day in or head our anywhere in a 50km radius, you are in for a great day, and the stay is great value. Other than the ventilation, the points I've mentioned here are quite understandable for the price.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear JDanish,
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and am sorry you had a few challenges with the extra bed and the size of the parkade. I have passed along your comments to our teams to ensure that moving forward this issue is addressed. I'd love to discuss your stay in more detail if you'd like to give me a call directly at 587-222-0700 or via email at brentb@bellstar.ca.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Let me start by saying this was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel (I have been to many places including a hostile in east Africa that was better kept). This will probably be the worst review I have ever had to write on TripAdvisor. I will post photos to help you understand - If I can find a way to put the video I took up, I will.

To start off all day we were trying to reach the hotel and consistently no one answered at the front desk. When we arrived there were already a couple people at the front desk complaining, but we had been here before years ago and this was an amazing place that we had recommended to others so we weren't going to worry about it.

Staff were reasonable at this point and we headed off to dinner. When we arrived back after dinner, outside of a bad smell in the room, first glance, the place looked fine. We found out there was no towels in our room, and in fact we were told that we would not be receiving any because the hotel did not have any available. A hotel with no towels? (We heard at least 6 - 7 other guests complaining as well) We were tired and resourceful so decided we would look past this, get a bath robe and use it to dry off when needed.

We got back to our room to find we were missing many toiletries, there were no pillow cases on our pillows... wait for it... and you guessed it! Our bed was completely filled with hairs! A combination between longer brown hairs and small black curly ones - no imagination needed. with 20 - 30 plus hairs scattered all throughout our sheets we almost gagged and could not stay.

There was one woman working the front desk who was so busy she could not answer the phone. We got in line as there were many disappointed and angry guests who were in similar situations this night - we felt bad for the one staff member, as during a crisis at the hotel (No towels, pillowcases or support from housekeeping) there was no support from any management. I could go on, but I will leave it here. If you are thinking of booking - there are many other incredible places in Canmore in a similar price range. If you have already booked - I hope for your sake this place has undergone new and improved staffing and management as it was a very stressful trip. - consider rebooking elsewhere until they sort this mess out.

My unsolicited advise to Brent the manager: It would be at this point I would stop copying and pasting the same message telling guests to contact you - You had many extremely inconvenienced and disappointed guests: I would pick up your phone and start calling them.

This had to be done, take what you need and leave the rest.
Thanks for your time and for reading.

Ps: the attached video and photo will give you a small example of the hairs found throughout the bed.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Grande Rockies Resort? Share your experiences!