“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Canmore
Edmonton, Canada
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

It's not that this hotel is bad, it's just...... ok. Nothing stunning, but lots wrong.

For starters, staffing must be a big issue. A huge line at check in time (like, 10 families in line) and 1 person working the desk. Housekeeping must be a huge issue too- not enough people to do the work would be my guess. Our room clearly hadn't been swept, there were pillows missing from the bed, no extra blankets, 2 towels and one facecloth, the dish soap in the kitchen was totally empty, and dishes left (washed) in the dishwasher (one of which had dried cooked on food still in it- LOVE starting my vacay by washing someone else's dishes). The hotel hallway wasn't vacuumed the entire 5 days we were there, and it showed. There were dishes left outside someone's room for all 5 days too. No towels in the pool area, and of course no one at the front desk when you go to ask for them. The pool is great for toddlers- has it's own kiddie area out of the main pool and waterslide, but the whole thing is grotty and unclean.

It just seems weird that the owners would sink so much money into the rooms (slate floors, granite counters, a beautiful bathroom with steam shower, gas fireplace) and then let things go, like the missing dishes/towels/blankets, or 3 outside chairs but no table, or the general maintenance of the facilities.

In terms of what we were looking for, this hotel had it- a separate bedroom, a full kitchen (with a mismatch of numbers of dishes and things), an indoor pool.... but I'm really not sure I'd stay here again. I can't say anything was really wrong, but the unkempt nature of the place bothered me.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Phoned to make sure room would be ready at check-in. Was told it would be - it wasn't. Kitchen had one tiny pot, no dish soap, floors and counters covered in dust, you get the idea. We booked the stay and ski package but the front desk has no record of the ski part. Still waiting for that $200 issue to be resolved.

This hotel is ridiculously disorganized and understaffed!

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here with my sister and mom for a ski weekend in March 2015. I've stayed here before and had a great experience, but not the case this time. Although our room was very nice, we were missing a lot of items from it when we arrived- towels, soap, garbage bags, bedding etc. When I called down to the front desk, I couldn't get ahold of anyone, so we had to go down to talk to someone. The person we talked to did not apologize for what was missing, and was not very friendly. They delivered most of our things shortly after, however our towels did not arrive until 11 pm that night (4 hours after we asked for them). The shower was also broken, and the heat could not be adjusted, so we all had to have extremely hot showers. When we checked out the next day, we tried to tell the customer service rep about our experience, and he didn't seem like he cared to hear our complaints, and was not apologetic at all. No one working at the hotel that we encountered seemed very happy or accommodating- even the bartenders at the restaurant were very unfriendly. I would not stay here again simply because of the poor customer service we received, very disappointed.

St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

spent 2 nights here and have no complaints. There are a few little things, like the shower door handle was not bolted on, no shampoo in the room, but all in all we gad a very nice visit. Pool is great, a little cool, but tons of fun.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

First, some quick background about this trip: my boyfriend's company decided they wanted to have their annual Christmas party here last Nov. They let the receptionist book it (who is no longer with the company) and I don't think she did a lot of research before she booked it. At the time (last summer I think) when she reserved it, I looked up the hotel's reviews and there were quite a few bad reviews. It seems those reviews were purged in September last year, so I'm not really sure what happened there.... They were unable to cancel the reservation because they wouldn't have received their huge deposit back, so they just left it alone.

Anyways, I was pretty apprehensive about coming here. I kept checking the reviews before we left, especially after I saw that all the previous reviews had been purged, made me kind of leery. When we arrived, my boyfriend had to wait awhile at the check-in desk because I think there was a problem with our room (they were trying not to say anything directly to us to make us mad I guess, but it was pretty obvious they'd given our room to someone else). They ended up upgrading us to a huge 3 bedroom suite for free to compensate us for the trouble, so we were very happy with that. The staff at the front desk seemed friendly and professional.

The living room area of the hotel room was quite nice, we ended up entertaining some of our friends who were staying in smaller rooms in our room a couple times. The master bedroom was huge....but very blah. Our room was on the first floor and the master bedroom reminded me of sleeping in someone's basement or something. There is a lot of empty wall space that would look a lot nicer if they hung more artwork or at least did a feature wall with some wall paper or something. The ceilings were super high so it made the room look even more bare. I guess I just feel that if someone booked this room at full price they could have done a better job decorating the master bedroom, the way they did with the living room and kitchen area. The ensuite bathroom was really nice, I enjoyed the shower with the stereo in it, though once again due to the size of it and lack of decorating, the walls made it feel very bare and cavernous. This room was also rather noisy. When we were in bed in the morning we could hear the hotel carts in the hallway outside and in the hallway above us too, I swear it seemed like the walls were rattling. At night it seemed okay, but the "hotel noise" seemed to start up around 7am or so (I hadn't been drinking the night before). We could hear footsteps in the halls also, including little kids running back and forth in the halls. I also made a point of checking the dishes and stuff in the cupboards after reading lots of complaints about dirty dishes. I'm happy to report that all the dishes were clean and the dishwasher was empty (we never used any of it, I was just curious after the reviews).

The hotel catered the Christmas party and the food was actually decent. My boyfriend and I are self-professed food snobs and we usually dread the food at these sort of events, but I have no complaints here. The room we had was set up nicely and we had a good party. We had another little sort of mingling party the next night, which turned out was in one of the other buildings, and none of us knew this. Kinda sucked for those of us wearing heels having to walk over there in the snow. The room we were in was kind of tiny for how many people we were having (I think on that night it was probably 30 or so) and there was nowhere to sit except for a little ledge in front of a small fireplace. There were a couple small, high-top tables to put drinks. The food seemed like one of those big boxes of mixed appetizers you can get at Costco or something, whereas at the party the night before it definitely came from the restaurant. The snacks weren't awful, but they weren't great either. A bunch of us ended up walking to a bar after spending an hour or so there (that one of the girls at the front desk helpfully recommended).

As I said, I'd probably give this place 3.5 stars if I could. There was certainly nothing horribly wrong with our stay and the staff were fine. But this hotel seems to be trying to market itself as a more luxurious hotel and it really feels more like a budget place (though the bed linens were quite nice) or like a generic chain hotel. The front lobby & restaurant area are definitely reflective of what they are trying to go for, but the rooms...not so much. It would probably be a fine place to stay if you go with a bunch of friends skiing for a weekend and share a suite so you have a place to crash. As I said, I can't find anything horribly wrong with the hotel, I just feel like it's way over-priced for what it is. Sorry for the long review, it seems like this hotel gets a lot of hate from some people, so I wanted to write a more detailed review to give people a better idea of what to expect.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I spotted a deal for this resort on Living Social and my husband, children and I had stayed before and been very happy, so I bought the voucher. My husband and I arranged time off work and child care for our kids and booked our trip. Today we called to see if it would be possible to switch our reservations from the Saturday/Sunday to the Friday/ Saturday. The first phone call they told us their computers were down and they would call us back. The second time no one answered so we left a message. No call back. The third time someone answered and told us they had LOST OUR RESERVATION, they would look into it and call us back. An hour later my husband phones again. They have found our reservation but apparently we made it for November 8 & 9. Yes, we did...in 2013. And no, they have no availability for this weekend. And by the way, the voucher expires in two weeks, and you only have 30 days to get a refund. What a joke!!!!!! No apology, nothing. As I said in the title, don't even try to make a reservation.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I had a three day stay here in March 2015. This was once a nice place, but a lack of maintenance and poor planning when it was built make it average today. The room we stayed in had a steam shower. The doors on the shower had come off the track and at some time water had sprayed on the bathroom door frame, damaging it. A bit of moulding on the same frame was coming off. I am very tall and could not stand up straight in the shower (this is not unusual in Mexico, but in Canada????) The fake hardwood floor had many gouges in it. A dye pen would have concealed most of them, but no one had bothered. The king sized bed was nice, but so wide the night table, bolted to the wall, blocked the opening of the closet bifold door, which in turn blocked the set of drawers inside the closet making then useless. With the kitchen tap you could pull out the end to rinse off dishes. Unfortunately the end drooped out of its fitting because the counterweight under the sink was wrongly positioned. The cupboard door over the microwave would not close properly because it rubbed on the microwave door. The room was extremely hot and difficult to cool down because when you opened the patio door, the noise from the Trans Canada highway was extreme. The air-conditioning did not seem to be functioning this early in the season. Somebody needs to do a complete inspection of the rooms in this place and get maintenance to do their job!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that front onto the Trans Canada Highway