“Close, but no cigar!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Canmore
Edmonton
“Close, but no cigar!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My wife and I had a three day stay here in March 2015. This was once a nice place, but a lack of maintenance and poor planning when it was built make it average today. The room we stayed in had a steam shower. The doors on the shower had come off the track and at some time water had sprayed on the bathroom door frame, damaging it. A bit of moulding on the same frame was coming off. I am very tall and could not stand up straight in the shower (this is not unusual in Mexico, but in Canada????) The fake hardwood floor had many gouges in it. A dye pen would have concealed most of them, but no one had bothered. The king sized bed was nice, but so wide the night table, bolted to the wall, blocked the opening of the closet bifold door, which in turn blocked the set of drawers inside the closet making then useless. With the kitchen tap you could pull out the end to rinse off dishes. Unfortunately the end drooped out of its fitting because the counterweight under the sink was wrongly positioned. The cupboard door over the microwave would not close properly because it rubbed on the microwave door. The room was extremely hot and difficult to cool down because when you opened the patio door, the noise from the Trans Canada highway was extreme. The air-conditioning did not seem to be functioning this early in the season. Somebody needs to do a complete inspection of the rooms in this place and get maintenance to do their job!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that front onto the Trans Canada Highway
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
GrandeRockiesResort, General Manager at Grande Rockies Resort, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear BigCliff,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear about the challenges you faced with your room. That is certainly not the standard we hold ourselves too. Each room is given an inspection prior to guest arrivals by both housekeeping and maintenance. I will ensure that I follow up and pass along your comments to both. I'd love the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail. Please feel free to contact me either via email at brentb@bellstar.ca or by phone at 587-222-0700.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Southern Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Three weeks ago I booked a 2 bedroom suite. My husband and I planned our very busy work schedules around a much anticipated weekend away. Today I received a call from the hotel saying they had no space and would not accommodate my booking. Perhaps they need to re evaluate their policies and procedures around booking and reservation. Thanks for nothing.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Happy Albertan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I would love to discuss the situation further with you, so please feel free to reach out to me directly at 587-222-0700 or via email at brentb@bellstar.ca.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently stayed here for 2 days/nights with my husband and infant son. The hotel was very nice and extremely clean. We will definitely stay here again. We did however have a few small complaints. I booked via groupon and some of the information was a little misleading or omitted. We booked a non-suite room, at the time of booking I had no idea that these rooms were located in a separate building. Had I known this I would have paid the extra to be in a suite even though we did not require a kitchenette. We did however require a mini fridge but our room did not have one like stated on the website I booked through. Being in a separate building we did not get to fully enjoy all of the resort amenities (which we had to pay an extra fee for). The weather was quite chilly and the pool is located in the main building. This is a long, cold walk to carry an infant especially after they were just in the pool. For being a large family-friendly pool we expected there to be change rooms, especially to accommodate those that stayed in the separate building. There were no change rooms, only a small bathroom- which was extremely difficult to maneuver around in and change a baby before and after swimming (no change table or large counter top, had to use the floor). Since the weather was cold when we went we hoped to spend a lot of our time in the pool, we had no such luck. The pool was extremely cold, far too cold for a baby and very uncomfortable for an adult. We ended up going to the canmore rec centre to swim.

As I stated above we really enjoyed the hotel and its atmosphere but will be sure to book a suite in the main building when we return.

Room Tip: suite in the main building
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
GrandeRockiesResort, General Manager at Grande Rockies Resort, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Nicole D,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I'm sorry that you had a challenge with the pool temperature, we do try to keep it at a very comfortable temperature for all our guests, so I will certainly follow up on this issue. The rooms in our boutique building while extremely comfortable do not come equipped with the full kitchen, in the future, we'd love to host you in our main building to experience the full condo style stay. If you'd like to discuss your stay in more detail, I'd love the opportunity and can be reached directly at 587-222-0700.

Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We spent 2 nights at the Grande Rockies Resort this past weekend. I was alone with my two children when we checked in on Friday night. We checked in and our room was not at all ready. The television was totally disconnected and missing a cable to the VCR, the hide away bed had no sheets, quilt or pillows in the room, there was no blow dryer (which I found out after having a shower). I tried to call the front desk but they never answered, I probably tried over a dozen times. Each time I needed something I had to walk to the front desk to actually talk to someone. It took over 2 hours for our TV and VCR to be fixed and the only reason it was fixed was because I asked the person who dropped off the hide a bed sheets to look at it. The hide a bed was really uncomfortable and they didn't have any mattress toppers to make it better.

It was a really bad first impression. The room was large, the big kitchen was nice, but the lack of service will keep me from returning.

Room Tip: We had room 119. Wifi connected but nothing loaded.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
GrandeRockiesResort, General Manager at Grande Rockies Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear SnowbirdCalgary,
Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback, it truly is appreciated when guests help us identify areas we can improve. I am sorry to hear about the challenges you had with TV and VCR, I am glad that it was eventually resolved for you. Unfortunately on a busy evenings like Friday night our staff certainly try to handle all calls and guests arriving, sometimes it does make it difficult to reach the front desk team. I'm glad you enjoyed the layout of the units, the large kitchen certainly makes traveling with a family easy. Each room has individual wi/fi and we have 16 access points for our common areas, so I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with yours. I have sent a request to our maintenance team to investigate further. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to send your feedback, and would love the opportunity to discuss in further detail. Please feel free to reach out directly at 587-222-0700 or by email at brentb@bellstar.ca.

Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our family stayed here in a two bedroom suite, and the staff, room amenities, and experience could not be better. The location is also very convenient, near the highway, but no traffic at all in the room. We will be returning!

Room Tip: Stay in a one or two bedroom suite in the main building as they are newer and have excellent ameniti...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jonathan,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Fortunately all our rooms are quiet and unaffected by the highway! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grande Rockies on your next trip to Canmore!

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our room wasn't ready when arrived and we had to wait in the lounge. The hotel staff said they would come get us when our room was ready (est. 20 minutes)...after 2 rounds of drinks and wings (over an hour), I finally went back the front desk, our room was ready.
When we mentioned to Wayne (lounge manager) what was happening, he offered free drinks and apologies.
The restaurant staff and food was also amazing for breakfast. Our room was ok.
Soooo the restaurant and their staff saved the trip.
The service of hotel staff is sub par.

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
GrandeRockiesResort, General Manager at Grande Rockies Resort, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Svobods,
I am truly sorry to hear about the wait for your room. I have followed up with our teams to ensure that this does not happen moving forward. I certainly appreciate your feedback on this matter. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the amazing service and menu at Habitat Restaurant. There truly is a menu item for everybody at Habitat! I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at 587-222-0700 or by email at brentb@bellstar.ca.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This vacation property has amazing views of the rockies, gas fireplaces, big decks with BBQs and luxury bedding. The main lobby has a wonderful restaurant and bar area that overlooks pool. You can watch the kids while relaxing in the lounge. Staff is polite and helpful. Loved staying here.

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Renee E,
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I'm truly glad that you enjoyed our rooms and the fantastic lounge and restaurant area. It's a perfect way for every member of your family to enjoy themselves! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grande Rockies on your next trip to Canmore.

Hotel Manager

Been to Grande Rockies Resort? Share your experiences!