“Just Horrible!” 1 of 5 stars

50% Off Third Night
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Canmore
“Just Horrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I bought a voucher off of groupon for my husband, my daughter and myself to stay for 3 days for a Xmas getaway. When we arrived the hallways on the main floor (which we were staying) smelled overwhelmingly of smoke. When we initially checked into our room it appeared to be fine so we left our things and went for dinner. Upon our return and after putting our daughter to bed; we discovered just how incredibly filthy it was. Stains on the walls, stove and sealant in the shower that could have been easily removed had they actually been cleaned. I also found a ring of dead skin around the drain in the bath tub from the previous guest and dust and dirt everywhere! The whole unit smelled overwhelmingly of urine and between that, the smoke in the hallways, the dust and my allergies we could not continue to stay. Had our daughter not already been sleeping in her play pen we would have immediately left. Instead we booked new accommodations for the next day and opted for an early check out in the morning. Because we had prepaid with groupon for our entire stay, the man at the front desk could not immediately refund our purchase for the days we had bought (but would not be staying) and said he would have a manager contact us. That never happened. We left several messages that have gone unreturned. Very disappointing. Save your money!

• Stayed December 2014

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We have been taking weekend vacation trips to Canmore for years and have been very happy staying at this resort, until recently. This hotel has steadily been going downhill, in terms of quality, service and cleanliness. Our most recent stay was Thanksgiving weekend and we stayed in a 2 bedroom suite. The kitchen floor had a sticky spot on it, so I thought my kids spilled something. I wet a rag and noticed the kitchen floor had not been cleaned,the rag was black. It was so gross. Had to ask myself, why leave the comforts of my clean house and pay over $200+ per night to stay in a place in need of a good cleaning?
The guests above us were making an unacceptable amount of noise, so at 9pm when my kids could not sleep we called down to the front desk. Finally at 10pm I ended up moving rooms with my son while my husband stayed in the room with daughter who was already sleeping. We ended up moving rooms the next day, and had asked to speak to management at the front desk to express our concerns, since we were returning guests. The front desk manager, Lucinda, never got back to us, we literally had to track her down 6 hours later, and when we did she was all business, we were not impressed. Very short, and we felt like we were interrupting her tour, as she told us she was busy with clients and could not get back to us earlier. Basically, we felt very dismissed. For the same money, or less, there are many other family friendly resorts right across the street who value their customers. It's too bad about this resort.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor, so thought we would not have problems with noise from above rooms. However...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

There are no change rooms for those that want to use the pool and staying at the detached building. Also, a large urine stain to the mattress was very noticeable through the white bed sheet. The bathroom in the room was clean but very few towels were provided. I would chose another place to stay next time.

• Stayed November 2014
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here for a conference last week in room 281 of the boutique building.
First, let me start by saying that all the basics were met if not exceeded; Super comfy bed, good wifi, and a nice hot shower (with a rain water faucet!).

Things that disappointed me:
- No fridge in the room... not a big deal, but staying for three nights it would have been nice to stock up on a few breakfast necessities
- Window faced the parking lot, and no balcony... I did notice that almost all other rooms in the "boutique" building had balconies and windows facing the mountains, so I felt a bit shafted here
- Towels were big but had lost all their fluff! Nothing worse than a rough towel.
- TV was facing a weird angle.
- Air conditioner/heater was really loud! Woke me up many times throughout the nights.
- There was no book in the room with information on Canmore or even a menu for their restaurant. I ordered room service one night (which was good - I had the chicken and brie sandwich with yam fries) and had to look it up on my phone using the wifi.

Overall my stay was comfortable and the accommodations suited my needs, but given the option I probably wouldn't stay here again over trying a new resort in the area.

Room Tip: Request to stay in the main building if you can. It's a chilly walk from the other buildings ove...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Red Deer, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We have stayed here in the past and really enjoyed this hotel.
This experience there were the usual positives, very quiet, friendly staff, nice pool.
However, in our room we only had 2 towels for 4 guests, one face cloth, no bath mats. We made do but asked for more towels. We got two pool towels, which are small, but gave them to the kids.
My bathrobe had a big hole in it, you need these to go to the pool by the lobby.
The kitchen cupboards were dirty and I had to wash the pots before we cooked supper.
Only one dish rag and no doing towel was available.
The fridge was immaculate!
Plenty of place settings provided. We enjoyed the room backing on to the courtyard.
Ordered cereal from room service as a treat for the kids thinking it would come with nice presentation. The handed me a coffee cup full of milk and two mini boxes of cereal. No tray, no flair which is why you get roomservice!
We'll think twice before we stay here again.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel itself is no where close to the money spent! Out room smelt bad-was very close to a train track-the sheets where ripped (which was something they prided themselves on trough their website.) we had forgotten my husbands suit there. Offered to pay the shopping and they sent me for a 2 week goose chase. Tried working with management to get it back but they just started to ignore my emails.. They still cannot explain why the suit is how missing less than 24 hrs from when we forgot it. The room we stayed in was separate from the main building so forget wanting to use the pool unless you freez your butt off running back to your building across the parkig lot. We have stayed in many hotels and I was NOT happy with this hotel! Not just by the actual hotel/room but terribly disappointed by the management and costumer service!

• Stayed October 2014
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked a luxury king suite rather last minute in an effort to detox and get away after an arduous week at work. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I was nervous about the comments regarding substandard cleanliness. I wish I could say that my experience was different, but not so. There was a nod towards renovating four years ago, but the rooms have not been maintained. The furniture looks cheap, the coffee table wobbled like a gyroscope, and the walls and floors were badly scratched up. While I might overlook the hotel's packaging themselves as a "luxurious" and "sophisticated" resort, I cannot forgive the lack of cleanliness. There were red stains on the panels of the sliding doors, which, I hope, was no more than tomato sauce. There were dustballs and layers of dust along the baseboards. The walls are thin, and we could hear the large family next to us carousing into the wee hours. On the flip side, my 7-year old son enjoyed the slide and swimming pool and experimenting with the space-aged shower. Rather than spending money on heating the outdoor hot tub and the high-tech showers, the money would be better spent on a reliable, conscientious house-keeping service.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
GrandeRockiesResort, General Manager at Grande Rockies Resort, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for feedback and taking the time to pass along your concerns. I have spoken with our housekeeping team in regards to your issue and will follow up with them to ensure that our standard of cleanliness is being met. I am glad to hear your son enjoyed the waterslide, it is a great amenity of the hotel for all guests! I'd like the opportunity to discuss your stay further and encourage you to contact me directly at 587-222-0700 or by email at brentb@bellstar.ca.

Brent Batten
Hotel Manager

Been to Grande Rockies Resort? Share your experiences!