We stayed during the kids spring break for 4 nights in March 2013. There are lots of choices for condo hotel type properties, but this one was the only one with a water slide which made it great for families. We have stayed at Blackstone and at The Lodges of Canmore so it was going to be a good comparison for us.
We arrived Friday afternoon and I made sure to ask that our room was in the same building as the swimming pool. I read somewhere that the building was actually split into separate areas. Turns out all the condo type rooms are in the main building, we were actually one of the farther rooms from the pool which made the walk back a little cold with little ones. Rented a 2 bedroom suite with full kitchen and it was big enough for an extended stay. The 2 bedroom suite we stayed in at Blackstone was much larger, but this one was fine. It did have all that we needed to cook and stay comfortably. We BBQ'd one night which was great as each suite had it's own natural gas BBQ. I would say that the property is starting to show some signs of wear and tear. Some of the caulking around the showers were splitting and the floors in the living area were very scratched up. Otherwise the room was fine for what we needed.
As far as the noise level that some have complained about, it wasn't so bad. I mean, you do hear people it the hall but we didn't notice our neighbors (perhaps we didn't have any). The last day we were there getting ready to leave, we did hear the people above us jumping around, they must have let their children go wild so we were glad to be leaving. Can't expect much more really as it is a big complex with lots of rooms. The only way to really eliminate that is with concrete construction and I bet there are no properties in Canmore that can provide that.
The pool was really great for the kids, but busy as many families came here. The towel situation was a bit of a gong show as the property had issues keeping up with the demand. However, I would say hording by the patrons was the real problem, no one needs to stack 8 towels for a family of 4. We only took 2 for me and my 3 kids which was fine.
One bad note which was not the fault of the property at all, our van was hit in the parkade and was damaged. The staff was helpful and did what they could. There were a lot of vehicles down there and in true Alberta form, lots of trucks that easily take up 2 spots. In the end, we left with a broken bumper.
So overall, the place was good, not the best I've been to in Canmore but would definitely come back again for the pool alone as most reviewers have stated. The staff was friendly and helpful and the room had everything we needed. I always stay in Canmore when going to the Rockies as it is way more affordable than Banff and it is only 15 minutes away from Banff if you want to go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience Grande Rockies Resort – a unique resort hotel in Canmore, Alberta. Set amidst the majestic mountains of Banff National Park, the resort offers the incredible standards and service of a luxury boutique hotel and the personal comforts of a grand vacation home.The Grande Rockies Resort in Canmore features more than 136 boutique, one and two bedroom luxury hotel suites and penthouses, most complete with fully-featured kitchens, in-suite washer and dryer, spa-inspired bathrooms and designer décor & amenities. At your service night and day is a full team of hotel & restaurant professionals capable of handling any request.Superbly situated in the foothills of the Rockies right in the alpine village of Canmore, Grande Rockies Resort is ideal for golf, ski and outdoor adventure enthusiasts. Or, simply hang out by the indoor pool with waterslide, kids pool and hot tub or get active in the fabulous fitness centre.Corporations will appreciate Grande Rockies Resort's well-appointed meeting and conference facilities, serviced by our team of conference specialists and culinary experts. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, BookIt.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Otel so you can book your Grande Rockies Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grande Rockies Hotel Canmore
- Grande Rockies Resort Canmore, Alberta