“Women's Intro to Mountaineering” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 38 Activities in Canmore
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Canada's premier mountain school and mountain guiding company. located in Canmore, Alberta we offer ice climbing, rock climbing, mountaineering, skiing and avalanche courses. We do day trips as well as multi day programs.
Calgary, Canada
“Women's Intro to Mountaineering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

July 2010 a girlfriend and I did the 5 day women's intro and all I can say is, it was an absolutely amazing experience! Our guide was excellent at introducing us to all the different skills/safety issues that we needed to be aware of. Abby was very knowledgeable and I felt totally safe the whole time. The food was great and the views ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING. We summited two 10,000ft peaks and stayed in two different alpine huts (a fun experience in itself)! It is a trip that I would highly recommend and I'm really hoping that I will get the opportunity to take another course.

Crossfield, Alberta, Canada
11 attraction reviews
“Ice Climbing Adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Soooo much fun! We had such a brilliant time with our guide Carl, and with the incredible weather, we even got to ice climb in t-shirts! We felt completely safe and confident the whole time and were so pleased with our adventure that we haven't stop bragging since! Thank you, Carl and thank you, Yamnuska!

Visited March 2013
Cork, Ireland
“Wapta Ice Hike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Myself and my husband booked the Wapta Ice Hike as part of our honeymoon, and we weren't disappointed.
We had a fabulous three days with our guides James Mason & James Blenche. They were consistently helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. We had plenty rest breaks en route.
The hut was very comfortable, and our catering was fabulous! I hadn't expected such tasty meals. I am a coeliac, and I ate just as well as everyone else.
Scenery was spectacular, and everything was well explained to us. The lists for equipment pre-trip were helpful, and all e-mail queries were answered quickly.
They even posted back my husband's memory card from his camera, which had been left behind in Bow Hut.
I would recommend Yamnuska to anyone- it was the highlight of our honeymoon.

Toronto, Canada
“Lake Louise Classics, w/ Yamnuska”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I did Intro to Mountaineering last year (July 2011) and Lake Louise Classics this summer (July 2012). I started with no mountaineering experience, but was a strong scrambler. The Yamnuska guides are fantastic: very knowledgeable, patient, & good cooks. The climb of Mt. Victoria was absolutely amazing experience. It was a climb of a lifetime, for sure. I would warn that the Lake Louise Classics are a BIG step up, and far more extreme than the climbs in the Intro course. Some outdoor rock climbing experience would also be helpful for the Classics trip. With 4am “alpine starts”, you will be climbing rock (sometimes with crampons) by headlamp.
I must also echo one of the comments below --- for maximum enjoyment, show up in the best shape of your life, and expect some serious “exposure”.

Barrie, Canada
“Intro to Mountaineering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is a trip of a lifetime! Yamnuska provided the perfect experience for beginners interested in mountaineering. Our trip was seamless from arrival at the airport to departure a week later all thanks to detailed and friendly help from the Yam Office. Over 6 days, we learned the basis of mountaineering and alpine safety through instruction from amazing guides. Their clear instruction and passion about climbing translated into a safe and incredible adventure for our group! Their patience and wonderful sense of humour made it easy for true beginners to gain confidence even in varying weather conditions. Meals were delicious and filling and the Bow Hut was comfortable beyond my expectations! I strongly recommend Yamnuska to anyone interested in mountain adventures - I will definitely be booking through Yam again!

Visited September 2012