“Tight Quarters - Amazing View” 3 of 5 stars

Silver Creek Lodge
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1818 Mountain Ave, Canmore, Alberta T1W 3M3, Canada   |
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Canmore
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Tight Quarters - Amazing View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed midweek at the Silver Creek Lodge in Canmore. Our booking provided a 4pm check-in but we arrived early and called ahead to confirm we could check-in early. The front desk staffer was very friendly and informed. I was surprised to learn the on site restaurant was closed. That's inconvenient! We were told there was free wifi but each device needed it's only password to connect. It wasn't a problem to get 5 codes. We parked underground and the parkade was dead. (That explains being able to check-in early!)

Upon entering the suite, I immediately checked out the view. WOW!!!! Breathtaking!!!!

The next thing I did was try to get on the wifi as we both had some work to do before we could relax. We tried to connect our devices throughout our entire stay and could not get connected at all. Didn't even get to the part where the system asked for our password. It was frustrating and disappointing. Grrrr hotel wifi! Don't advertise it if we can't actually use it!

After surveying the suite I realized it was much smaller than I expected. We stayed at another resort in 2010 and I think I had unconsciously hoped for similar accommodations (which I admit is unfair). I think what throws off the room design is the furniture (sofa, coffee table, end tables, bed etc) is low profile BUT the tiny kitchen is dwarfed by an enormous bar height island that takes up all the space. The difference in scale and height really was disproportionate. The island looks ridiculous and is a monstrosity in that small space.

The decor of the suite was simple and nice. Everything was very clean! The bedroom was cozy. I didn't like that the only light source in the bedroom was small bedside lamps that give off subdued lighting (Husband prefers it though).

The bathroom was beautiful with an enormous tub, big enough for two! We thought the rain style shower head would feel amazing but there wasn't much water pressure. Unfortunately the toilet plugged 7 times that night. This is even with the 1-ply toilet paper the Lodge provides (yuck). At first we assumed the fault was ours for plugging the toilet but who enjoys plunging? I assure you after plunging twice, we modified our routine and knew that there was something wrong with the toilet. We knew the front desk wouldn't be able to get maintenance to fix the toilet at that time of night so chose to address the issue upon checking out so that the next guest wouldn't be as inconvenienced.

The other issue I addressed upon checking out was the lack of climate control in the suite. It was stifling hot no matter what we did. We opened the patio doors for a spell to cool things off but the heat kept going. We turned the thermostat all the way down but even after 4hrs the thermostat didn't show our changes. We slept with the bedroom window wide open all night and it didn't help at all (air wouldn't enter the room!!).

I would be interested to know if all suites have the monstrous islands in the kitchen? I think based upon location, view, modern furnishings, bed comfort and tub size, we would stay at the Silver Creek Lodge again but only if discounted rates were available.

• Stayed December 2013
Waymarker, Director of Sales at Silver Creek Lodge, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Thank you for staying with us....we are sorry to hear your report about the WiFi...it can be spotty signals especially being in the mountains but we are trying to work out the kinks. I hope that next time you do stay with us that it won't be as disappointing for you but are glad to read that you would come back!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

My partner and I visited recently. We enjoyed a fireplace and soaker tub in our Zen inspired room and relaxed in an outdoor hot tub while snow flakes fell from the sky. Breathtaking mountain views from our rooms window. My partner and I decided to make this a regular relaxation destination.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you babyblaze for staying with us and we are glad to know that you and your partner will be back....so romantic being in the hot tubs with snow lightly falling......
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My boyfriend booked a weeked in this hotel in October and we were very happy with the room and the service. The room was wonderful and very comfortable. The one thing we really loved was waking up to a really goregous view of the mountians right ouside our window. We only stayed for the weekend but I wish we coud have stayed longer! The bedroom was pretty cozy and the fireplace was a nice touch.
We had dinner downstairs on our first night at the Wild Orchid Bistro which is gluten free. The staff was friendly and made sure we were satisfied throughout the night.
We really wanted to make it down to the spa/hot tubs but because of our short visit we never had the time. Perhaps next time!
Overall it was a really nice stay and great way to spend a quicky weekend getaway to the mountains.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Waymarker, Director of Sales at Silver Creek Lodge, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you Cheddarfuzz for staying at Silver Creek Lodge!! We appreciate your comments and are glad to hear that you woke up to a wonderful view!!! We hope to see you again very soon!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My Boyfriend and I stayed at this lovely hotel in Canmore. I used to live in the rockies so I was quite familiar with the surroundings, but it was my boyfriends first time and he was blown away. Being in the hospitally business myself, I really enjoyed this location. Great room big but cozy at the same time. Nice view of the mountains!!! Close to town and all amenities. Awesome outdoor hot pools. Great restaurant, super tasty, and the chef asked us personally if we enjoyed the meal! I even left my phone down in the restaurant whithout even knowing and Daniel from the front desk called our room to return it. WOW. It was a completely relaxing and wonderful time! Also would like to thank Marina for makeing this all possible. Perfect!
My only regret was not being able to try out the spa...... Saving ti for next time!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Wray N for staying at Silver Creek Lodge and bringing your boyfriend, it is so nice to know that you enjoyed your stay especially being in the hospitality industry yourself. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our amenities and I will be sure to shoe your review to the mentioned staff! Thank you and we do hope to see you again very soon!!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This hotel is really nothing special. No one went out of their way to make it spectacular, and the people who did help me did not go "above and beyond."
The room was very nice, but the bedroom was small. The patio was nice, but I had to wipe several weeks worth of dirt from the patio furniture. The tub filled from a hole in the ceiling, very odd. The hot pools were nice, but there were no towels and no attendant (for service) after 6:00 pm; we had brought robes from the room, so weren't completely soaked walking back.
Some items that we forgot in the room were not found and not returned. I was disappointed that the housekeeping staff was not competent enough to notice left items and ensure they were returned.
I had no major problems and only one minor disappointment, so overall it was a pretty average stay.

Room Tip: You'll probably want something on the south side of the hotel, the north side faces a busy highw...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Waymarker, Director of Sales at Silver Creek Lodge, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
craigmcn, thank you for your review and your honest comments. I am sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations and would like to know how we could have done more for you so we can try to improve on any services that we provide. I will also look into your items that were left behind if you could please let me know what they were (at your convenience). Please feel free to contact me at judy@waymarker.ca I look forward to your response craigmcn
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife and I bookended our summer vacation in the Rockies with a night here. The facilities are lovely. The room we stayed in was very well designed and arranged. The in house restaurant has some amazing food that is worth staying in the lodge for. Would highly recommend Silver Creek to anyone staying in Canmore.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
judyhr11, Director of Sales at Silver Creek Lodge, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Tod E, thank you for taking the time to write a review for us!! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we can't wait for you to come back!!!
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Ending our vacation with a stay in Canmore and decided to stay at Silver Creek as we had almost bought a unit there long ago. The room was a condo unit as opposed to the hotel unit we had mistakenly booked.Thanks to Daniel at the front desk who offered to change the reservation for us when we arrived, it made our 5 day stay much nicer to have in unit washer and dryer. The Wild Orchid restaurant was great and we ate there twice after enjoying the first dinner so much our first night. Menu has choices for all. The only thing to bear in mind is the location which is a bit of a walk to downtown. Also it is very close to the highway so east facing units may get more noise than we did on the west side which does get some railway noise but no concern for us. Could also use some TLC it is already looking a bit worn.
Again thank you to Daniel for looking after us so well.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thanks to you Habs19 for staying with us for 5 days!!! I will be sure to let Daniel know that you enjoyed his services!!! It is so nice when a guest remembers our employees names and recognizes them on Trip Advisor!! We look forward to your next stay with us!!

Been to Silver Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!