“The most disgusting place in the world” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Akai Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Canmore
Akai Motel
You added Akai Motel to your Saves list
1717 Mountain Avenue, Canmore, Alberta T1W 2W1, Canada   |
Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Canmore
Calgary
“The most disgusting place in the world”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

In March 2010. I had to stay in the crack house called The Akai. I have to say this motel is the most repulsive place I had stayed in. When we checked in there was an Asian Guy at the front desk, " if you want to call it that" that was drunk. You can smell the booze off his breath and when he talked it all went into one word. Then he gave us a room and when we got to the first room he gave us it was not even done. The room had dirty dishes in the sink and the bed was not made there was garbage everywhere and smelled like something died in it. So then we went back to front desk and asked to have a different room because the one he gave us was dirty. So he was mad and made some comments under his breath and gave us a different room. Once we got into the room that we stayed in for a few hours. The room was so grimy and unsanitary, that I didn't want to touch anything. I looked under the bed and there was moldy food and a sock that must have been there for a month or so because the amount of dust that was on it, the walls where so dirty it looked like there was a film of smoke on the walls mixed with vegetable oil. The room smelled like the back of a dump truck and nothing worked in the room. The little kitchenette was like looking into a crack house kitchen you see on the movies. The cups where dirty and dishes still had food stuck to them. The silverware where as bad and the tips of the knives where burnt. The bathroom was bad!!! Nothing was clean the toilet was almost black and the bathtub had a dark ring around it. The heat in the place was not working and everything was just so awful. But the far most revolting thing that happen that night was when we turned off the lights and got into bed just after a few minutes when it was dark you started to hear things move in the walls on the floor everywhere it was like sleeping in the forest that was infested with bugs. Then my wife looked at me and said that she thinks she felt something by her foot, so then she jumped out of bed and I pulled the sheets back and seen a huge cockroach or some kind of beetle but after smashing it with my boot and trying to kill it it just would not die. So I cornered it and picked it up with paper towel and flushed it in the toilet that's when we got our cloths on and left. I didn't even want to go to front desk and deal with a refund or talk to the drunk staff about this! I just needed to get the hell out of there!!! If I had to rate this place from 1-10 i would give it a number so low that even the lowest number to man would still be not enough. I would not recommend this motel/hole in the ground to anyone!!!! So if you want to deal with something you would in like an episode of trailer park boys then by all means go to the Akai... But if your someone that is just a bit clean find a different motel there are a lot in Canmore that are clean and nice and allowed pets

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

I stayed in this little place in Canmore, Alberta not too long ago as my 3 friends and I traveled through the Banff area and I must say there was no better value in the Rockies. I don't think this place is the best motel/hotel in the world but as we were very conscious of the limited spending budget this place fit the bill perfectly. We were going to stay at the hostel but found out the pricing was actually better when you counted all 4 of us!! And we even had our own kitchen and bathroom!! The room we stayed was clean and quiet. The manager was very friendly and courteous. He was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of tips and information about touring the Rocky area. I'd definitely use this motel again and recommend to other friends and families.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
fdaddy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We had a hard time finding a clean motel at a decent price in Banff, so we decided to try the next town, Canmore,
At travel info centre, we were told about Akai Motel and when I called to find out about the price, I was almost shocked by their good price.

I was unsure about the place so we decided to see the room first.

The staffs were incredibly wonderful, especially the manager who told us he used to be a tour guide in the mountain gave us all kind of information about the mountain and even planned our following day schedule for us,

Each rooms were equipped with little kitchen, beds were confortable, had free wireless internet, which we didn't expect and it was very clean.

We will definately recommend this motel to everyone I know plus more.

If you are looking for a place to stay overnight and don't want to spend mega bucks for all the facilities you don't even get to use, this motel is the one you are looking for

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

We stayed at the Akai prior to running the Melissa's Road Race in Banff in September 2008. This is hands down the most awful place I have ever stayed in and I really hope I never stay at a place as bad as this again. The "motel rooms" were essentially a bunch of ATCO trailers hammered together to resemble a building with a super long hallway.

The room we got came with a kitchenette and the appliances/counters/cupboards looked like the kind you would see in a run down crackhouse, everything was so old and disgusting in there that I didn't dare make any food for fear of getting sick. The dishes provided in the kitchenette cupboards were all scratched up, unmatched and looked like they were purchased from a Salvation Army used bargain bin.

The cleanliness of the room was well below standard. The carpets were so stained and gross looking that I wouldn't take off my outdoor shoes in the motel room since I was afraid of what could be living in that carpet. It appeared that the cleaning staff never made any effort to vacuum under the beds either since there was lots of dust bunnies, dirt, crumbs, and unknown debris under the bed that absolutely revolted me.

The motel beds were extremely uncomfortable. After just one night sleeping there, I had a very sore back that lasted almost 48 hours. My sore back ended up affecting my running race the next morning and I'm sure I would have performed better if I could have slept in a comfortable bed the night before.

We had our extended family staying in two other motel rooms at the Akai the same night we stayed there and their feedback about the rooms was almost the same as ours, absolutely terrible and the worst place they have ever stayed.

The only thing good about the Akai is that they allow pets so we were allowed to bring along our dog with us overnight (which is the reason we chose this motel to start with).

Even though this might be the only motel in Canmore that allows pets, the management seems to make no effort to keep the rooms clean or even comfortable for their guests. It still makes me shudder to think of my awful experience at this hell motel!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family

Been to Akai Motel? Share your experiences!