“Good Affordable Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Akai Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Canmore
Akai Motel
1717 Mountain Avenue, Canmore, Alberta T1W 2W1, Canada   |
Ranked #26 of 33 hotels in Canmore
Saint Thomas, Canada
“Good Affordable Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

This place improves a lot compare to one year ago I stayed. Clean, comportable & well trained staffs..... What else you want regraing this price.
I strongly recommend this motel.
Good Value!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

9 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Grande Prairie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

There were bugs crawling on the floor and two large flies in the room when we checked in. The grout in the shower had black mold all over it and there was some sort of weird green permanent crust around the base of the plug up to the tap. The tap in the sink leaked ALL night. Half of the dishes in the cupboard were dirty and we found hair (which appeared to be dog hair) all over the blanket that covered the sheets.

I have never been so disgusted at an establishment in my life. The worst of it is that we paid $95.00 for a double room, plus tax. We stayed a couple of nights and didn't receive housekeeping service ONCE. I don't understand how the owner justifies the price when you don't even receive fresh towels or amenities.

The Asian man at the Front Desk was awful. He wasn't able to help with ANY of our problems and he was extremely patronizing, rude and did nothing in the means of customer service. Our air conditioner didn't have any knobs on it and I tried to explain this to the Front Desk man. He then smugly tried to show me how to use the Air conditioner in the lobby. Once he realized he hadn't understood me correctly, he had to pull the knobs off of the air conditioner in the lobby and made me attempt to go back to my room and use those, and then the AC STILL didn't work.

They have *COMPLIMENTARY* wireless internet, but it doesn't connect, so if they mention that as a perk...you're going to spend half the night trying to get it to work just to find out that it doesn't. No Laundry facilities or restaurant on site.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Find a cleaner room for $5.00 more a night somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Oak Park, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Staying one night on our way through. Nice amenities, price is right. Clean and well taken care of.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2010

Not fit for human habitation + Worst service ever = The Akai. This place would get a no star rating if this system allowed that. My expectations were low to begin with, but it's mind blowing a place this filthy can be allowed to remain in business. I took a room at the Akai in August 2010 only because there was nothing else left in Canmore due to the long weekend. The room was not yet clean when I checked in at 2:30 pm and was told I could not see it. The service at this point was very courteous, but I should have walked away right then. I went by later and got my key, and went to the event I was attending. After arriving back to my room, # 41, early in the morning, I was greeted by the smell of rotting garbage, mold in the shower and no shower head, urine and hair on the bathroom floor behind the toilet, dried up food in the sink and fridge, and the dirtiest dark blue carpet I have ever seen. The cleanest thing in the room was the sheets on the bed. When I pulled these back to look at them, I happened to lean over the other side of the bed, and there was a half decayed pork chop on the floor. This was company to the pop bottles, hair, bottle caps and dirty kleenex also under the bed. There was no one in the office until 8:30 am, so I spent an uncomfortable night in my truck. My choice, right? When I approached the owner/manager in the morning, he didn't offer so much as an apology when I showed him the pork chop and flat out refused a refund or any other kind of reparation. After an attempt to reason with him and explain why the condition of the room was so poor I did not sleep in the room, he told me to get out and that he was calling the police. At this point, I am still a registered "guest", if only on paper, and have not even so much as raised my voice. I told him to yes please call the police, I would be happy to show them my room. Needless to say, I did not get my $107 back. If your last resort is the Akai, then you're better off sleeping in the park - it's cleaner.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

In March 2010. I had to stay in the crack house called The Akai. I have to say this motel is the most repulsive place I had stayed in. When we checked in there was an Asian Guy at the front desk, " if you want to call it that" that was drunk. You can smell the booze off his breath and when he talked it all went into one word. Then he gave us a room and when we got to the first room he gave us it was not even done. The room had dirty dishes in the sink and the bed was not made there was garbage everywhere and smelled like something died in it. So then we went back to front desk and asked to have a different room because the one he gave us was dirty. So he was mad and made some comments under his breath and gave us a different room. Once we got into the room that we stayed in for a few hours. The room was so grimy and unsanitary, that I didn't want to touch anything. I looked under the bed and there was moldy food and a sock that must have been there for a month or so because the amount of dust that was on it, the walls where so dirty it looked like there was a film of smoke on the walls mixed with vegetable oil. The room smelled like the back of a dump truck and nothing worked in the room. The little kitchenette was like looking into a crack house kitchen you see on the movies. The cups where dirty and dishes still had food stuck to them. The silverware where as bad and the tips of the knives where burnt. The bathroom was bad!!! Nothing was clean the toilet was almost black and the bathtub had a dark ring around it. The heat in the place was not working and everything was just so awful. But the far most revolting thing that happen that night was when we turned off the lights and got into bed just after a few minutes when it was dark you started to hear things move in the walls on the floor everywhere it was like sleeping in the forest that was infested with bugs. Then my wife looked at me and said that she thinks she felt something by her foot, so then she jumped out of bed and I pulled the sheets back and seen a huge cockroach or some kind of beetle but after smashing it with my boot and trying to kill it it just would not die. So I cornered it and picked it up with paper towel and flushed it in the toilet that's when we got our cloths on and left. I didn't even want to go to front desk and deal with a refund or talk to the drunk staff about this! I just needed to get the hell out of there!!! If I had to rate this place from 1-10 i would give it a number so low that even the lowest number to man would still be not enough. I would not recommend this motel/hole in the ground to anyone!!!! So if you want to deal with something you would in like an episode of trailer park boys then by all means go to the Akai... But if your someone that is just a bit clean find a different motel there are a lot in Canmore that are clean and nice and allowed pets

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

I stayed in this little place in Canmore, Alberta not too long ago as my 3 friends and I traveled through the Banff area and I must say there was no better value in the Rockies. I don't think this place is the best motel/hotel in the world but as we were very conscious of the limited spending budget this place fit the bill perfectly. We were going to stay at the hostel but found out the pricing was actually better when you counted all 4 of us!! And we even had our own kitchen and bathroom!! The room we stayed was clean and quiet. The manager was very friendly and courteous. He was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of tips and information about touring the Rocky area. I'd definitely use this motel again and recommend to other friends and families.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
fdaddy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

We had a hard time finding a clean motel at a decent price in Banff, so we decided to try the next town, Canmore,
At travel info centre, we were told about Akai Motel and when I called to find out about the price, I was almost shocked by their good price.

I was unsure about the place so we decided to see the room first.

The staffs were incredibly wonderful, especially the manager who told us he used to be a tour guide in the mountain gave us all kind of information about the mountain and even planned our following day schedule for us,

Each rooms were equipped with little kitchen, beds were confortable, had free wireless internet, which we didn't expect and it was very clean.

We will definately recommend this motel to everyone I know plus more.

If you are looking for a place to stay overnight and don't want to spend mega bucks for all the facilities you don't even get to use, this motel is the one you are looking for

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Akai Motel? Share your experiences!