“A real treat for special occasions!” 5 of 5 stars

+1 403-609-0583
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Tapas Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 103 Restaurants in Canmore
Cuisines: Tapas
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th Ave
Description: Oted most Romantic Restaurant in the Rockies, we are tucked off Main Street Canmore in a charming character house. Tapas offers the lively fusion of Spanish and Old World flavours created by our kitchen team. We have designed a menu of specialty dishes that are prepared to order from the freshest ingredients available. All stocks, sauces and desserts are made by our Chef Dan Purvis in house. Our menu offers gluten free and vegetarian options. Share several plates amongst friends in the intimate dining room with Spanish style murals and high back leather chairs. We also have an eclectic attic with slanted ceilings and low windows which is great for small parties. Don't forget to visit us in the summer where you can enjoy tapas on our Mediterranean- style deck with lovely al fresco ambiance. And most importantly, be sure to try our house made Sangria (white or red) or choose a lovely Spanish Cava or wine from our Wine Menu. Want to bring your own wine, we offer a $20 corkage fee as well.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A real treat for special occasions!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I asked a friend to recommend a restaurant for me to take my partner to for his birthday, and she suggested The Trough and Tapas. I was willing to spend a bit of money due to the special occasion and had always wanted to try Tapas so I decided to give it a go, and I wasn't disappointed!

When we arrived, we were given the choice of being seated inside or out. We sat on their patio which is nicely sheltered so even though it was a little rainy and very windy we were still able to enjoy our meal comfortably. I cannot attest to the interior of the restaurant but from what I did see, It seemed to be an intimate and cosy dining area. If i can say one thing about this restaurant, they know how to create the perfect atmosphere and deliver an amazing dining experience.

When I know a restaurant puts effort into using the best available ingredients and is committed to putting out a great product for the customer, I am more willing to part with extra money, and this was certainly the case with Tapas. While the price was steep, I can't say there was a single dish i was unimpressed with. Each dish costs around $15 with some specialty dishes costing around $20 each, but don't let this put you off as the portion sizes are perfect for sharing. The menu is very inventive and flavours are paired very nicely to bring out the quality of the food.

The host who seated us seemed rather quiet and awkward (unless he was having a bad day or something) but our waiter was amazing. Super friendly, attentive, welcoming and he was very knowledgable about the menu, which is one of the most important things i look for in a waiter. It shows he puts the effort into his job and I wish I could remember his name so I could commend him properly.

Overall my partner was very impressed and we had a wonderful evening, sharing about 6 plates between us including desert. I had their famous and highly recommended sangria and loved it! They ran out of the beer my partner was drinking and our waiter recommended a similar beer that he ended up liking even more than his usual corona.

I would definitely not recommend taking younger children to this restaurant, as it is very much an adult dining experience, the sort of place you go with a group of friends or a significant other. It also is more of a restaurant that I personally would reserve for special occasions. This is no reflection on Tapas, as if I had the money to go there more often I certainly would. Our total bill including drinks came to just shy of $100 but It was well worth it to me considering the quality of the meal, the incredible atmosphere and outstanding service, as well as it's downtown Canmore location. We also found the food very filling and certainly didn't leave hungry.

When you visit Canmore and Banff you should expect to pay significantly more than most places as the remote location increases costs and most local businesses are committed to providing locally sourced, organic foods, as well as products that are made fresh in house. If you seriously expect to get an evening meal at a local restaurant down town in the mountains for less than $30-$40 per person, then maybe you should try the fast food restaurants on the outskirts of town. For a special occasion, Tapas is my new go-to!

Qualicum Beach
“Travelling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

This place is a treasure. The wait staff are charming and the food was excellent. The chocolate mousse, while not really a mousse is just wonderful. Would recommend it to anyone going to Canmore.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Calgary, Canada
“The best tapas ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Had the most amazing meal here while spending the weekend in Canmore. The food was to die for; we had toastadas, mushrooms, patatas bravas, prawns and the highlight of the evening - the mussels. We enjoyed every minute of this meal, including the lovely sangria. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was great too. A wonderful meal!

Winnipeg
“Excellent Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This place is amazing! My fiance and I tried the Serrano Ham and Chorizo Tostadas, the prawns, brie stuffed mushroom, lamb stew and the steak. Everything was excellent but our favourites were the tostadas and the stew. Another must is the sangria!! One of the best we've had. Can't wait to go back the next time we're in Canmore!

Calgary, Canada
“Great date night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Wow, what a gem. You feel welcomed right off the start. All the staff were so good, taking the time to explain the Tapas concept and answer any questions. We told our waiter we wanted an ocean theme and he made great suggestions. Salmon tartar, Ceasar salad, asparagus and mussels in blue cheese and sweet chili sauce. Flavors were all good. Only 4 wait staff, but somehow they took care of everyone in the restaurant. It's an hour away from Calgary, but definitely worth the trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere