“I'd say OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Viva Mexico Restaurant

Viva Mexico Restaurant
20505 Fraser Highway, Langley City, British Columbia, Canada (Douglas)
604 532-7708
Improve this listing
Ranked #93 of 281 Restaurants in Langley City
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Douglas
Vancouver, Canada
“I'd say OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

After reading all the review for this place, I expected slow service, disinterested staff, weak drinks but pretty good food. My experience - and of course any day of the week it might be different - was exactly the opposite.

First: the staff (young lady serving, middle-aged guy at the bar) was friendly. At 5 pm on a Sunday there were people at half the tables - given that is SUPER early for dinner, I was a bit surprised. By the time we left, most tables were taken. Must be a local favorite.

We were greeted, given our menus and asked if we'd like a drink. We ordered the Sunday special, Caesars at $3.95 each. Actually they were pretty tasty - and given that drinks these days run $5-$7.50 in many places, a decent "special" price.

We ordered enchiladas and chimichangas which both came with refried beans and rice for $11.95 each. They were served up pretty quickly so I don't understand earlier complaints about slow service.

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of Mexican rice (sometimes called "Spanish" rice but that over-cooked rice with a tomato sauce is really a Mexican & maybe a Central American thing. Thankfully, you never see it in Spain or South Amercia. There rice was no better/worse than what is typically served in a Mexican restaurant north of Mexico. I do wish that restuarants offered whole beans as an option to refried beans - which tend to be too soupy and end up mixing with everything on the plate (although I realize that's what some people love about them...) These were, as the rice, par for the course in BC - although I admit I liked them much better than the over-cooked rice I guess because refried beans get better the longer they cook!

The chimichangas were crispy and tasty, the enchiladas were good - but for me the enchilada is as much about the masa of the tortilla and the sauce as the filling: those were fine - better than in many places around the Lower Mainland, but nothing really special. There should be (IMHO) a little more "kick" and flavor than they provided.

All in all - if I were craving Mexican food - I think I'd wait until the craving stopped. That being said, of the three places for Mexican food I've tried in Langley, this was the best.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Langley, Canada
“Fantastic Mexico flavour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

The food in this restaurant is always good. I have been there many times for lunch and dinner and have tried many dishes. I have never been disappointed. Sometimes they are busy and the service can be a bit slow but it is always worth waiting for. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone wanting good Mexican food at an equally good price.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Langley City, Canada
“love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Great food and drinks for good prices. Fun atmosphere. Bright and colourful decor and humorous signage. I love the quesadillas

Visited June 2013
Langley City, Canada
“Great Neighbourhood Spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We live close enough to the US border and when we venture South of the line to go shopping we often stop at a Mexican restaurant for a nice lunch or dinner. We have remarked on a few occasions how nice it would be to have a nice little Mexican restaurant in our neighbourhood. Well there is, and it took us way too long to find Viva Mexico.

Obviously, more people have found it as well, as this Saturday night even though we were early, it was hopping and just getting busier. We commented to our waitress that it was busy, and she said not really, they often have a good line up out the door.

Inside is a cozy, warm, loud, very Mexican-looking room combo. Kind of like a big room, an add on nook, and in the summer a great looking patio. Viva must be paying attention to their reviews, because tonight, the service was topnotch. If it was slow and uneven in the past, it certainly was perfect tonight. Our waitress was quick and attentive, without being pushy or rushed. The owner checked on us as well after we got our main courses.

As for the food, I'm going to say it was good, if not great. The chips and salsa and guacamole dip was good. I like my salsa with a bit more kick and simply added some hot sauce at the table. My partners enchiladas and my chimichanga were served piping hot, and nicely prepared. I asked for extra spice on my dish and I think they either forgot, or just don't do too spicy. In any event, it was tasty - I just would have liked it kicked up a notch.

For a nice casual night out with great service, warm surroundings and hearty food, give Viva a try. We will be back.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Bulldogg...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

U have to try their bulldogg. Love the waiter vincent.. we have a great time chstying with him. He teaches us spanish and we have good laughs. Fish taco, never had b4 and this was amazing. Loved everything about this place

• Visited September 2013