“Worst sleep in years” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Langley

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Langley to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Langley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8750 204th Street, Langley City, British Columbia V1M 2Y5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE between 10-30%!
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Langley City
Kelowna, Canada
“Worst sleep in years”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I have stayed here a few times per year for the past few years. I usually rate this hotel highly for its many strengths. It is always neat and tidy, clean and modern, and the staff have been generally helpful. The breakfast is above-average, and the pool area is nice.

What ruined my stay this time was the bonehead who wired the HVAC unit in the room to a motion sensor and timer. The heating, AC, or fan will remain on so long as people are moving in the room. Approximately 60-90 minutes after sensing no movement in the room, it will shut itself off. As a result, after setting the room to comfortable conditions and crawling into bed, you will likely wake up later in the night to find the room uncomfortably hot, cold, or stagnant. I had to get out of bed repeatedly through the night and walk in front of the motion sensor in order the get the HVAC running again. While I realize this was likely installed as an energy-saving feature, I seriously question the intellectual capacity of the person who decided to have this installed in such a way. It boggles my mind. As a result, I spent most of the night trying to get back to sleep. The first night I thought it was just my wife turning it off, but realized part way through the second night what was going on. I was too tired to bring it up with the staff before leaving, as I had a long drive home and wanted to get there before falling asleep.

Another thing I found tacky was they way they do not honor the BC Gov't Employee rates as negotiated by the province of BC. I have always had them book the room as such, only to find they bill $3-$10 above the negotiated rate. I have brought this to their attention in the past, and even brought in the rate schedule to show them, but they seem surprised to see this. They have eventually agreed to bill at the proper price. However, I have finally gotten tired of having to haggle for the correct rate and just payed it. For a hotel that seems to take pride in its attention to detail, I find it hard to believe this is merely an accident. I find it distasteful and tacky. Minor, but perhaps telling.

Finally, I found the beds hard and springy, though this may just come down to a matter of personal preference.

I left my 2 night stay feeling exhausted, and will consider other hotels in the area next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
YLGCA, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Langley, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your detailed and candid feedback, and for your continued patronage as a return customer. Your recognition of our strengths is also genuinely appreciated.
Your comments regarding the energy saving feature of the A/C system will be closely examined and studied by our management team. The system, as you have mentioned, has been in place for years with satisfactory results, however it does not mean that we cannot seek ways to more efficiently regulate airflow while saving energy with better technologies that may be available nowadays. With that said, we might have been able to come up with a more immediate workaround for you prior to your departure, should be able to share your dissatisfaction with us during your stay.

It was not our intention to confuse or not honor our customer with the BC government rate which we have been proudly offering for more than a decade, and it does fluctuate season to season and year to year. There could have been some inadvertent programming gaps which have caused the confusion. In light of this, we have since reviewed and recalibrated all our systems with the official government procurement directory to ensure that everything is accurately synchronized and displayed. I can assure you that similar confusion will not happen again in the future.

On behalf of the team, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you had experienced during your stay and express our appreciation for your constructive feedback. In addition, I would like to personally discuss your comments with you in finer details and hope to invite you back in the near future. Please email myself at jleung@hielangley.com at your convenience.

Regards,

Jeff Leung

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel seemed newer, but also seemed run down for its age. We stayed here for one night. It is a convenient location. The room was clean. The décor was cheaply selected. There was no King size beds (left?) so we stayed in 2 queens. The beds were ok. I'm picky when it comes to hotels and this did the job for the night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Langley, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear GoldenLoverinAB,

Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I've stayed here a few times for business over the last couple months. I would say the things I like about it are: Very reasonable price. Location is just off the hwy which is great, lots of restaurants near by. Fast internet. Good complimentary breakfast. Clean rooms. Friendly staff. What I would like is if it had a restaurant attached for room service and silencers installed on the ice machines(or just a room further away). A great option in Langley.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Winfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We have always had excellent experiences at Holiday Inn Express hotels and this was no exception. Clean, friendly and well maintained. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and the spacious bathroom was a nice feature. Would defintely return to this property on future visits to the Lower Mainland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the entrance side of the hotel. Being on the freeway side is a little noisier if...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Port Hardy, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We've stayed at this property on a number of occasions. They provided a welcome bag on arrival. Staff were accommodating. Rooms pretty new & nice. Serve complementary breakfast, moderate number of choices by standard "free breakfast" type food. Prices were not great. We ended up trying out some other properties in the area (there are quite a few), because we found the price on this one a bit high.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Very clean and comfortable! Great location, easy to get to and very close to US border, White Rock, and Ferry to Vancouver Island. Staff are helpful and very pleasant. Breakfast included! We always stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The hotel location is right near the highway but also has quick access to several local restaurants as well as the Colossus Theatre. The staff are friendly and helpful and the hotel is quite clean and well maintained.

Room Tip: Avoid the corner rooms next to the very noisy ice machines. Less of an issue unless you like your wi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Langley? Share your experiences!