I have long wanted to stay at Spirit Ridge and it took several years of trying before we managed to exchange one of our timeshares for a week here.
As far as I can determine S.Ridge has hotel rooms, owned suites sold like condos, and timeshare units. No one really explained it to me properly.
The location of the complex is high, surrounded by the Nk'mip vineyards, and overlooks Osoyoos Lake to the west. We can see the town of Osoyoos on the other side. Below us right on the beach is the Nk'mip RV park, big and modern. Behind us is a rocky mountain and the 9-hole golf course.
Our one-bedroom suite is much smaller than any Interval International timeshare we've stayed in before. Not that it's a problem, the suite is fine for two. Not so sure it would be great with four guests. One bathroom and a fully equipped kitchen. The living room has a gas fireplace and a small balcony with an electric bbq, which didn't work when we stayed here. There is a spa here too.
For the first time in twenty years of exchanging time shares, we had to pay $40 per night to get a view suite. We've always had a view wherever we've stayed previously. Also, these units do not have a laundry—that is one floor up and you have to pay for both the washer and dryer. A bit surprising, but not that serious.
From Spirit Ridge visitors are about 15-20 minutes from the "Golden Mile" which runs from Osoyoos to Oliver. This is the premier grape growing area in the southern Okanagan, and vineyards along with orchards line the valley floor on both sides and rise up the lower slopes of the surrounding mountains. Wine tasting is what we came for and we have loved how close the wineries are to each other. Some of the wineries also house award-winning restos and we've eaten at three, enjoying wonderful creations of the top chefs.
Spirit Ridge also boasts the superb Nk'Mip Desert Cultural Centre. This is a must-do tour of the pocket desert, the only desert in Canada. I did it in a golf cart, but younger and fitter visitors hike the trails keeping an eye out for rattlesnakes. Okanagan Indian Band lead the tours and give commentaries that are full of history, the flora and fauna, folklore and their myths. Magic!
Nk'Mip Cellars are in this complex too and the hotel and winery restos in Spirit Ridge serve excellent, creative food with local produce. The golf club also has a cafe where anyone can enjoy more standard fare after a round.
Apart from the small hiccups we encountered, Spirit Ridge is a good place to relax or explore. I would like to be able to click on a "Good" button, in between "average" and "excellent" but TripAdvisor does not have one.
- Also Known As:
- Spirit Ridge Vineyard Hotel Osoyoos
- Spirit Ridge Vineyard Resort And Spa
- Spirit Ridge Vineyard Hotel
- Spirit Ridge Vineyard Osoyoos
- Spirit Ridge Osoyoos
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SNOWBIRDS WELCOME!A true oasis, Spirit Ridge Vineyard Resort & Spa places you in the heart of South Okanagan's rich cultural landscape and wine county in Osoyoos, British Columbia, an area know as "Napa of the North". Surrounded by dramatic sun-drenched landscapes, miles of vineyards and views to Lake Osoyoos' warm, blue waters, Spirit Ridge's vacation rentals are within reach of desert golf, luxurious spa experiences and unique cultural opportunities at the cultural centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Tingo, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Spirit Ridge Vineyard Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.