“Golf - wine tours and sunshine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Destiny Beach Resort

You added Destiny Beach Resort to your Saves list
Destiny Beach Resort
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Magnolia Drive, Osoyoos, British Columbia V0H 1V1, Canada   |
Ranked #17 of 27 Hotels in Osoyoos
Vancouver, Canada
“Golf - wine tours and sunshine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

This is the second stay at Destiny Beach for myself and spouse. This time we attended with a group of 14 golfers and a few non golfers. Like the last time we stayed, the units were clean, and were ready for us on check in. We ate together as a group near the beach and had breakfast together on the upper deck.

From the time that we made the tentative booking in February to actually staying at the resort, both Chris and Trish were so helpful with both the bookings, adding rooms, making suggestions on change up of rooms plus!

I have been asked by the golf group to make this an annual event - and we might just do that.

My suggestion to any other group - have the parties book their own units - they can go on the web and see what the rooms look like, as well as the guide for the rooms that Trish and Chris have developed.

I have to say that all our group felt welcome when they arrived at the resort.

Pets allowed in off season - this is a plus

Room Tip: Take a look at the resort web site
  • Stayed April 2011
DestinyBeachResort, Manager at Destiny Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
Let us begin by saying we thank you for taking the time in posting your comments on this website. We are equally pleased to hear that members of your golfing group had an enjoyable time as well.
We hope to see you back at Destiny and look forward to the opportunity of assisting your group accommodation needs. Our door is always open and our hotelier service skills are waiting.

Destiny Beach Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

I stayed here with my partner for a couple days this past summer. The owner stated right away how he didn't like children/teenagers. My partner and I are 25 and somehow we were lumped into this category by the owner and were treated as such. Anyone under the age of 40 was not "allowed" to use the pool from 1-3pm ( absolutely ridiculous). Instead of letting us pay at the end of our stay each night he would come by and rudely demand the nightly amount by banging on the door. The room was dirty and stuffy. We felt unwelcome the entire time. I would advise anyone under the age of 40 to stay away from this place...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
africa05, Manager at Destiny Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Our sincerest apologies for the issues you have raised. It appears that we fell short of conveying customer service standards that allowed you and your spouse to enjoy a two night stay with us. In essence, we fell short of providing you an enjoyable time here and It is our hope that this does not place us in permanent disfavor with you.
In closing, it should be noted that the adult pool time swimming hours are 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm and that children are not permitted in the pool, giving adults such as yourself a little "me" time.

Christopher Arbique
Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

We have stayed at the Destiny for the past two summers and allready booked for 2011.There is no place we would rather stay. We fell in love with the place right away and with the hospitality of Chris and Trish. They are great hosts and we consider them friends.The motel is clean and quiet and sits on the quiet side of the lake in a residential neighborhood with beautiful homes.Agreat place for families with its pool and canoe for a nice ride around the lake.We will be going back for as long as they own and run the motel.Take it from me .If you want agreat family holiday this is the place to be.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
africa05, Manager at Destiny Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post the information noted.
It is our hope that you will return for years to come as well.

Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

My family and I recently spent a week in the South Okanagan community of Osoyoos in support of my little sister participating for the first time in the Ironman Canada Penticton Triathlon. We had been planning our trip for several months and originally were planning to camp north/east of Penticton. However, after learning of other family members planning to attend the race and their plans to stay in Osoyoos, we cancelled our camping plans and beagn searching for reasonable accommodations in Osoyoos.

Of course this was all about one month before the Ironman and accommodation availability was definitely limited in the South Okanagan at this time of year. After scouring on-line for several hours we found a number of accommodations available in and around Osoyoos that appeared suitable for a family of 5 (kids aged 3, 5 and 8). We were looking for a total of 6 nights and in addition wanted to bring our boat along to enjoy on the waters of Lake Osoyoos.

Osoyoos has a fair number of hotels and resorts “along the strip” that splits the lake almost in half. The north side of the strip is very busy and popular with tourists. There are number of chain branded hotels which are fairly old and are typical of what you find in most cities. Most have some private beach access and can accommodate boats but being on the north side of the strip are quite pricey – we were looking at around $280 per night on average at the chains. There are a couple of very nice new resorts that are also suitable for families but they are much pricier and were fully booked so they were not an option for us at all.

So after hours of disappointment of searching out accommodations on line, I stumbled upon Destiny Beach Resort deep in the Google search pages. I checked out the website and it is very simple but very informative. I’ll tell you right now that the website accurately represents what Destiny Beach Resort is and has to offer. The pictures are not enhanced nor do they only showcase the good. In fact one of the most unusual things I encountered on the website were the testimonials, good AND bad! How often do you see honest testimonials on a hotel website? The other thing that was impressive about the testimonials is the owners addressed the concerns in the testimonials, and not in a defensive way. Yes I definitely started to get a sense this place was somewhat different.

So as I delved deeper into the information in the website I learned the Resort changed owners about three years ago. Since then the owners have been working hard in the offseason to update the resort from datedness that occurs over some 50 years. It is a small resort with only 14 or so units on two floors with outside access – much like a small motel you’d see in any city. On the website there is a downloadable PDF that describes each room, its size and layout in addition to suitability for guest numbers. Very useful information indeed. The pictures on the website portray the cleanliness and amenities which turned out to be a very fair representation.

With that information in hand we called for availability and reservations and were fortunate enough to get a booking. The new owners, husband and wife, Trish and Chris were absolutely fantastic from the get go. They are very hands on; making sure everything has their own personal touch. Trish handled our booking and confirmation and was extremely helpful. We immediately felt very comfortable with our booking and we hadn’t even set foot in the place. Originally our booking was split between two rooms (requiring us to change rooms mid-stay due to availability) but a few days after our booking Chris called offering us a one room for the full stay. Awesome service!

On the date of our arrival we were very late – we called ahead to Trish to warn her we were going to be in around 11pm. No problem she said – she’d leave the room unlocked with the keys and everything we’d need for our arrival. And that is exactly how it went with no problems!

Our room was on the top floor very near the gathering area and entry is by a sliding glass door. The room had a separate bedroom with bunkbeds and a single bed for the kids and the main area had a queen size bed and kitchenette. In addition there is a full bathroom. The room was very clean and had some updating complete but this is a 50 year old building after all so it does have some character to it! But the most important thing is it was clean, comfortable and roomy enough for our family of five. Perfect. Now let me talk about the outdoor amenities.

The resort has a heated swimming pool steps from your front door (with plenty of area for seating and observing small children) that is meticulously maintained by Chris. It seemed Trish and Chris were constantly outside cleaning/maintaining/fixing etc. – not sure when they get a break, LOL! A really cool feature is the covered outdoor gathering area upstairs that overlooks the pool complete with complementary barbecue, couches and table to hang out and relax. There is also a barbecue downstairs near the pool and another at the beach. Speaking of the beach, it is very private, has a covered gazebo with couches and table, along with soothing music piped into outdoor speakers, a fine sand beach which is cleaned and raked each morning by Chris. In addition there is a fresh herb garden and tomato plants available for the guests to pick and choose at their leisure. This resort set up very much reminds me of similar resorts I have experienced in Mexico.

The beach while small, leads to the warm Lake Osoyoos and its shallow clear waters. There is a small dock to accommodate boats and/or cast fishing attempts. Speaking of boats, the resort offers two anchored buoys to tie off boats for overnight stays – the resort does not have a boat launch but there is one about 1 km away at Haynes Point – in fact you can see the launch from the resort’s beach. There is also a swim platform anchored at about a five foot depth that is great fun for all. In addition, there is a kids paddle boat to tool around in and kayak and canoe available for guests. You could easily spend a week just hanging out at this resort with everything it has to offer.

I need to talk about one unheralded feature of this resort and that is its location. As I mentioned this resort is about 50 years old and I’m not sure what was around it at the time it was built but it is now part of a residential subdivision that has grown up all round it. Chris and Trish know all their neighbours and along with being only 14 or so units, lends nicely to its family oriented charm and sense of safety and security. It is located at the end of a residential cul-de-sac so there are literally no traffic worries. It is very quiet and peaceful. But the best part is the lake location – the resort is on the south side of the Osoyoos Lake split near Hayne Point. This is the very quiet and non-busy side of the lake. You have ABSOLUTELY no concerns about security and safety at this resort which makes it IMHO the most suitable family style resort in town!

Like most hotels in Osoyoos, on-site parking can be an issue, especially if you have a boat trailer. Not to fear, the town of Osoyoos has a secured boat trailer parking facility that is just off the strip and literally minutes from the resort. It is open from 7 am to 8 pm and accommodates easily 100 trailers. If full there is an overflow next to it that is unsecure, but does not seem to be an issue. We happily left our boat and trailer all week long at the secured facility which by the way is FREE! As mentioned you can just as easily leave your boat moored to one of the two anchor buoys at the resort.

Okay, one last final point – value for money. This family friendly, homey feeling resort with almost Mexican resort type flair to it has got to be the bargain of the century in Osoyoos. Our 6 night stay for our family of 5 with all the amenities was less than HALF of what the cheapest chain hotel on the strip was offering. Unbelievable value. Throw in the absolutely wonderful personal touch of Chris and Trish and this resort experience knocked our socks off. We will be back next year and the year after and the year after that… because we had so much fun – what a great vacation stay!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
DestinyBeachResort, Manager at Destiny Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
We are aware we are an older property, but one that offers an open canvas from which families and friends can share in a place to sketch, "connect."
We are very pleased to hear that your family had an enjoyable time with us and and thank you for taking the time in posting such candid comments. We hope to see you again soon too.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I came to this "resort" hoping to do a little work and spend some time with my family. Unfortunately my experience was not a good one. Firstly, when I entered my room, it smelled musty. There was a couch in my room which you wouldn't let your dog sleep on. It was stained and worn and looked like it was salvaged off the street because Value Village wouldn't even accept this as a donation.

The bed spread looked worn and dirty. I was afraid to sleep in my bed until I covered the whole thing with a clean sheet. The kitchen had a fridge in it that was a relic from the 60's and the decor was a miss mash of items that were probably donated by the Salvation Army.
The bathroom, although relatively clean was a combination of old linoleum flooring with porcelain tile mixed in it to repair the holes. Perhaps they didn't have a budget to use one type of flooring material and had to pick scraps to put it together.

I paid $159 for this college dorm room from Animal House. The common areas on the decks and by the lake were also icky with cloth couches placed in areas where the elements would get at it. Who would put indoor furniture (ugly to boot) outdoors!!! It looked like low life trailer park squatters had moved into the area.

Also, the top decks on the second floor would cast off fumes of a polyethylene vapor which was nauseous to inhale as the sun melted the deck's surface.

Will probably stay on the other side of the lake next time I come to Osoyoos and stay at the Hilton where rates were much less and you get much more!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
While we try to do our best, it is evident that we didn't benchmark the attributes of what you had planned by way of an enjoyable holiday with us. While being compared to Animal House isn't exactly flattering, we appreciate your open comments.
Since this post, we've taken some of your recommendations and have made some changes to our units.
In closing, there aren't any Hilton hotels in Osoyoos. We can therefore not respond to their rates being less expensive than $159.00 a night for a unit that sleeps 5 persons. We are sorry to hear you won't be entrusting us with a another holiday stay.

Regards,
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

I've had the pleasure of staying here on more than one occasion. I've seen quite a bit of Osoyoos over the years and Destiny Beach Resort is by far the best place to stay. No other establishment offers as many amenities such as kitchens that are stocked with coffee makers, pots, pans, dishes and cutlery, micro-waves, fridges with freezers (not bar fridges), gazebos, barbeques, fire pits, direct access to the lake, a private dock, heated pool, and friendly service for such a reasonable and low cost. While Destiny Beach Resort does not supply your food, your coffee, or your personal maid service, they do supply you with everything you need to enjoy your stay: clean towels, clean rooms, clean common areas and extremely friendly and personal service if you have any needs. Destiny Beach Resort is 100% family oriented and is a definite home away from home.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

On the beach ... so what. This is a sad imitation of family-run motel on a beachfront is embarrassingly tiny (maybe 60 feet or so for the guests). Frankly, Destiny Beach Resort is a cheap rip-off that's all about grabbing your money. Your credit card is charged a 'non-refundable deposit' immediately upon booking. This should be everyone's first, great-big, red flag that they should look elsewhere. Our undersized room came with an uncomfortable bed and upstairs neighbours whose children used the staircase as a trampoline until 1:00 am in the morning ... speaking to them did absolutely no good (and clearly the 10:00 pm end to pool hours is not enforced ... thankfully we were not across from the pool). With the pounding the stairs took, the windows were actually shaking in our unit. An extra $18 charge appeared at check-in ... so we were at $138 total for a 'view' of the parking stall our vehicle was in, but only after the Escalade driver who parked across from us most unwillingly unhitched his boat trailer so we could park. No phone. Shower-stall only, no bathtub. No hand-soap or shampoo in the bathroom. Housekeeping unit, but without salt, pepper or sugar? Guests are required to hand-wash their dishes or cover an additional $25 charge, but there is no dish-washing soap. Expect to buy your own coffee and condiments. Extremely disappointing for the money. If you want to enjoy your stay, look elsewhere. We would never go back, even if it was free.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Destiny Beach Resort? Share your experiences!