“Worst Service EVER!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Watermark Beach Resort

You added Watermark Beach Resort to your Saves list
Watermark Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Park Place | PO Box 700, Osoyoos, British Columbia V0H 1V0, Canada   |
Special Offer
Dining Package
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Osoyoos
Vancouver, Canada
“Worst Service EVER!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

I was interested in what seemed like a great vacation spot for my family. I was at the lobby with my toddler when a big dog came charging towards her. The dog was not on a leash and there were 3 hotel receptionists on site and not one of them said anything to the owner of the dog. I was waiting for awhile at the reception and this was the second time this dog was out loose at the LOBBY!!! Needless to say, I will not stay and would not recommend this place to family with young children. The receptionist told me that the dog wasn't a pitt bull so it didn't matter. They said the dog was tame. Isn't it common curteousy to leash your dog inside a hotel lobby???? All three staff at the front desk were very unprofessional. Very disappointing. Was looking forward to what LOOKED like a great spot. Too bad the staff killed it for me.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
PScanlon, Manager at Watermark Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2010
Thank you taking the time to relay your recent experience at the Resort. While this incident seemed to stem from another guest of the resort, it was certainly highlights the need for our Guest Services Team to be more sensitive in situations like this. Knowing this is an isolated incident I hope you will return to Watermark in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

A few notes from a recent 1-night stay @ Watermark (4 adults on a wine tour).

The ‘Buyer Beware’ remarks:

1) To our immense surprise - the property was packed with kids & young families. Outside on your patio or around the pool deck - loud. Very loud.

2) Request a suite off the ground floor if you want a view. We were promised such (views) & couldn’t see the lake from anywhere in the room - though perhaps the mountains opposite. A bit disappointed, especially given the resort’s website photos.

3) If you’re in a group of 4 or more - definitely spend the extra money to book the townhouses. Especially if peace, quiet & privacy are things you value in a vacation. The townhouses are separate from the rest of the resort & seemed a far better bet. We were kicking ourselves for booking 2 separate rooms for our party.

4) Check in - though the staff was friendly - was painfully slow. 10 minutes or more to fill out “paperwork” and provide such details as our address and home phone. Had to wonder why they needed this - and what the paperwork was for given that we’d paid in advance.

The good - what we liked

1) Interior fittings and finishings are to a very high standard - Kohler everything, Royal Dalton dishware & Reidel wine glasses. Beds are comfy and the kitchen is well stocked.

2) There’s a supermarket just around the block & a nearby liquor store too. If travelling by car, perhaps bring more particular foodstuffs with you as the supermarket’s selection is limited.

The patios are nice & it was great to sit around all night drinking Osoyoos’ best vino.

Summary:

In all, a good stay & loved drinking our morning coffee in the sun by the pool. Just take advance precautionary measures if you don’t have - and don’t really like - children!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
PScanlon, Manager at Watermark Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Thank you very much for your recent comments on your stay with us. I certainly get the impression that you were unaware that Osoyoos is a huge family vacation destination in the summer months. I suspect that late June or early September may be the best time for you to travel to the region as most of the families come to the region during the summer school break and the weather is fantastic, especially in early September. I do look forward to welcoming you again and hope your next stay with us meets your expectations.

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

Ahh, to find a resort with such potential in the Interior, I love it! This really is a beautiful setting and the Watermark did the homework on facilities, pool, etc. Bed was very comfortable, the kitchen and bathroom have nice fixtures and are well designed. The staff are polite and competent, and were able to help with a few things that hadn’t been done (no coffee in the room etc.). My real complaints come from light, noise and the elevator. My suggestions are to provide blackout blinds for those of us that don’t want to be woken at 6am on a holiday, provide better soundproofing or corral the partiers in before 2am please J. And for the elevator, get another one!!! It’s ridiculous how long you have to wait to get from the parking lot to your room, especially for a place designed for week long stays with in room kitchens!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for posting your comments. Blackout Blinds are certainly a good suggestion, one that has been brought up before and we are currently looking at the possibilities of adding them into our guest rooms. I will certainly look into the speed of our elevators to see if there is anything we can do about it. Again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed over the long weekend, the weather was bit iffy but the resort was excellent . We stayed in a 2 bd over looking the lake. What a view!. The unit was beautiful, granite and tiles. Very comfortable beds. The outside deck was the best feature, it was huge(table for 6). We tried the retaurant and found the food to be very good and quite reasonable. The wine bar was good and the staff was friendly. The kids really enjoyed the pool, slide and 2 hot tubs. I really liked the steam room. Can't beat the location. We did not drive for the 5 days we were there except for a round of golf. Will definetly stay there again. Beautiful hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your review. It certainly sounds like your family had a wonderful time in Osoyoos. The view from our Lake View Suites is amazing and the kids certainly seem to enjoy the pool deck. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Parksville, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My wife and I spent two nights at the Watermark in a studio. Some things were very good. The unit itself was excellent, with a fully equipped kitchen and plenty of room. We ate in the restaurant, choosing the tapas style small plates to share. This made for a great meal, and was likely cheaper than ordering off the main menu. They also have a wide selection of local wine.

There were some issues, though. The resort is right in town and as we were Hotwire customers, we got a room at the back, naturally. As previous reviewers have identified, this is not a good thing. The deck is very spacious, but opens on to Highway 3. Very noisy, and not terribly esthetically pleasing, particularly as the the other side looks out over the lake. There is wifi, but it was very weak. To connect, we had to go onto the deck.

Then there were the keys. For some reason, our keys both became deactivated when we tried to access the parking garage. They couldn't be replaced or recoded because the machine was down. They said someone would be up with a new key, but it took hours, giving us the feeling of being trapped in our room. Eventually, they gave us what I believe is the strata owner's key, something they could have done in the first place.

This is a very kid friendly place, which is not a bad thing by any means, and through the reviews we had read, we were expecting that. There is no question that a relaxing time by the pool is unlikely here.

On balance, there was more good than bad, and I would expect that some of the rough spots will be worked out. I don't think I'd stay in the back, however.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
My thanks to you for posting this review. I am pleased to read the good points you have mentioned and also appreciate the constructive comments on some of the things that were not up to expectations. I do hope that you stay with us again and would certainly recommend booking and confirming a Lake View Suite.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Good first. Beautiful resort. Pool and water slide is great as well as the view as long as you don't book the rooms at the back of the hotel...they overlook the road. Rooms were clean except for some clothes left in the closet from the last guests. The manager did compensate for the mess up at the start of our vacay and sent up wine and fruit plate with the wrong guys name on it. That was fixed after 10 mins and they realized the wrong envelope went to the wrong room he got it for free and we got 50percent off.
Now for the mess up confusion that had me a bit worried to say the least. I was in Osoyoos staying at another resort (Spiritridge...stayed and loved many times) I wanted to try something different this time so we had a couple of days planned at Watermark. I decided last minute that I only wanted one night at Watermark so I called them to cxl one night. They said I did not have a reservation for those dates, you were here on the weekend and checked out. I said No i was not and I have my confirmation sheet from you guys with the right dates on it. Long and short of it some how they got me mixed up with someone else and charged there stay on my CC.....yes they did.....how this happens I have no idea. They said the guy on the weekend had the same name. I said do you not verify CC numbers and addresses? NO response....they screwed up big time. Thank goodness they had rooms for my dates I had booked or I would have gone over the edge. Then they said they would try and have the room done early. Guess what check in is 4pm .......we got the room at 4:50pm after we camped out in front of it with 5 kids and a dog! Not a great start, but I am usually easy to please and am still not 100 percent certain my CC bill will come in charged properly.
Again nice resort but have some front desk issues. Need more communcation. Everyone was very nice but things like this are not supposed to happen.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I am very pleased you found our Resort overall to meet your expectations but certainly understand your concern and frustration over the mix-up in the reservations process. This experience was a lesson for the Guest Services Team to learn from and I apologies to you for your inconvenience. I certainly do hope that we can welcome you again and allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Osoyoos is a great little town, not a lot of action but hey your going there for the wine! The Watermark is in the center of town, the property is new (Nov 2009) and has the perfect location on the lake, truely on the beach. The staff were helpful and nice. The restaurant staff were friendly and the food was very good. Enjoy the valley wineries, best option book a tour we did Desert Valley Tours with Kent, he is resourceful and knows the places to go, selecting them based on your taste in wine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
PScanlon, Manager at Watermark Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Thank you for your comments and the great endorsement of the Resort and the Town of Osoyoos. Both are indeed fantastic and it sounds like you had a great time. Hopefully your travels can bring you back in the near futures.

Hotel Manager

Been to Watermark Beach Resort? Share your experiences!