“Nice Location, But...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Green Gables Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Osoyoos
Green Gables Beach Resort
You added Green Gables Beach Resort to your Saves list
7304 Main Street, Osoyoos, British Columbia V0H 1V3, Canada   |
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Osoyoos
Chilliwack, Canada
“Nice Location, But...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Sadly the lakefront location is the only really good thing I can say about this motel. It's an older motel(I would guess 60/70 years old) & it looks like it. Generations of accumulated paint, dated fixtures, squeaky floorboards,etc. The lake view balcony we had was nice but the thought that it looks like it could drop off the building crossed my mind!The parking lot is horribly narrow & I'm glad we had the wife's car & not my truck. The B&B we stayed at the next 2 nights made this place look positively dumpy. I guess you get what you pay for, but the B&B was only a couple of bucks more. While we were here this place was obviously home to some transient fruit-pickers, something I personally wouldn't knock but other people should be aware of.We've stayed here twice now, but it's time to move on to more luxurious accommodations.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

My partner and I travel from Vancouver to Osoyoos every May long weekend for the past five years to stay at the Green Gables Resort. But after this year we will not be back ever again. The location is perfect for family, right on the beach, quiet and peaceful. This was the first year that we brought with us some other family members (nine in total, three rooms). All three rooms were dirty. The resort was unprepared for our visit. Yet, we booked our rooms three weeks in advance. Here are some of the reasons we will not be returning.

1. Rooms unclean, cobwebs with dead mosquitoes hanging from every corner.
2. Window sills hosting dead mosquitoes and cobwebs.
3. No stopper for bath tubs.
4. No dish soap provided, but a notice informing us that there would be a $10 charge if we didn't clean our dishes.
5. Garbage bins that were provided were full. And yet we were the only guests for the weekend.
6. Bed sheet was dirty.
7. Picnic tables were painted on the day of our arrival. We had to use a tacky picnic table to eat dinner on.
8. My sister was charged for a hide-a-bed that she didn't need because she was ill informed at the time of booking. ( the care taker was very unclear what the room contained at the time of booking)
9. While booking a member of our party had asked about pets. When checking out it was noticed that the member of our party had been charged for a pet. No pet was brought with us. ( the care taker failed to notice no pet in TWO DAYS that we stayed)
10. Room doors were left open prior to our arrival so each room was full of mosquitoes when we arrived. Good Job we brought a can of raid.
11. Could only get 1/3 of the bar-b-ques to work, even then, I had to use a stick and a lighter to get it going because the electric starter was broken.
12. Resort located on the beach, therefore one can expect sand to be tracked from beach to room. Black top and beach enterance were not swept at all to reduce the amount of sand beign tracked. Leafs, sticks, and debri that was blown in was not swept up to keep the general tidiness on the place.

All in all, the customer care and attention to detail was lacking. Also the customer service was non-extistant, best discribed as rude, grumpy, unhelpful. Made us feel as if we were unwelcome. And as a guest for the last 5 years we have seen this once beautiful gem slide down hill. It breaks our hearts that we will not return to this place.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
, Owner at Green Gables Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
We are sorry to hear our your experience. We do hope that you will give the motel another try at a later date.
Richmond, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We spent two nights at Green Gables. The price is good, the location is just great.. it's right on the beach and our room had a balcony overlooking the beach. The room slept four being a small space but we were not planning to be in the room most of the time. Small TV, outdated bathroom and the kitchen was well stocked with practically everything you needed.

Problem: a mouse found it's way into our room during out last night stay. We woke up to scratching and I saw it go between the fridge and the bottom kitchen cabinet where pots and pans were stored. We found a mouse dropping on the kitchen counter top. I thought perhaps the mouse entered from the balcony door and suggested to the staff that screens might be in order.. but the response was "they run around in the walls and it was to be expected of a beach location." and perhaps that is reasonable.

We packed up, threw some food away that was sitting on the counter and went out for breakfast . I was disppointed with the staff's comments. A "what do you expect me to do about it" attitude was provided. . An apology or a discount would have been nice.

The location is great, but I have decided I won't be returning.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
, Manager at Green Gables Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 22, 2012
We hope that you will give our property another chance.
Ponoka, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

My husband & I & 2 children have stayed here for the last 3 years & are returning in July, so obviously we love it! We love that it is on the beach, has kitchenette, outdoor bbqs & tables! It is great for families, we didnt have to worry about our kids, & they met lots of friends! We have met lots of people too, & get together a little bit each year! I have found the staff very friendly, & accomodating! You are not bothered by a maid every morning, & can go grab your own towels or whatever you need from the housekeeping room! Expect some sand, because you are on the beach! convenient area, well priced, nice beach, comfortable, no strict curfews, or rules, other than respect for your neighbors, & clean up after yourself!! We compare it to a little Mexico! You are on Vacation! Relax or go to a fancy resort! its awesome that it is run by a couple, & not a coorporation, I'm sure they need hours off too! we are now bringing my sister & her family, recommend it to friends, & will remember our good times here for years to come!! Enjoy maybe see you in July!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Burnaby
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Green Gables Beach Resort in Osoyoos August 6-9th.
We were suposed to stay until the 10th but we had to leave a day early.

The owners are husband and wife and when we first arrived we checked in with the wife.
We had our boat and wanted to know where the nearest boat launch was and what some of the good wineries were, she had no idea. She didn't really have many answers for anything really.
We got our key and went up to our room.

The room was dirty and looked like someone took a whole 5 minutes to clean it.
There was sand in our bed, a crusty macaroni noodle stuck in the carpet, a dirty ashtray with butts in it on the balcony table and in the corners of almost every wall/ceiling there were spider webs and dead bugs.
Our air conditioner was taped together with silver tape and looked like it was bought back in 1962.

We were willing to look past the dirty room and were in good spirits and excited for our holiday on the beach.
The beach was nice and our hotel room overlooked the water.

On our second night there, we decided to make dinner at the motel.It has a full kitchen and they provide outdoor bbqs.
The dishes were dirty with dried food stuck to them so we had to rewash everything.
After we had dinner we sat at the table in the room when the air conditioning died. It was 7:30pm. An air conditioner is manditory in Osoyoos.
Even at night the desert heat is unbearable.
My husband, who is an electrician tried to fix it but it would not work.
So we went down to the owner's office and tried ringing the buzzer for help but no one answered.
So we went back to our room and opened the doors, although there is no breeze.
We both had beads of sweat coming down our foreheads and knew we would not get any sleep with the heat.
So my husband unplugged the air conditioner again and put it in the bottom plug instead and it worked!
We were so happy for about 2 minutes until all the power went out in our room.
We tried to get a hold of the owners but had no luck.
I left two messages on their answering machine advising them of the situation and left our cell phone number.
We asked the people staying next to us if their power was out and it wasn't. Our room was the only room with no power.
We figured out that the fuse was blown but could not locate the fuse box anywhere.
We opened the front door to our room and the balcony door and went tried to get some sleep.
I slept in my clothes because I could not find my pajamas in the dark.

The power came back on at 9:30am.
So we went 12 hours (8:30am-9:30am) without power.
We didn't not receive a phone call and no one appologized for not getting back to us.

I opened the fridge and the two bags of ice had melted and our food was floating in the bottom drawer.
Our milk was warm. We also steaks, eggs, cheese, mayo, salad dressing etc in there that we thew out because we didn't trust to eat it.
I plugged in the kettle to make some tea. I poured the water in my cup and out came a bunch of black sludgy mildew.
We decided to go for breakfast.

On our way out to breakfast, we popped into the owners office.
I asked the lady if she received my messages and she said she did.
She said she was out for the evening and her husband Theo had gone to bed early and he didn't hear us ringing the buzzer.
I told her our power was out for 12hours and our food had spoiled and that we didn't get much sleep because of the heat.
I asked if they had an emergency number and she said no.
She said we would work something out with us when we check out.
We were very polite about it. We were not rude to her.
And everything seemed fine when we left the office.

The next day my husband was sorting out the recycling and garage in the common area.
I was coming down the stairs and saw Theo, the owner, come up to him and say with his face all red, a big frown on his face and his hands on his hips.
"So you mean to tell me that your power went out for 12 hours"
my husband said "yes it did".
Theo then says "what did you do? did you have to many things plugged in?"
my husband said "no, just the air conditioner".
Theo then says " So you are telling me that your food went bad in 12 hours?"
My husband said "yes it did"
Theo throws his hands up in the air and says "AHHH, you are just making up stories" and started walking away. I saw the look of confusion and disbelief on my husband's face.
At that point, I was angry.
After all of this, he is accusing us of lying!
So I came down the stairs and said "excuse me sir, our power was out for 12 hours and we could not get anyone to help us and you are getting mad at us?"
I could not find my pajamas or toothbrush,. our groceries went bad, and we were so hot in our room we got no sleep.
We couldn't watch tv.....at that point Theo interupted me and says "AHH... you are trying to tell me you came up here to watch tv?"
I said "my point is we paid for a room with power". Theo butts in again and says "And you have to go around telling everyone here about it?"
"I said no, I only told our neighbours, but you better believe that now I will tell as many people I can about it!"
Theo says "Well I was going to give you guys $25 dollars to pay for your food but now I don't think I will".
I said "$25 dollars? you should give us a free night"
Theo says waving his hand "AHHH, Your being an idiot now!"
Then my husband stepped in and said " We paid to stay here and I cannot believe you are treating us like this. We will not be back here again".
Theo said "no, you guys won't be back here again next year, in fact why don' t you guys pack up your bags and get the hell out of here today!"

We were both in shock. So we went up to our room, packed up our stuff, cleaned up the room and pulled our boat out of the water.
Everywhere in Osoyoos was booked but luckily we called and found a room in Penticton for that night.

We went into the office to check out.
The wife rang up our bill for the 3 nights while Theo sat in the corner with his arms folded in front of him and face still red and mad.
We didn't say a word until the wife says "so did you check out any wineries while you were here?"
My husband responded "yes we did".
Then Theo throws an envelope across the table and says in a mono tone voice "here is $25.00 for your food...our apologies."
My husband said "thanks"
Then we left.
I felt like crying when we left.

We really liked Osoyoos but I doubt we will ever go back there because that whole experience left us with a bad feeling.
We both took time off of work to enjoy a nice holiday but Green Gables Beach Resort ruined it for us.

The only good thing about our trip was going to the best Italian Restaurant ever.
Its called Campos Marina and its really close to the motel.
There is always a line up there but it was well worth the wait.
Try and get Michael for a waiter. He is very friendly and will recommend the best dishes and he is an excellent server.
I think he said he has worked there for about 10 years.
The pasta is home made and delicious!

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The management and it was dirty.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Green Gables Beach Resort? Share your experiences!