“I Highly Recommend the Holiday Inn Markham” 5 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Toronto - Markham
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7095 Woodbine Avenue, Markham, Ontario L3R 1A3, Canada   |
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Markham
Rochester, NY
“I Highly Recommend the Holiday Inn Markham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

My family and I travel often for my son's hockey tournaments and we recently had the pleasure of staying at the Holiday Inn Hotel in Markham. I must admit I wasn't sure what to expect given some of the other hotels we've stayed in over the last few years but much to my delight the experience we had at the Holiday Inn in Markham surpassed any hotel experience we have had for some time.

From the moment, we called to book our reservation the service was superb. We called the hotel directly to book our room as we were coming with a hockey team. The young lady who took our reservation was friendly and even took the time to tell us about the hotel's pool & restaurant facilities since she knew we were travelling with children.

The staff at the hotel were outstanding. At check-in, the front desk staff took the time to ask the kids about their hockey team and wish them luck in their tournament. They had maps and directions already prepared to give us when we inquired where the arena was. But even more amazing was the fact that they remembered us two days later and as we were walking through the lobby, they congratulated my son on the team's win.

Our room was clean and very spacious since there were four of us staying there. Although I never saw the lady who cleaned our room, she did a great job.

We also ate quite a few meals at the hotel restuarant. The food was very tasty and they had a great selection for both the adults and children at reasonable prices.

Having stayed at many hotels I know no matter where you stay you will always get a bed to sleep in but what really makes the stay is the service and the people. The Holiday Inn in Markham provides exceptional service and have one of the best, if not the best staff I have ever encoutered at a hotel, staff who genuinely care.
Whether you are travelling to Markham for a hockey tournament like me or for any other reason I highly recomment this hotel for your stay.

Hockey Mom

• Liked — The genuine staff who really cared
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Traverse City, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

This hotel has a nice appearance, inside and out. The rooms are stylish and modern. The employees were all very friendly and seemed to care. This should have been a nice stay, but . . .

We arrived after check-in but were told that our room was not ready and it would be no more than 30 minutes. Having driven 8 hours, I was not happy, but I could tell they were very busy, and the desk clerk, Erin (exceptionally nice and apologetic), offered me a couple of free drink coupons in the lounge and told me we could take the kids to the pool in the meantime, so I figured we’d make the best of it.

Now call me picky, but there were no chairs or tables in the pool area – OK, there were 2 or 3 that appeared to have been taken by guests from another area of the hotel just so they would have a place to sit down to supervise their children swimming. So I sat on the bare tile floor watching the kids swim – not very pleasant. Then I noticed there were no clean towels. When the kids were ready to get out, I dialed the front desk on the emergency phone and they did show up with some after about 10 minutes. You would think after my kids had been swimming for nearly an hour someone from the staff would have checked the towel situation – they did not.

Meanwhile, my wife had left the pool area to see if the room was ready and it was, but when they took her to the room it had a double bed and a pull out sofa that was the size of a twin bed -- we have two kids, so my wife demanded two beds that will sleep two people each. They took her to two other rooms before they gave her one that would reasonably sleep 4 people, and by now it was over an hour since we had arrived. By this time, my kids wanted to get out of the pool but I told them we had to wait for mom to get back. My daughter was cold and just wanted out and of course there were no towels or chairs for her to sit in so I told her to keep swimming. By now I had been sitting on the floor for over an hour, occasionally getting wet from a football some kids were tossing around. I finally gave up and told the kids to get out and dry off the best they could and we all went in search of mom, the kids in their wet swim suits because mom had their cover-ups because she never imagined it would take an hour to get into the room.

Later that night my son and I went swimming. We swam for about 30 minutes. Then my son wanted to get out and again, no towels. I called again and this time we waited over 25 minutes and finally gave up. My son was cold and tired of swimming so we got out and literally dried off with paper towels from the changing room – yuck! We were still pretty wet when we wrangled our way into our shirts and went sloshing our way to the elevator. By the way, the hotel website advertises a “huge” pool – it was decent size, but not huge, and there is very little space around the edges for anyone to sit (if there had been any chairs) so it is cramped and just generally not a good pool scene.

The restaurant is your typical Holiday Inn – the atmosphere is a little creepy (I think it’s because it is too formal for what it is), but if you have small kids it is economical ($38 for all you can eat dinner buffet – kids eat free), the food selections are generally wholesome, and it is convenient since you do not have to leave the hotel to get there.
In general the hotel is clean and well decorated, however, the lower level which is where the gym and pool and conference rooms are located smells like stale alcohol and cigarettes. They really need some new carpeting.

Finally, we had booked a room for $123 and were not told what the bed type would be but were assured it would be adequate for 4 people. The room we finally got after my wife had to keep putting her foot down for enough bed space was a king suite with a twin size sofa bed and enough room for a rollaway bed. This was a significant upgrade in price from the room we booked ($180), and they did not charge us more for it under the circumstances, but I sure would not have been happy had we paid full price for this room. Had they just had a full size sleeper sofa it would have been fine and why every hotel suite in America doesn’t just have a full size sleeper sofa I’ll never figure. The separate bedroom was very nice and large, but still it was cramped in the living room area with a roll away and sofa bed. The plasma screen TV in the living area was nice until someone bumped a cord and it went out and there was no way to fix it because the cords are all behind a fixed wooden panel. The last complaint I have is the rollaway bed. When my daughter told me it was really hard I figured she was just being overly picky. I tried it myself and it was like sleeping on a sheet of plywood. I told her to just sleep with us in the king bed it was so bad. I think anyone who slept on that thing would need a chiropractor the next morning.

All in all, I would not stay here again. It’s too bad, because with a few changes this could be a nice stay -- but travel should not be this much work! I used to think of Holiday Inn as reliable, but, frankly, it’s been a long time since I’ve stayed in a Holiday Inn I could recommend.

• Liked — generally clean and stylish -- location was convenient and employees friendly
  • Disliked — did not get room requested; room not ready at check in; pool had no chairs/tables and not stocked with towels; roll away bed hard as a rock; lower level smelled like stale beer; slow elevators
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

Hi;

The hotel has been newly renovated and looks very nice. I had a room on a higher floor and had a great view of Toronto. The highway is very close by and made my travel very easy. The room was large and clean. People were friendly and helpful. I found that they had a free weekday evening shuttle to nearby restaurants.... I did not have to worry about having a drink and driving. All in all a great stay and very good value.

KB

• Liked — Friendly people
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2008

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Markham at the beginning of February 2008 for 4 nights and I had a great experience. The rooms were very clean and newly renovated giving me a very comfortable stay. All the staff I interacted with were extremely friendly and helpful making my stay more enjoyable. The front desk staff was very knowledgeable about the surrounding areas, making it very easy to find attractions and restaurants within the Markham area. I ate at the restaurant a few times throughout my stay and enjoyed the food and its presentation, as well as the service. I would recommend this property to people searching for a hotel within the Markham area and will definitely return to the Holiday Inn when I am in the area! :)

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2008

I booked an Executive class room (King) because I was told these were all newly renovated rooms. Everything was very clean and attractive, nice furniture, excellent bathroom, convenient work desk. Only minor problem was a troublesome TV remote control.

Besides the comfortable and clean room, I also enjoyed the free of charge mini fridge and internet access. No problems with either. Their parking is in an open-air parkade but is covered to protect from rain/snow so this is a convenient bonus.

The swimming pool was warm and clean. Also the staff was very helpful in fulfilling requests of mine. I'm a picky person but really I have nothing to complain about, room was excellent and the whole facility is very nice.

I searched for hotels in the north/east area around Toronto and decided on this one. This is a clean area of Toronto close to the wealthy Richmond Hill area, located right off the 404/Don Valley Parkway.

• Liked — Very high quality room for reasonable cost ($120)
  • Disliked — TV remote control problems, was annoying
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2007

stayed at this hotel for one night in August. Got one of the updated rooms with marble-like floors and a fancy looking sink and faucet in bathroom, but bathtub was old. I booked another room for the kids but they only had rooms with one queen bed and a sofa bed so that was a bummer. The queen bed was comfortable and room was clean. The hotel is close to the highways and to restaurants in a typical urban sprawl location. Free internet (Wired) in rooms and wireless in lobby. Breakfast was $10/person at hotel restaurant but we did not eat there. Parking was free. Staff not very friendly (and this coming from someone who was on the way back from Montreal, where by the way people were suprisingly friendlier). Got a good deal on priceline so it was good value ($55/night) but I will try somewhere else next time.

Stayed August 2007
TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

We had two rooms at the Markham Holiday Inn for six nights. We were a little apprehensive given the reviews. However, it was a very positive experience. We found the staff to to be friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The hotel is centrally located and accessible. Supposedly the lower level rooms are the least desirable. Our rooms were on the 6th floor and were in good condition. Free covered parking is a nice bonus. We would recommend this hotel. We got the rooms through Priceline for a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Toronto - Markham? Share your experiences!