“They cancelled our reservation....ON OUR WEDDING NIGHT” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Toronto / Markham Suites Conference Centre & Spa

You added Hilton Toronto / Markham Suites Conference Centre & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Toronto / Markham Suites Conference Centre & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8500 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario L6G 1A5, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Markham
Markham, Canada
“They cancelled our reservation....ON OUR WEDDING NIGHT”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The only reason I didn't give this a one star review is because the property itself is very nice. It was renovated last year and now looks quite modern with today's aesthetic standards. Also, I love how grand the main lobby is, something which is quite common in even semi-modest hotels in Asia but sadly often lacking in many nice hotels in North America. And the rooms are all suite-sized rooms, so paying this much money for a pretty gigantic room is actually excellent value.

Now for the BAD part...my wife and I got married in April 2014 and reserved a room here for our wedding night getaway. We didn't hold the wedding reception here itself but that's neither here nor there. I booked through the reservation phone line which is the property's own (not Booking.com or Expedia or any 3rd party phone line). I even reconfirmed the booking (who even does that anymore?) a few days before the wedding day to make sure everything is good. I was assured that it was, there was a note put on my reservation that this was going to be our wedding night.

Come the day itself, we found out that the hotel was overbooked and that they had arranged for us to be transferred to stay at the more unimpressive Delta Hotel, around 2 blocks away. WHO DOES THIS on someone's wedding night? We are usually very amiable (and tbh we are rather pushovers in the grand scheme of life) but on this day we were so angry. My wife was yelling in her bridal gown when we wanted to check in before leaving for the night's reception. The front desk repeatedly told us that there was a huge conference + tons of walk ins and that the rooms were overbooked. I said I didn't care as I made the reservation two months or so ago before the actual wedding date. Funnily enough, after making a very pointed complaint and bordering on making a scene, a room just "magically" became available.

What did we get as compensation from this? An apology card and what essentially amounted to a fruit basket. Apparently after causing us this much grief, we couldn't even get the room comped to us because we chose not to accept their offer of being relocated. So at the end of the day, we got a room only after we yelled for 15 minutes in the front lobby in our full wedding outfit, and we didn't even get a proper compensation out of it. I can't remember now but at best I think we were offered a pittance of a discount, which I don't even think we could use because we prepaid the room. And I'm not even sure anymore if that occured.

Great property, but I repeat: what kind of hotel KICKS OFF a couple on their wedding day who have booked the room two months in advance, simply because they filled the room with walk-ins which caused overbooking?

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

I stay here a lot for work. I have recently just come from another Hilton property in the US that had this place beat but a wide margin on wifi. I never thought I'd be commenting on how important this feature is, but if I can't even check my email without a crash, or can't hold a connection by more than 5 mins, then the service really isn't a strive, it's an annoyance. The staff is pleasant rooms and beds are comfy..room service is fast and good...but that wifi....

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

The entrance to this hotel has a large open atrium with pleasant bar area. My room, or suite, was clean and very well equipped with lots of space for either work or rest. Even though this was by the lift area, there was really disturbance from this.

Breakfast was very good with a good range on offer, and service was friendly and helpful. Didn't have much time to use any of the other amenities this time around, but would definitely stay here again. My only grumble would be paying nearly $10 / day for wifi.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

It's a nice property, lobby is a large atrium, nice lobby bar... very nice gym. But it could use some "refreshing up".

I stay there a decent amount for work. The TV/Cable never seem to work very well, the Wi-Fi can be very week depending on where your room is.

The Breakfast is not worth the $20 they charge.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We live near by so this hotel was in the right place for our honeymoon evening. The hotel is beautiful, the room came with breakfast in their beautiful dining area. The spa is located on site offering many treatments and indulgences. I enjoyed a facial and massage as well as a pedicure. Left feeling pampered and ready to start a our new life together!

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Haley W, Front Office Manager at Hilton Toronto / Markham Suites Conference Centre & Spa, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Melodie,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience on Trip Advisor! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and will be looking forward to having you again in future travels.

Congratulations and see you again soon.

Haley Weeden
haley.weeden@hilton.com
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The Hilton, I am happy and sad at the same time to report, is the only hotel in Ontario in which I've found no mould. No mould! Congratulations Hilton for cleaning your bathrooms. Properly. And thank you. This Hotel has great rooms, good service, reasonable food and is overall a good value. Clean. updated. Quite stylish & no hidden creepiness. Will definitely return, if only for the clean bathrooms! Recommended.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Dear Canada Mama4,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with regards to a recent stay. We greatly appreciate all the comments and are so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay!

We look forward to having you back.

Haley Weeden
haley.weeden@hilton.com
Stockholm County, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Very little seems to change with the Markham suites over the years. It is a nice, stable business hotel. The art deco style might not be for everybody, but it is clean and well maintained in general, and the rooms are really suites complete with a separate living room. The bar isn't anything to speak of, and the breakfast is adequate but not spectacular, but it's not a place I would hesitate to recommend for somebody who needs a place to stay in the Toronto area and travels by car.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Toronto / Markham Suites Conference Centre & Spa? Share your experiences!