“..., not a bed-bug rest stop!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Markham
London, Ontario, Canada
“..., not a bed-bug rest stop!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

For 20 years now, I have owned and operated a private investigation agency and paralegal firm in London Ontario..., so.., I know how make astute observations and tell it like it is. I stayed at this COMFORT INN in MARKHAM, Ontario, on February 26th and 27th, 2013 as I had to conduct an investigation in the area. I've been staying at COMFORT INNS for over twenty years now... Admittedly.., I read the last comment about "bed-bugs".... from "Shelly V".. ... I cannot.., and will not support her comments.., as my experience, as always.., when staying at COMFORT INNS..., has always been pleasant and over all, very satifying, as it was at the Markham location. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. The room was spotless. I really appreciated the "mini frig" and "mini microwave" and in particular.., it is always very convenient to park my company vehicle just outside the 1stb floor patio doors, giving me free and easy access to bring items (luggage and the like) into my room. The bed was exceptionally comfortable with great pillows. There was great water pressure for the shower and bathroom sink and lots of hot water. The morning breakfast was terrific and a good assortment. Bottom Line: I'm sold on COMFORT INNS... and will not accept these fear mungering tactics about bed-bugs! G.F. WHITE, London, Ontario.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
gmCN278, General Manager at Comfort Inn Toronto Northeast, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel. Glad to hear you enjoyed the comfort of our property and hope to see you return soon!!!

Regards,

Nick Udayakumar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Started off great, asked for a basic smoking room and the lady at the counter said $99/per night. Coming from a Ho/Jo down the street, mentioned they were offering $89 (but they didn't have smoking), "If you could match them I'll take it"... "Done" she said. After heading out to take care of some business, I came back to check in. Since some time had passed, it was a different rep at the counter, but when he looked up the name he saw the amount stated and off to the room I went. Dropped the bags/stuff in the room, left to grab some take out and brought it back to the Inn. After eating and television, it was time to crash as it was late already. Here comes the part you want to take note of... Adjusted the heat to high, the room was cold (understandably, considering it is Toronto in Feb. and they're not going to leave the heat on when there's no occupant(s)). Sleepy time... around an hour in, I start to feel discomfort, a lot of restlessness. Soon after, I remember scratching and itching... In a half deep sleep... tossing and turning, thought it might be the heat. Got up to reduce the setting, continued back to my in and out sleep experience. Recall thinking "I should go and get another room, something is wrong here." But because I was in that slumber, figured it was not worth the hassle of grabbing the gear and arranging for a swap... all this in a semi-conscious state of mind, sort of like a dream. Finally, had woken up from one of the worst sleep experiences, to realize the bite on my wrist was from a bed bug (saw it earlier, but shook it off as not a big deal, possible pimple). Continued to have the itchy feeling, at the back of my neck and also the inner thigh. When finding the bite on the knee, figured I had enough to show them what was up (It is known for indications to be visible after 24 hours). Now the not so fun part... In a city where your guilty before proven innocent, where the truth is found further than pluto... bringing it to the attention of the staff. That I did, and out came Nick the manager. He headed to the room to inspect, and after a few minutes, a staff member had asked if I could go to the room on his request. When I entered, there was Nick, a maintenance guy, and what appeared to be a cleaning lady. With the mattress flipped up, he pointed out the bed bug cover (which I saw before leaving the room earlier), stating that it is not possible because of this. In fact, it's more proof that they were trying to contain the problem, where he was claiming it as preventative measures. You see, bed bugs nest in the seams (edges) of mattresses and can live without feeding on blood for up to a year. If contained in this cover, after a year they should die out. But they are not full proof, plus they also live in the wood works of the frame. They can only be stopped through regular chemical treatment... Which is costly for the service, and closes the room from revenues. Plan B, a $10 cover and cross your fingers. There was no beating the arrogance of Nick. I looked him in the eye and asked (already knowing the answer from the bed bug cover) "Have you ever had a problem with bed bugs at this hotel." he answered "No, never." As soon as he said that the maintenance guy flinched and turned his head, a subconscious body movement when he heard the lie. In the room he lead me to believe he would comp a night, or even another at a different hotel if I was not comfortable with this one. This was quickly revoked in the lobby, when he acted like that was not what he meant. Here we go... the pay off for reading this review... The "Delta Hotel", where I'm sitting and writing this. Down the street on Hwy 7, $94, four stars... pool, spa, gym, room service and no bed bug covers. Not bad for five bucks more, eh. Stay away from The Comfort Inn (this one at least), unless you want to catch a glimpse of Nick, someone who needs to find God.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
gmCN278, General Manager at Comfort Inn Toronto Northeast, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We take every guest complaint seriously and it is our sincere aim to deliver the best customer service.

Upon check out you complained to the front desk staff about feeling itchy from bed bug bite. Since your complaint required immediate attention, the Maintenance Supervisor & the Head Housekeeper performed a thorough inspection of the bed linen and there were no blood stains or bugs that could be found on the linen or the pillows. We then proceeded to take the bed apart for further inspection and did not find any evidence of bed bugs. At this point we requested your presence in the room to show you that the room was bug free.

Due to warnings posted by the city about bed bugs, the hotel has made a major investment on purchasing encasements for all our mattress and box springs as a preventive measure to ensure that all our guest enjoy a bed bug free environment.

Based on the investigation conducted in your presence it was very clear that there was no evidence of bed bugs. Therefore the complaint did not warrant any compensation.

Regards,
Nick Udayakumar
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed for almost a month. Excellent staff, specially Nathan in the front desk. Very nice and WARM salt water pool, hottub and sauna, great for relaxing after a long day. Breakfast was pretty good and the rooms were very clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in October 2012. This was our third time staying at this property and we are always pleased with our stay. The rooms are clean and comfortable. However, during this stay we were placed in a room located to an entrance door. It was noisy when other guests entered the hotel and unfortunately we were woken up several times during the night. So, it might be a good idea to request a room away from the entrance doors. There are always a lot of parking spots available. The included breakfast was a nice touch. It has hot and cold items such as: waffles, eggs, english muffins and juice. In our experience it was always busy in the breakfast area and can at times be crowded when trying to prepare your food. We were unable to find a table to sit and eat so we had to bring our food back to our room to eat, which is not that big of an issue. I also want to note that we have always stayed on the weekend and maybe during the week it is not as busy. We enjoy staying at this hotel because it is across the road from lebarons (an outdoor store) and it is a short ride to the Vaughan mall . The hotel has a pool and hottub available for use and they are kept clean. There is also a gym which we did not use. When we went to use the pool we grabbed towels from our room. This was a good idea as there were no towels available at the pool. However, we did go down to the pool later at night so maybe earlier towels would have been available. Overall I would recommend this hotel and we plan to stay again.

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms near the side entrances!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This motel is clean, inexpensive and standard. It does the trick. Room was clean and has a microwave and mini fridge which is great. The only problem I had was that the mattresses and pillows are very uncomfortable. Overall its a good motel for a one night stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

A good clean and simple hotel. Service friendly. Nice pool. Breakfast is pretty basic but good enough. Get the CAA or AAA rate - much cheaper than regular rate. Only downside is there isn't anything nearby - you have to drive to get anything at all.

• Stayed October 2012
ottawa canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was ranked pretty high in trip advisor and now know why. The hotel was clean and check in was quick. We got a good rate. We had free wifi and free awesome breakfast. The room had a mini frig, coffee maker. The bed comfort was not to our liking but we managed. The breakfast in particular was awesome. The location was pretty close to the 404 off Woodbine and Hwy 7. I recommend this place and likely our next trip we will come back.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn Toronto Northeast? Share your experiences!