“Had dim sum over the weekend. First time going here since name change from Kirin's.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Palace

Ranked #117 of 258 Restaurants in Coquitlam
Cuisines: Chinese
Vancouver, BC, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I had dim sum Sunday afternoon here. When we got there about 12.10pm there was a huge line up. We did not make a reservation though. This place is always super busy though. When the restaurant was still Kirin's we could make dim sum reservations. We will have to try again to make a booking with Grand Palace.

We only had to wait about 30 minutes to get seated inside. We were walked to our table through a very big, busy dining area. Every table was gone. They give you a sheet of paper to mark your dim sum orders on. The writing was both in Chinese and English which is good. Once we completed our order we had to wait to get someone's attention. Eventually someone took our order/sheet and food arrived pretty quickly.

We had sticky rice, lotus flowers prawn and scallop dumplings, chicken steamed buns with ginger and herbs, prawn dumplings and more. The quallity was very good and certainly very tasty. Service was quite frantic though with every server trying to meet the needs of the masses here. At times it was rather abrupt though we got our food still and was of fine quality.

My wife and I are prone to getting upset tummies after eating dim sum, though we were totally fine after eating at Grand Palace. This will defintely be one of our regular restaurants to eat in.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

B.C.
“Still one of my favorite Chinese restaurants”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Kirin in Coquitlam was one of my favorite Chinese restaurants. Since Kirin has closed, Grand Palace replaced Kirin and is quite similar to Kirin. I would recommend this place if you are looking for Chinese food in Coquitlam.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burnaby
“Disappointing and disorganized”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

I don't know if we experienced a "bad night" but my family's recent Father's Day dinner at Grand Palace was quite poor. True, holidays and special event nights are busy, but the restaurant showed poor preparation and planning by not stocking up on ingredients. They had none of the following items, claiming they were sold out: prawns, scallops, geoduck. Really? It was 6:30 pm. On an evening where families would be going out for dinner to treat dear old dad? We half heartedly ordered our second string choice of dishes, including an appetizer. The first dish they brought out was an entree, not our appetizer. When we asked why we didn't get our appetizer first, there was a great deal of confusion and lack of clarity on whose dish belonged to whom. Service staff seemed indifferent and not very concerned about getting our order correct. As for the dishes themselves, they were OK. But the overall experience left us pretty disappointed. We were long term patrons of the Kirin restaurant that used to occupy this space and were sorry to see it close. In sum, this Grand Palace is not so grand.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Maple Ridge, Canada
“Fodd of excellent quality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Dim Sum Lunch
5 out of 5
I found this place of eatery very accommodating,The service was very good to say the least, was walked to my table and Dim Sum menu placed on the tabled along with the hot pot of Jasmine Tea.
The atmosphere was very nice.The food selection was a very good choice for a lunch menu and not to be forgotten all hot food was hot not warm or tepid.
The service was spontaneous there was no waiting when looking for another plate of this delicious Dim Sum hot food or deserts.
I had inquired about the dinner menu and was informed that it was an experience that one would have to be in attendance to fully appreciate .
They have there own Dim Sum chef which to me explains as to why this restaurant is one that should be selected to enjoy a lunch as well dinner as I have .
5 stars shining in full illumination.
I will be back.
Paul
I found this restaurant very very clean

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Great dim sum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012 via mobile

This used to be Kirin's Coquitlam location and sometime in late 2011 the company left. A Calgary company has taken it over. The food is as good or better than Kirin. Gone are the large menus, at least for Dim Sum, replaced by the ubiquitous paper list with items you check off. The food arrived hot and fresh and well prepared. Our party of five arrived at 1130 at the start of the brunch rush but the service was excellent...in fact better than the frequently aloof and slow staff that worked under Kirin's management. We over ordered and had food to go for 90 bucks for five people. The table was jammed with food and everyone loved it. We visited just a couple weeks after they opened in December 2011 so I hope they keep it up. We'll be back. It is better than just about every dim sum place I've been to in Vancouver. Yet another reason why we like living in the burbs.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere