“So flavourful!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“So flavourful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is comfort food full of amazing flavor! At first I was hesitant of trying somewhere new, but was I ever glad we did. We tried several things on the menu, and all tasted AMAZING ! I would definitely eat here again!

Visited July 2013

“sandwiches and stews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Sandwiches and stews and greasy
Had the grilled cheese sandwich that should have been put on a paper towel to absorb he grease first.
I was told that this was a great sandwich---NOT when I was there

Visited June 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“Good food, disappointing service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My adult son insisted on Burgoo's for our big family dinner during his visit to town, and it was great, with one glaring exception. One of the dishes, the ratatouille, arrived long after the other dishes had been served, at least 25 minutes late. Most of the other diners (we were six) had finished their meals by the time the ratatouille arrived. There was no real explanation for the lateness, just "sorry your dish will be a little late." The person who'd ordered the ratatouille decided not to keep everyone else waiting while she ate, and asked that it be doggy-bagged. When it came time to pay, I suggested to the waitress that the ratatouille should be taken off the bill, but she said "well you got it, right?", pointing to the bag with the ratatouille in it. We had to pay for what turned out to be an unintentional takeout meal (although it definitely affected the tip!).
A disappointing attitude from a restaurant that is generally known for its friendly service as well as its excellent food.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Vancouver, Canada
“Delicious Comfort Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

One of my favourite restaurants in North Van. Everything I've tried on their menu has been delicious! And it's nice but not "too fancy". Just warm and inviting - very relaxing.

Visited December 2012
Lynnwood, WA
“So good we ate here three times in three days!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We spent a long weekend in Vancouver, at the Pinnacle in North Van. Across the street are a number of nice-looking restaurants. Coming back from downtown after a day of sight-seeing, we liked the looks of Burgoo's menu and decided to give it a try. Are we glad we did! We ended up returning the next night for dinner, and again on Sunday morning for brunch, it was that good.

FOOD: Everything we had was really good, very tasty, large portions, perfectly seasoned. To start, we had the stout & cheddar fondue, and were practically licking the pot clean after we finished dipping all of the bread and fruit. The spinach and Caesar salads were spot-on, the latter with large, crunchy croutons.

For mains, we tried the chicken BLT, mac and cheese and more, Hungarian goulash, and kid's mac and cheese. The goulash was particularly good, with big chunks of beef seasoned in a sweet paprika sauce with veggies and dumplings. It was served in a large ramekin, and I would have normally taken half of it home, but being on vacation, didn't want to deal with leftovers, so I stuffed myself full. So good!

At brunch, we had a basket of amazing cheese and chive biscuits with apple cinnamon butter to start, and the mains we tried were the eggs burgoo and French toast. The eggs burgoo featured the signature burgoo dish (Kentucky stew made with lamb and beef, but originally with other types of game and smaller critters).topped by three scrambled eggs, with a biscuit. Not something I would typically order for breakfast, but I'm glad I did.

The tea service was above average, and my pot was promptly refilled with hot water for a second steeping of the very good (for restaurants) Two Leaves Assam tea.

SERVICE: All three servers were great, although we especially like our dinner servers: the were especially friendly, quick with a suggestion, attentive, and all around cheerful.

DECOR: The tables were all thick wooden slabs, comfortable padded benches and chairs, a large fireplace, and travel posters from around the world to highlight the international flair of the menu--in fact, all of the items are followed by the country/region of origin, with (BUR) indicating homegrown dishes.

LOCATION: A minute away from Lonsdale Quay, and across the street from the Pinnacle at the Pier hotel. Very convenient for us.

• Visited April 2013